Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:17 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
And how much did it cost taxpayers for Obama to fly out to Chicago for haircuts again?

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-25-2018 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Anyone who bothered to read the article would see the fake news in the title.

* Purchase desk July 11 for $2700 + $575 shipping.
* Discovered the desk to be a horrible design. Details in article.
* Purchase new desk for $2900.
* Cost of original refunded.
* Return freight paid by trade rep personally.

When Progs are told by their bird dogs to become outraged, they do so. No questions. Read all their posts declaring personal outrage.
I would suggest, before making such a blanket statement, you perform a perfunctory audit of all threads on this forum to discern to what extent BOTH sides resort to default programming.

An objective, non-prejudiced observer with no dog in the hunt would tell you both sides are guilty of puppet stringing.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:29 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I've got an executive desk in my house that was probably $2500
Yes, in your house. You can do what you want in your house with your own money. This is taxpayer money being spent by people that claim to want to cut down on government waste.

I personally don't care that $4000 was spent on a desk. Hopefully it was at least made in the USA. Too much breath has been wasted on the topic. However, I think people should at least recognize that there is waste going on.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:55 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
He better up his game to Pelosi levels. She spent 16k on FLOWERS!

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/138...rth-of-flowers

Old 04-26-2018, 02:31 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I agree the title is misleading but I wish people in government would buy as if it is their money. Agreed that isn't really a lot for a executive desk but a quality sturdy one could be bought for half the price without a 500 shipping fee either.
This^ it's not a partison issue and it's not just about a desk. These politicians, staff and other appointees are given huge budgets and spend a fortune on stuff like this desk. I spent years working in HR and know what people earned and their benefit packages. Even new presidents, CFOs etc of companies worth millions used the furniture given to them. If they wanted something special they bought it themselves.

As many are so fond of saying, "they get to freely enjoy spending other people's money?" People can spend whatever they like on desks when they buy it themselves but I have a right to take issue when my tax dollars are paying for it. We all pay for this ****, so they can have a new office designed to their taste. These are temporary jobs, a new appointee comes in and gets his/her own new stuff. How much money are we spending on them? I don't know but it's certainly a lot. Very few people are given a redecorating budget when they start a new job because it's ridiculous, no private company would give away money like that. I don't give a **** what party they belong to, R, D or Independent, it's time to reign in their spending.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:46 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
4K for a desk? Doesn't sound like that much to me. Some people don't want cheap stuff. Everybody doesn't shop at Wal Mart.
Exactly. Some of us appreciate and expect to be provided equipment and/or furnishings that go with the jobs we hold.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:17 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
So much gnashing of teeth over a $3,000 desk yet Andrew McCabe dropped $70,000 taxpayer dollars on a conference table and nothing but crickets.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo...d%20Texts).pdf

Old 05-24-2018, 09:22 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Andrew McCabe, the disgraced Deputy Director of the FBI spent $70k (not a misprint) on a table for his office.

He also got caught illegally leaking to the media & lying under oath on multiple associations. The left was so outraged that they voluntarily sent him hundreds of thousands of dollars for his defense fund.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:10 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
This is disgusting! If you look at median incomes, 4K is more than the majority of people make in a month. All these politicians and other representatives should be supplied with basic office furniture like every other worker in this country. If they want something special they can pay for it themselves. This country is in major debt but they still seem to come up with plenty of money to give politicians massively expensive benefits payed for by the taxpayers.
If people had ANY real understanding of how taxpayer money is squandered every single day in every government office we might have a revolution. People freak out about entitlements and gov employee salaries but that is nothing compared to the countless ways money is WASTED every single day. The beaurocracy “creates” it ‘s own “studies”, “projects” and initiatives, each costing hundreds of thousands of dollars simply to justify their existenan e. With nothing to show. Nothing new here.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:46 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
I can’t understand how these big spenders get away with all of this. They don’t have to justify these expenses? More Swamp in the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies