Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times

Advertisements

Most Trump voters can't respond because their too busy working -- from which the govt. takes taxes to support those that have the time to bash Trump voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 03:59 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member Not A View Post
Trump voters are actually motivated by Racism. The ole, I may be poor but at least I'm not a N word so lets stick it to all those non whites!

What utter nonsense!

Old 04-24-2018, 04:00 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Did anybody bother to read the article?

I summarized it as best I could without getting into copyright issues.

Here's a shorter version that might be clearer.

Several studies and surveys have concluded that it isn't economic anxiety, it is cultural anxiety.

They worry that they will be displaced by immigrants, uppity women, LBGT folks, ...

Old 04-24-2018, 04:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
As I recall, Trump won while Hillary voters were screaming at the sky. Seems more like Trump supporters took action and the left is all talk.
Trump-like supporters also took action voting for Nixon and George W. Bush, jr. They constantly take, take, take. They are easy to manipulate simply by using hate and fear of subcultures or foreigners (something the liberal elite seems allergic to).

Old 04-24-2018, 04:02 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Am I missing something?
Sure sounds that way to me.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:02 PM

You don't think Trump doesn't know what these studies/surveys are showing?

Every time he gets backed into a corner, he attacks Muslims, Mexicans, transgender soldiers, ... all those his followers want to feel that they are better than.

LBJ understood this. "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Old 04-24-2018, 04:06 PM

Trump gives his followers someone to look down on.

They love him for this.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
True. The Leftist Hillary voters are often angry, envious, emotional and intolerant people. It is very sad there are so many of them.
LOL are you purposefully trying to make yourself look like a hypocritical idiot?

Is that supposed to be contentment on your part? Lol. Sympathy? Emotionlessness? Tolerance?

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-24-2018 at 04:35 PM..

Old 04-24-2018, 04:11 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
True. The Leftist Hillary voters are often angry, envious, emotional and intolerant people. It is very sad there are so many of them.
The same point could be made about quite a few Trump voters, but what would be the point, and what would it accomplish?

Lots of Hillary Clinton voters (particularly among much of the African American population who supported her over Trump) are law abiding, church going, hard working people who simply preferred her over Trump given the choice between the two (not considering other third party options). She did miss the mark by not reaching lots of the population of Trump voters who would have voted for her in the past but felt disenfranchised by the Democratic party.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:24 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you believe this study: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/u...pgtype=article

Pretty much sums up the case of "angry white men/women" being core of DT support.
Article Summary: Loss of racial and/or global status or dominance, not economics, is the motivator for Trump support.

Interesting finding, and it may be that way for some people. Conservative's strong distaste for the Clintons, while no doubt there, doesn't explain it all IMO. Look at the primaries for why Trump won the nomination in the first place. Ted Cruz was just as bad boy antiestablishment (a Tea Party darling!). Why choose him when they could have had Cruz, especially in the southeastern states, which are a very neat ideological fit for Texas? Plus, Trump's a New Yorker.

Switching gears a bit to the general election. The working class whites of the Great Lakes and Pennsylvania, supposedly more liberal on at least economic issues, still rallies more for Trump than for Sanders. The latter's also equally anti-establishment and he proposed liberal economic solutions that I thought would win over blue-collar whites in that region.

I think it has more to do with our culture's definitions of leadership - they want their leaders to be brash, even insulting toward those they oppose. They also confuse confident cockiness and "ability to kick ass and take names" with motivation. Plus, deep down, our culture (white collar as well as blue collar) very often confuses leadership with bullying.

That's my take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies