Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you disowned somebody because of how they voted?
Yes 21 15.22%
No 117 84.78%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 11:12 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times

Advertisements

No. I generally don't discuss politics with friends or family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 11:14 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So, who's low information?
Most voters, Republican and Democrat

I mean, just read these threads.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:14 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times
No, I have friends and family who voted both ways. If I feel it will cause a wedge between us, I don't talk politics with them.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:25 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I had some liberal friends and family pre Trump and it was my mistake to mention on facebook a few times that Trump might not be so bad. I was slammed and dumped by these folks. Oh well, the liberal loons are out there and these folks had a heavy dose of Trump Derangement Syndrome. I'm better off without them.

What is weird is that I am certainly willing to talk with anyone about their views and beliefs on any topic and have a healthy debate and walk away friends but when it comes to talking politics with someone that is a Democrat they are the most narrow minded angry people I have ever met.
Agreed. My personal observations have been that the more strident and unreasonable they are the more likely it is that the person is poorly educated (or is really old). It just seems that they have lost the ability to objectively analyze new information, so they don't. They operate on whatever they used to know, and just assimilate a compatible view on current events into that.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:07 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,383,187 times
I have not disowned them, but I am extremely disappointed in them.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:17 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
If yes explain why? When I mean disowned I mean block from social media, refuse to talk to the person any more and/or avoid them altogether.
I didn't, but one friend of mine has avoided me since the election because I wasn't upset enough that President Trump won.
To him, Trump is evil incarnate, and is the source of all the worlds woes.

When I told him that the choice wasn't between the lesser of two evils but the evil of two lessers, and that I couldn't vote for Hillary, and didn't throw my vote away on a protest vote, so I guess he decided I was a member of the deplorables.

I haven't spoken to him for over a year now.
His problem, not mine. I liked the tax cut and some of the other stuff that's happening like low unemployment.

I wasn't an ardent Trump supporter, but he's proven to be a lot better president than I thought he would be, so I don't have a problem with him.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:31 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Oh good grief no.

I have found out that I over estimated some people’s sagacity. That’s for sure.

Some of my friends are Trump supporters but that doesn’t make them bad people.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:33 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Never, it's childish.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:47 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
I don't know any Clinton supporters yet. They are ALL TRUMP SUPPORTERS. Even strangers who I meet and they come around to say something political , such as , I am proud of the flag, or something in the news .. then I know to ask "Did you vote Trump? They say yes.. because I am smiling and they know I voted for him also before they answer.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:19 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I could never disown anyone for voting opposite from whom I voted for. My friends are more then just a vote. I don't like fanatical views, and that is just too extreme for me. Making someone or any situation the whole thing out of just one viewpoint is unfair.

What's hard for me is talking to the seniors that voted for Trump and seeing how out of touch they are. One didn't know who Manafort was. They worship Trump like dear leader and that frightens me. I can't fault them or be angry with them. I view them as a generation where your word meant something, and that's something that should have been protected, not exploited. The truth will come out in the end, and their friendships mean more to me then a vote, or an opposing view point. Each year one of them disappears from our skating group and that is depressing. At that point it just doesn't matter who they voted for. I'll never see them again, and that reality trumps a vote every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies