Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:09 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I can see the endless continuum coming!

There's always going to be a 50th place with the lowest teacher pay, so then the lowest paid goes on strike, leaving a 50th place once again, then they go on strike, leaving a 50th place once again, and again, and again!

Sorry, I have little sympathy for teachers and their unions.

I work as a Nursing Assistant, make a lowly wage, and no union, and no union for the nurses I work for. And if we were to all walk off the jobs one day, how many might die as a result of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:30 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
At this point its a one day walkout. If they can get what they want and not have to make it longer I have no issue with that.
The students are not going to be set back. The teachers and administrators are working together on this. Originally, the teachers planned to walk out and disrupt the state testing schedule. But, in my district they have rescheduled state testing around the walkout, so that it will get done. After state testing it is pretty much over in schools anyway. There is not a lot of new material covered in the last two weeks.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:38 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
If these teachers were any good they'd be seeking to participate in a successful private educational endeavor, or in homeschooling; those who can't, or won't are just Left-leaning dead weight.

Which, given the NEA's goal of indoctrination rather than education, makes perfect sense
^ This. When I was an undergrad (business) some of the classes I had to take were full of want to be educators. Everyone I talked to went that route because of the ease to get a degree.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

There's always going to be a 50th place with the lowest teacher pay, so then the lowest paid goes on strike, leaving a 50th place once again, then they go on strike, leaving a 50th place once again, and again, and again!

I work as a Nursing Assistant, make a lowly wage, and no union, and no union for the nurses I work for. And if we were to all walk off the jobs one day, how many might die as a result of it!
I'm going to have to disagree with you. We both work stressful needed jobs and I thank you as a nursing assistant, but the cycle is caused by a race to the bottom, especially with the recession. The recession ended years ago, yet funding is not there. No state should settle as the bottom or even in the bottom five. I realize five will, but the states should be fighting for it. Also Arizona isn't a union state, it is very much right to work and the Superintendant of Schools is threatening to remove teaching certification of teacher who "strike". Currently, I make 11.39 as a support staff, exactly $0.89 over minimum wage in often over-worked due to under-staffing in a super stressful (both physically and mentally) situation. In neighboring states I could move and make at least $7.00 more just by signing on in my position. I cannot move due to my parents otherwise I would.

Teachers are over-worked like we are. They have to work with 30 students in a room made for 25 when they should have a classload of say 22. Paraprofessionals like myself are supposed to work with at least one other in many settings (some specifics ask for three or more) and often I was the only single para with the special education teacher this year. I cannot tell you how physically and mentally stressful this is.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:47 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
If these teachers were any good they'd be seeking to participate in a successful private educational endeavor, or in homeschooling; those who can't, or won't are just Left-leaning dead weight.
Goodness me its almost like making money isn't the primary reason many pursue teaching! Teachers should be fairly compensated they are college educated professionals charged with educating the youth it is a very important job.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
lmao...Yeah walking out and leaving the students uneducated is really looking out for them
Haha yea teachers should just accept lower wages and not ask any questions.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you. We both work stressful needed jobs and I thank you as a nursing assistant, but the cycle is caused by a race to the bottom, especially with the recession. The recession ended years ago, yet funding is not there. No state should settle as the bottom or even in the bottom five. I realize five will, but the states should be fighting for it. Also Arizona isn't a union state, it is very much right to work and the Superintendant of Schools is threatening to remove teaching certification of teacher who "strike". Currently, I make 11.39 as a support staff, exactly $0.89 over minimum wage in often over-worked due to under-staffing in a super stressful (both physically and mentally) situation. In neighboring states I could move and make at least $7.00 more just by signing on in my position. I cannot move due to my parents otherwise I would.

Teachers are over-worked like we are. They have to work with 30 students in a room made for 25 when they should have a classload of say 22. Paraprofessionals like myself are supposed to work with at least one other in many settings (some specifics ask for three or more) and often I was the only single para with the special education teacher this year. I cannot tell you how physically and mentally stressful this is.
Are you flooded with ESL kids like we are here in S Cal? If so I feel for you. I volunteer at local schools and the teachers are simply worn out trying to get the bottom third or so of kids up to speed in each class.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:51 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

The biggest points against them are the fact that:

1) Comparatively, U.S. teachers are overpaid.

2) U.S. students rank very low compared to their international peers

https://marketbrief.edweek.org/wp-co...auto-91633.jpg

It's hard to justify paying teachers even more money given the actual facts.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The biggest points against them are the fact that:

1) Comparatively, U.S. teachers are overpaid.

2) U.S. students rank very low compared to their international peers

https://marketbrief.edweek.org/wp-co...auto-91633.jpg

It's hard to justify paying teachers even more money given the actual facts.
Teachers are underpaid considering the education they have and the amount of work they do. US students in top districts and neighborhoods are on par with all our foreign competitors. The averages are brought down by the vast underclass in the US that miserly taxpayers refuse to help.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:55 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Teachers are underpaid considering the education they have and the amount of work they do.
False. They're overpaid compared to their OECD peers. PLUS, the results of their "teaching" are abysmal.

When even EdWeek reports that, we know we have a problem with not getting our money's worth from public education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies