Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Anthony Bourdain sums up my feelings on Yelp and others like it:

If a business has generally positive reviews, I tend to believe the negative reviews are by people who find fault with everything, are overly picky, etc. I don't think one bad Yelp review can make or break a strong business.
On this, I think it depends on the area/location of the business. If she has a business in an uber liberal area where they are looking to protest "racism" then having someone post a negative review and stating that the employee/owner was a racist just very well may have a huge negative impact on their business.

However, I agree with your comment in general, I also overlook negative reviews and think that those people are usually picky and ridiculous.

I'll note for Lily the fact that you have a lot of black customers who like you, I'm sure they'd see the negative yelp review and post in defense of you.

I've done that for businesses where someone has accused an owner or physician I use of racism. My dermatologist has a lot of negative reviews but he's been treating me and now my kids since the 1990s and I love him. He had about 3 reviews of people accusing him of being a racist and a xenophobe but to me they are ridiculous. He's always respectful and kind. I cannot speak on the xenophobic issue (it was by a Muslim patient who felt he treated her badly due to her wearing hijab) but just based on his character and the fact that we have a rather large Muslim population in our area, it doesn't make sense to me that he'd be unkind to Muslim patients or treat them poorly so I wrote a great review for him to even the score and had my mom and sister in law do the same.

My kid's old pediatrician in Atlanta got a lot of bashing for not wanting to adhere to parent's whims of either not vaccinating their children or doing a "delayed schedule" for vaccines. Seems one patient got a group of anti-vax people to put a series of horrible reviews on her Yelp page - like 15 of them! I posted a review of her as well and honestly she didn't have that great of a bedside manner but she is a good doctor and good doctors provide advice that is consistent with medical consensus and currently the consensus is that vaccines are safe and that it doesn't do any good to delay vaccines for children/families who aren't allergic or have any other valid medical reason to abstain. If they want a doctor that is anti-vax they could/should just leave her practice and go to one. FWIW she didn't even deny them access to her practice, she just counseled them on the fact that vaccines were safe and has a book about the dangers of not vaccinating in her office and these people went on a tirade against her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
who said about one or two bad review?

wait till a Video to Go Viral, you would have no ways of defending yourself.

The bottom line, who really knows if this is discrimination or not. Everything is pure speculation.
Meh.

Anyone who keeps up with news would see that many of the reviews are in response to the video rather than in dealing with the business themselves.

I'm sure you'll disgree. The circles I run in? This crap is just that...crap.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:09 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this, I think it depends on the area/location of the business. If she has a business in an uber liberal area where they are looking to protest "racism" then having someone post a negative review and stating that the employee/owner was a racist just very well may have a huge negative impact on their business.

However, I agree with your comment in general, I also overlook negative reviews and think that those people are usually picky and ridiculous.

I'll note for Lily the fact that you have a lot of black customers who like you, I'm sure they'd see the negative yelp review and post in defense of you.

I've done that for businesses where someone has accused an owner or physician I use of racism. My dermatologist has a lot of negative reviews but he's been treating me and now my kids since the 1990s and I love him. He had about 3 reviews of people accusing him of being a racist and a xenophobe but to me they are ridiculous. He's always respectful and kind. I cannot speak on the xenophobic issue (it was by a Muslim patient who felt he treated her badly due to her wearing hijab) but just based on his character and the fact that we have a rather large Muslim population in our area, it doesn't make sense to me that he'd be unkind to Muslim patients or treat them poorly so I wrote a great review for him to even the score and had my mom and sister in law do the same.

My kid's old pediatrician in Atlanta got a lot of bashing for not wanting to adhere to parent's whims of either not vaccinating their children or doing a "delayed schedule" for vaccines. Seems one patient got a group of anti-vax people to put a series of horrible reviews on her Yelp page - like 15 of them! I posted a review of her as well and honestly she didn't have that great of a bedside manner but she is a good doctor and good doctors provide advice that is consistent with medical consensus and currently the consensus is that vaccines are safe and that it doesn't do any good to delay vaccines for children/families who aren't allergic or have any other valid medical reason to abstain. If they want a doctor that is anti-vax they could/should just leave her practice and go to one. FWIW she didn't even deny them access to her practice, she just counseled them on the fact that vaccines were safe and has a book about the dangers of not vaccinating in her office and these people went on a tirade against her.
The bold, yes.

I have a black friend in the mall and he is also a business owner. He told all his friends to buy from me and I also told all my friends and customers to buy from him.

Generally speaking, I think black customers are very easy to deal with and many of them even want me to "keep the tip". Majority of them are very pleasant people.

I started this business when I was in high school. I have many black customers came in just to talk to me. I even convinced two black men to join the Marine Corps. They love the Corps.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-25-2018 at 09:34 AM..

Old 04-25-2018, 09:38 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
who said about one or two bad review?

wait till a Video to Go Viral, you would have no ways of defending yourself.

The bottom line, who really knows if this is discrimination or not. Everything is pure speculation.
If one is being defamed on social media, then at least try to use social media to make present a defense in a calm way and using logic, not emotion.

And it's not reasonable or realistic that a business achieve 100% customer satisfaction and attract everyone that walks by their doors. Whatever their target demographic is, enough of them need to visit enough so that their sales goals are being met. With Starbucks, being too successful translated into their cafes sometimes being even across the street from another one.

Right now, women and blacks seem to be looking for any teeny weeny instance of harrassment against their group... and using that to try to blackmail and bully them into payouts and apologies. And it's getting really ridiculous. And I do think that this tactic in the long run will backfire on them, just like it did in the story of the boy who cried wolf. Other people are going to care less about each new story of an "incident", and real victims aren't going to get the outrage they deserve.

This is so true:
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't …” … please all the people all of the time” - Poet John Lydgate

Old 04-25-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If one is being defamed on social media, then at least try to use social media to make present a defense in a calm way and using logic, not emotion.

And it's not reasonable or realistic that a business achieve 100% customer satisfaction and attract everyone that walks by their doors. Whatever their target demographic is, enough of them need to visit enough so that their sales goals are being met. With Starbucks, being too successful translated into their cafes sometimes being even across the street from another one.

Right now, women and blacks seem to be looking for any teeny weeny instance of harrassment against their group... and using that to try to blackmail and bully them into payouts and apologies. And it's getting really ridiculous. And I do think that this tactic in the long run will backfire on them, just like it did in the story of the boy who cried wolf. Other people are going to care less about each new story of an "incident", and real victims aren't going to get the outrage they deserve.

This is so true:
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't …” … please all the people all of the time” - Poet John Lydgate
Yep! Very true.

This thread turned out to be a learning experience for me. and Thank you all for sharing.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Oh Good! As a business owner, I really feel sorry for the pediatrician.

My uncle is an emergency room doctor. He looks "white" but he is mixed. He has been called a racist many times. He really is not. He probably has seen thousands of patients in the past several years, he had about 4 bad reviews. Too bad not every satisfied patient would post a review, so SOME people choose to focus on the negative ones.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

This is so true:
LOL on the black - you do realize this is the same thing that was done during the CRM lol.

Tactics haven't changed and number one priorities were/are to highlight and shame society based on discirmination.

I noted in my comments and the article itself stated that one of the women in this group was the PRESIDENT of the county's NAACP!

I'm sure she is going to try to use this incident to further some goals of their organization and it will be of benefit in some way.

Not sure why you would think that filming people being discriminatory will "backfire." What negative thing do you think it will have? People like you and those who share your views already think we "whine and complain" and you all think we should put up with harrassment and discrimination. Luckily other people aren't as similarly minded as yourself and these depictions make people think about bias imparted in one's everyday lives and I think most decent people don't want people treated poorly based on their race or gender and associated stereotypes/assumptions.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:33 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Quote:
I think it's funny that some posters think 50-60 year old black women were causing a ruckus lol.
All black women have to do is breathe and someone will say they had an attitude and were causing a ruckus.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
I think it's funny that some posters think 50-60 year old black women were causing a ruckus lol.
going too slowly is now 'causing a ruckus'?
says who? certainly no one on this thread claimed that.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:39 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Did these women learn golf from Ricky Ricardo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72c-YU0z1oY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies