Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:28 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Can illegals get an electrician's license or a plumber's license?
No, but that generally just means they can do the same work, much cheaper. I know plenty of people that have hired 'non licensed' workers to perform work at their house or business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 11:24 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This.

Trades do not get any respect. None whatsoever.
Correct. Trades are those awful "uneducated voters" the Democrats condemned because they did not vote the way they wanted them to vote. Since they do not have a college degree, that means they are just stupid in their minds.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:10 PM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by werit View Post
For every tradesperson that makes 6 figures there are dozens that make $15/hour or less. These jobs also tend to have either no benefits at all or lackluster offerings. The work is subject to the boom/bust cycle of the overall economy, most people in the trades will have to deal with frequent and lengthy layoffs throughout their lifetimes. I grew up in a tradeperson's household and reality is not anything like the trade booster types claim. Most trades will only generate a living wage when you become a business owner and are managing other employees - so the tradespeople that take home the big paychecks are essentially white collar workers themselves.
When I was growing up drywallers made serious bank in my area. Also stone masons and some other trades. One of our neighbors was nineteen, a drywaller and buying his own house, he put like 30% down.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:24 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We are a total white collar family but never ever looked down on any guy willing to fix our toilets, appliances, house, etc.

I can't speak for all white collar --- but the deepest respect for anyone who is able to do repairs of any kind in the home.

I don't believe it is a lack of respect for trades, I think it is a unwillingness to put in the 'hard' work.
Yep. Jack of all trades, master at none <sarcasm>... But we are expected to be.

People in trade positions provide important service. House cleaners are important too, it's a skill and the service keeps me sane. I can build and trouble shoot computers, an ICU nurse for over 20 years, and now run a business, BUT! I can't clean house worth a %*@#!! ....

When it comes to house cleaning I'm a procrastinator and a putzer and miserable doing it, so I pay someone to clean. And if family starts getting lazy about picking up after themselves between visits, if I have to do it for them watch out for my wrath, they pay a price for laziness. Who ever thought that just I am a women I'd automatically be good at it and love doing it is a chauvinist.. obviously.

We all have different weaknesses and we all have different skills and strengths and each is important.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
The "no college" folks have been pushing this for decades.

They are just jealous. Time to move on.

College people make more money even in every trade. Done.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:54 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
The average wage for drywall installers today is $23 per hour or about 47k per year. That is enough to live on but not what most people would call serious bank.

You also ignore the upside potential if you have the right degree. Adjusting for inflation, the 19 year old drywaller is most likely not making much more now than when they were 19 and may actually be earning less.

Most of the members of my family work in the trades or manufacturing, but none are delusional enough to suggest that if you have the cash and the aptitude that you should skip college and follow their path. In fact, my father told me that he didn't bust his ass all those years just to watch me and my siblings take up a trade. None of the blue collar tradespeople that I know would be happy to see their kids walk away from their chance to go to college, many would be very upset if they even suggested it.

https://www1.salary.com/Drywall-Inst...rly-wages.html
Plus all it takes in one injury and that is it, no longer able to do the trade. All those years of experience down the drain, only if you are running your own business with no involvement are you fine, but that is rare. Plus other things like when you are not feeling well, recovering from something, etc, sitting at a desk is still manageable, but not physical labor the trades require.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:28 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,913 times
I am in residential construction. I am currently trying to get OUT of residential construction. Hard work on body, no benefits, pay is mediocre and when a recession comes along, construction work is first to go.

Do it in your 20’s, but find a way to get out into something else or create a business.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:34 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Correct. Trades are those awful "uneducated voters" the Democrats condemned because they did not vote the way they wanted them to vote. Since they do not have a college degree, that means they are just stupid in their minds.
That’s what the right wing media wants you to think. I’m in the trades and a liberal, most educated people I meet have respect for our work. Stop trying to politicize people’s livelihood’s.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:07 PM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
The average wage for drywall installers today is $23 per hour or about 47k per year. That is enough to live on but not what most people would call serious bank.

You also ignore the upside potential if you have the right degree. Adjusting for inflation, the 19 year old drywaller is most likely not making much more now than when they were 19 and may actually be earning less.

Most of the members of my family work in the trades or manufacturing, but none are delusional enough to suggest that if you have the cash and the aptitude that you should skip college and follow their path. In fact, my father told me that he didn't bust his ass all those years just to watch me and my siblings take up a trade. None of the blue collar tradespeople that I know would be happy to see their kids walk away from their chance to go to college, many would be very upset if they even suggested it.

https://www1.salary.com/Drywall-Inst...rly-wages.html
This was years ago, I know it is bad now. They made more than that in the 1980s.

I still would recommend certain trades to those with mechanical aptitude, they just need to do their research.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:18 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Working in the trades sounds good in theory, but the injury rate is high and the work is physically demanding, so it's not a career path that can be sustained until age 70 or so.
That's funny because I know a lot who keep physically active well into old age, not sitting at a desk all day. They also made enough to retire or own their own companies well into their seventies and beyond.

Last edited by Tokinouta; 11-20-2018 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies