Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:48 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times

Advertisements

While I wouldn't give up my right to vote, I can see where those that would are coming from.

We used our right to vote to put people in Congress to represent us. They aren't representing us. They gave us a tiny tax cut and a windfall to corporations. Some corporations gave out tiny $1000 one-time bonuses to employees. Permanent windfall for corporations gifted by the representatives we installed in Congress.

Maybe it makes more sense then to get that 10% raise as opposed to tiny $1000 bonuses.

And that is a sad state of affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 08:00 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This isn't surprising. Only 58% of eligible American voters took the time to vote in 2016.
I remember standing in city hall, raising my right hand and pledging allegiance to my new, adopted country. There were about 25 other people standing beside me during the American citizenship ceremony who were all doing the same thing. And then we and our families ate a cake decorated in red, white and blue, drank punch, shook hands with other new citizens, and opened packages containing congratulations from state senators. And voter registration cards.

I had moved from one first world nation to another first world nation. But as we were drinking punch I looked around the room. Many were speaking in broken English (and to become a citizen they had to display some modicum of knowledge of the English language to the ever-condescending feds who walked us through the years-long-process).

They were all ethnic groups and some were crying. And although I can't prove it, I had the sense that some of these people - who had taken the time to do it right and do it legally - were grateful to be in a country that would offer them a better (safer) future than the one they left behind.

After we were all done I registered to vote. And every single election I am excited, and pleased, and.........honored.........to cast my ballot.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:47 AM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
These are probably mostly people who:

1. Are poor
2. Rarely, if ever, vote anyway

So in their mind, they wouldn't lose anything to get that 10% raise

Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Voting doesn't matter.

Refreshing to see that some people are finally waking up to this fact.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
These are probably mostly people who:

1. Are poor
2. Rarely, if ever, vote anyway

So in their mind, they wouldn't lose anything to get that 10% raise
Actually the people I know who don't vote are educated. They realize that voting changes nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It's why the schools start brainwashing kindergartners into voting. To get them used to it and accept it before they have the critical thinking skills to realize it's a sham.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
This is just a sad indictment of Americans.

Quote:
Over half of the people surveyed (55.9%) thought that putting in "an extra 10 hours per week for life" was worth a bump in pay, apparently not realizing that working 25% more hours for a 10% bump isn't exactly a good tradeoff.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
That would be a tough choice for me and I say that as someone who is a lifelong political junkie. A 10% raise is not going to change my life but a little extra money is always nice. As for voting, I have never missed an election since turning 18 in the 80s. I used to get excited for elections. Today I lost most of my enthusiasm for politics because I see so little difference between the parties. Specifically, Republicans have moved too far to the left for me and I don't want to reward them for this. I don't see this ever changing. Ok, just writing this has made up my mind...give me the raise.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:02 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Sad. VOTING MATTERS. Too much media, especially conservative media, have bashed and belittled the voting franchise. False propaganda of voting fraud have discouraged many voters. Too many voters feel there vote doesn't matter when it does.
Go back to the politics and election forum threads from right before the election if you REALLY want to see a major reason turnout was low.

1) Neither candidate was strong.
2) Thread after thread about the polls showing that Trump had "no chance" and the constant crowing of easy victory.

I blame the far left as much as the far right for Trumps win.

Maybe if you'd not been thumping your chest about what a Yuge big win Hillary was going to easily have....more people would have voted thinking "gee this might actually matter".

Seriously, go back to the Election forum pre-election because I think you and others are in denial about your own culpability.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I’m actually not that surprised.

The whole Republican plan is to bribe the public with short term tax cuts to “starve the beast,” and then using the resulting massive debt as leverage to reduce spending on social programs like Medicare and Social Security.

A significant portion of the population is willing to give up their rights for a few extra bucks.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:04 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Terrifying.

Pretty short sighted thinking as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies