Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 12:19 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Neither does yours, my dear. Did your kids get Marketsmanship College Scholarships?
In a way I did,

I was Lettering on the JROTC rifle team for three years. Between that, being a Commander in JROTC, Texas State Judo Champ, a private pilot, upper 10% of my class, and kick tail ACT scores, I received an appointment to a service academy, an Army scholarship, and a Navy scholarship.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:21 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Neither does yours, my dear. Did your kids get Marketsmanship College Scholarships?

I now live in a fairly rural area of PA across the road from State Gamelands. I see Deer, Wild Turkey, Coyote, Black Bear in my backyard. DROOL. You would be surprised at the reaction of locals, including Vets. Our nearest supermarket is about 15 miles away.

My husband belongs to a VFW Post. One Vet walked out when someone served Venison Stew. He feeds the deer and they come up to his car when he pulls into his driveway.

Another VFW neighbor not only feeds the deer apples, but is now feeding the BLACK BEAR too. Damn, even my NRA gun owing husband was running outside yelling, waving his hands, when the deer were eating our plants. Why didn't he just SHOOT them instead? Hey, more VENISON!!!!

Just my feminized views? Better work on your MALES, too, including VETERANS.
It is a bad, bad idea to feed bears. They become dependent on humans and can't make it on their own. And we don't hunt bears.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:

I now live in a fairly rural area of PA across the road from State Gamelands. I see Deer, Wild Turkey, Coyote, Black Bear in my backyard. DROOL. You would be surprised at the reaction of locals, including Vets. Our nearest supermarket is about 15 miles away.

My husband belongs to a VFW Post. One Vet walked out when someone served Venison Stew. He feeds the deer and they come up to his car when he pulls into his driveway.

Another VFW neighbor not only feeds the deer apples, but is now feeding the BLACK BEAR too. Damn, even my NRA gun owing husband was running outside yelling, waving his hands, when the deer were eating our plants. Why didn't he just SHOOT them instead? Hey, more VENISON!!!!

Just my feminized views? Better work on your MALES, too, including VETERANS.
You should NEVER feed wild animals.
As to learning to fire a weapon..........I asked my father to do that when I was about 13. He told me if I wanted to Know how to handle a weapon The best teacher in the world was the military. If I wanted to shoot that bad.......I could go join up. I pretty much agree with him.The military does not want you unless you are at least 17. Makes sense to me. Exceptions would be hunting or competition shooting.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:33 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
I don't know how all the felony = no guns work from state to state. My father was a felon before I was ever born, but he had no trouble getting guns. And his new wife is as wacky as he is and she's got guns in the home. My father has even killed people before, but he always can get a gun if he wants to do so.

But this guy, was he ever convicted of a felony over the white house incident? Or just let go?

Can one state tell if you're a felon from another state from many years ago? When did they start putting in the felonies into the background database? Did the really old felonies get missed?

Old 04-24-2018, 12:38 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
As to learning to fire a weapon..........I asked my father to do that when I was about 13. He told me if I wanted to Know how to handle a weapon The best teacher in the world was the military. If I wanted to shoot that bad.......I could go join up. I pretty much agree with him.The military does not want you unless you are at least 17. Makes sense to me. Exceptions would be hunting or competition shooting.
4H has shooting club and Boy Scouts have rifle badges. What about those? And any hunter needs to sight-in the rifle to fit them. We have youth turkey and deer seasons, many states do.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:44 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Oh, where to begin, my fellow NY Refugee.

Teach your kids to shoot? Dad, I got a soccer, hockey game. I want to go to the movies with friends, etc., etc. You would FORCE them to go shooting when they don't want to? lol Good luck. Cannot get Mommy to do that either. Maybe you would like mandatory Eddie Eagle training in all public schools too? Every American citizen should know gun safety and how to use a gun? SICK, and that is not freedom. Freedom works both ways.

Find a gun and not know how to handle it without gun safety? Don't touch it. PERIOD. I found one in my backyard in NY after my neighbor's house was robbed. Pick it up, make sure it is unloaded, etc. Never had that gun safety training in my childhood. Call 911, don't touch it. stand over it until police come so no children can get it. STUPID, right???? Hell, even my gun owner husband said he wouldn't touch it and get his fingerprints all over it when it was used in a crime. YOU WOULD?

Free access to guns at 13? Um, we have seen far too much with "adult" kids lately and their parents owned guns, let alone a MINOR. Shoot a deer? Daddy, you just KILLED BAMBI. Me? You are not putting that bloody mess in MY fridge. Get rid of it.

I will agree with you up to a point on discipline, but if Mommy and Daddy's guns are LOCKED UP, and Minor children have no DESIRE, or no ACCESS to them without ADULT supervision, there won't be a need.
Oh boy. My son helped me build an AR he gets to use. My daughter has been sitting in tree stands with me shooting Bambis since she could get up the ladder. My wife now hunts with me and my favorite pic is us standing back to back with ARs, a shadow pic that looks very cool.

Anyone that feeds wild animals is doing them no favors. I don't mind the knuckleheads that rent the cabins in our local mts putting out corn because it fattens em up nice and juicy.

All this from people that literally live on the beach in a huge city.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:53 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Teach your kids to shoot? Dad, I got a soccer, hockey game. I want to go to the movies with friends, etc., etc. You would FORCE them to go shooting when they don't want to? lol Good luck.
I was "forced" to do a lot of things as a kid. I spent many summers starting at age 11 driving a tractor like the one pictured below. Yes, I learned to drive a tractor before I could drive a car.

Quote:
Maybe you would like mandatory Eddie Eagle training in all public schools too? Every American citizen should know gun safety and how to use a gun? SICK, and that is not freedom. Freedom works both ways.
I agree 100%. I don't want to force my views on any adult that doesn't want them. I can't control someone's kids either. But people I am responsible for, then yes, I will teach them things whether they want to know them or not.

Quote:
Free access to guns at 13?
I had the same access. That and 3 wheelers we would ride 20 or 30 miles from our neighborhood to hunt. We were all taught not to play with guns. When the hunting started, the joking around stopped.

Quote:
I will agree with you up to a point on discipline, but if Mommy and Daddy's guns are LOCKED UP, and Minor children have no DESIRE, or no ACCESS to them without ADULT supervision, there won't be a need.
I was years out of college before I learned that gun safes existed. Our guns were in a cabinet with no door. Well, most of them. I kept my 20 gauge in my bedroom closet after my grandfather gave it to me when I was 8 or 9.

But as far as "desire" or "interest" goes, it's there. My nephew is a 6th grader and he doesn't have access to his father's guns since they are in a safe. But he has his own airsoft arsenal in the garage. And before that, a Nerf arsenal. When he and his friends have force on force matches, I make sure they have good trigger discipline.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, no honesty from you, got it...

O.K., lets play, I honestly did not expect you to answer the question anyway, but lets try again.

Out of pistols and rifles (all long guns, shotguns, rifles) what kills more the pistol or the long gun?

Lets see if you have any integrity? <<<<<< rhetorical BTW, we already know the answer.
There is no need to question my integrity, you were the one that shifted the argument about guns versus vans.

As for your question which was outside the scope of what I asked, hand guns. The issue is in mass stabbings the long gun in particular AR-15 are used most often.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:50 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
My younger daughter was in the Guard. Yeah, Daddy never taught her because she had not interest, but Uncle Sam did. She did not join to shoot guns, but to help her fellow citizens in national disasters. She was 28 when she joined.

She does not own a gun today and does not want them in her home around her young sons. Her husband doesn't either.

Maybe they should not feed wild animals but they do. Apply to stray cats too?

Old 04-24-2018, 02:11 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
My younger daughter was in the Guard. Yeah, Daddy never taught her because she had not interest, but Uncle Sam did. She did not join to shoot guns, but to help her fellow citizens in national disasters. She was 28 when she joined.

She does not own a gun today and does not want them in her home around her young sons. Her husband doesn't either.

Maybe they should not feed wild animals but they do. Apply to stray cats too?
Yes it does because when you feed strays, guess what, they make even more strays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies