Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I know at least several years ago, some states have what are called "Stop and Identify" statutes that require someone suspected of criminal activity to provide identification to police, making refusal a crime. California has no such statute, so if you refuse to provide an ID while police are detaining you, they can't arrest you just for refusing.

Now, the tricky part is that Your vehicle cannot be searched automatically if you are pulled over. However, if your words and actions raise suspicion, cops are legally entitled to conduct a search.

The way I see it? well, don't make your life harder, fight in the court if you feel you have been treated unfairly. Teaching people "don't talk with cops" is really not the answer.
The bold is the reason why the advice from the group about not talking to police is sound advice. It is something I tell everyone, not just immigrants or black people. No one is required to speak to police you have a right to silence via Miranda.

Now I don't agree with not cooperating - I feel people should cooperate as much as they can but there is no reason for you to answer every question a cop asks you. I specifically tell cops I am not going to answer their questions if they keep asking me things, I tell them I am using my right to remain silent on XX. I tell my kids and relatives and young people I mentor the same thing. You do not have to say anything to cops but be courteous/cordial and do what they say so that there will be no cause for suspicion against you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 09:41 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The bold is the reason why the advice from the group about not talking to police is sound advice. It is something I tell everyone, not just immigrants or black people. No one is required to speak to police you have a right to silence via Miranda.

Now I don't agree with not cooperating - I feel people should cooperate as much as they can but there is no reason for you to answer every question a cop asks you. I specifically tell cops I am not going to answer their questions if they keep asking me things, I tell them I am using my right to remain silent on XX. I tell my kids and relatives and young people I mentor the same thing. You do not have to say anything to cops but be courteous/cordial and do what they say so that there will be no cause for suspicion against you.
Another one who doesn't know what Miranda is. You have to be arrested to invoke Miranda rights.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:41 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Yep!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Ultimately, cops are not your friends. And I got fam who happen to be cops. And they’d say the same thing. Like you said. A guy with a job. They can care leas about you and incriminate you for anything. Just say yes, no, ok officer. Don’t try to explain when it isn’t necessary, thry ask you why your pulled over, just say IDK, and don’t say or give any reason for them to wanna search your car.

Because you can come across a cop having a bad day. Just comply and get the cop off your back as quick as possible, if you can, fight it in court, if you get arrested, even if you know you genuinely did nothing wrong but he suspects that you did, don’t fight or try to negotiate. It would only dig you a deeper hole.
This is actually a good advice.

I have a lot of friends who work for LAPD, and yes they are police officers. They don't wake up one day just to say to themselves, "hmm, today is the day I am going to kill a minority." They want to collect the pay check and go home.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:53 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Another one who doesn't know what Miranda is. You have to be arrested to invoke Miranda rights.
Wrong. The right to remain silent rights exists at all times. What you are thinking of is a Miranda warning regarding those rights (which does not need to be given until you are arrested) and the restrictions on police interrogation once the right to remain silent is expressly invoked.

But I agree that I see someone who does not know what Miranda is or what that case stands for. Check the mirror so you can see too.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
"Am I under arrest? Am I free to leave"? That is all you have to say. If the police have probable cause they can arrest you where they will find out who you are but that is all you have to say. (unless you are driving) You do have to provide I.D. if you are driving.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 AM

According to the article, it looks like,

The group – which is not supported by other immigrant organizations on this tactic – says police should not expect cooperation in the form of information, witnesses, court appearances or even the reporting of crimes within Latino communities.

Very bad advice.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:03 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Ehm - you have your Fifth and Sixth Amendment rights at all times.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:35 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,226,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, get raped and don't report it. Brilliant as usual.

I think you intended it as a comeback, but women getting raped and being afraid to report is a whole issue onto itself and it affects ALL races, both legals and illegals.

But using your poor example: Say a woman got raped and she reported it. Say there was a witness and the police are trying to locate that witness to finger the rapist; in a Sanctuary City it's not a problem. The witness will cooperate and put the bad guy in jail. Without Sanctuary City, the witness will hide from the police because he or some member of his family is illegal. Meanwhile, the rapist is free and ready to commit another act.

See why Sanctuary City is so important? See why the Right is so dumb for trying to interfere?

Old 04-25-2018, 10:43 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,598 times
I avoid cops at all costs I will not even have a personal relationship as a friend with one. I will not risk my family's safety by calling one to my house or getting close enough to engage one in conversation. If they have detained me, I will assert my right to not talk to them. Cops have proven over and over again that they are the largest criminal gang operating in the US. Any interaction you have with a cop has the potential to turn fatal at moments notice for no reason and with zero accountability.

I treat cops like rabid dogs, avoid all contact and you can't get bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies