Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:35 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Other than piling on women, what does this have to do with the thread?
Nothing. I mean other than women where I worked felt that other women discriminated against them the most.

I saw it with my own eyes and in fact pulled rank to shut the crap down. They answer the question correctly and that is enough.
Female tester: I want to see if they really know it.
Me: That's fine schedule time on the floor. She answered the question correctly, move on to the next question or I'll get another tester.
I have seen female testers accept a poor answer from a young man with a baby face and the same tester go hard core KGB interrogator on a young woman who is attractive.
My point is discrimination in the work place isn't just a male on female scenario. I have had women refuse to ask other women mechanical questions. Their excuse? Women aren't as good as men at mechanics. That's when I assign said biased woman to another female for training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 05:57 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
...move to China where they will learn to appreciate their lives in the US. Chinese version of 'Mad Men?'

Chinese Firm Job Ads:

Sexual objectification of women—treating women as a mere object of sexual desire—is prevalent in Chinese job advertising,” the report notes. This includes height and weight specifications irrelevant to the job duties, to ensure that only shapely women will apply, and even requirements for “good skin tone,” “no incurable skin conditions,” and other conditions meant to ensure that female staff will be pleasing to the male eye.

I'm not really familiar with Chinese society. Do the men there pressure their female staff to fool around?

Old 09-17-2019, 02:56 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
This tyread came up as a "city-data suggested" thread to read/reply to, so it may be old.

First, I'd like to point put something I read a looiong time ago:its a native American phrase:

"Great Spirit, grant that I do not criticize my neighbor until I have walked a mile in his moccasins ".

There was another old phrase I'm reminded of:

"If you think you have it bad, someone else has it worse".

Then there is the phrase we probably all had as a kid: " eat your (food), there are starving kids in ( country) who would love to have (food) to eat". [To which many of us replued " well send it to them!".

The OP has a valid point. And the OP didnt write what was quoted.

USA is NOT perfect, we are a "work in progress ", striving to he better than the rest of the world. Or at least better than parts of tge rest of the world.

In the mid 80s, WGBH (PBS) IN Boston had a show I caught a glimpse of between jobs, where a black woman said " when the Declaration of Independence and Constitution and other founding documents were written, they were not written for me. They were written for the white male wealthy land owners".

I never forgot that phrase. BUT, what she was missing, was that those documents sought to, pr at peast give lipservice to creating a "...form a more perfect union..." ( note it did not declare it a "PERFECT union".

Trump recently stated "... if they dont like it here, go back home...." to certain federal Gov't people. Sure, just like this thread, there was an uproar.

It IS also worth noting that in this country that tye OPPOSITION made it possible for the growing "rights" or better treatment of those seeking such.

Wealthy white landowners? Made it possible for the poor to Be landowners.

Slavery? The free white men made it possible to end it. ( some countries still have indentured servitude)

Womens right to vote? The voting men made it possible for women to vote. ( some countries women are still second class citizens)

Black civil rights? White people have helped make it possible. ( Sputh Africa had racism enshrined in its constitution)

Gay rights/right to marry? Straight people made it possible. ( Some countries just being gay is a crine punishable by death)

Dont feel "equal" to others here? In theory we all are "equal " here ( other countries stil have a caste or class system)

But that is how THIS country operates."..in order to form a more perfect union..."

So, yeahiOP HAS a valid point, if you dont like it here, try somewhere ELSE, where it could be worse....

Old 09-17-2019, 04:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I'm not really familiar with Chinese society. Do the men there pressure their female staff to fool around?
Going through a dry spell are ya georgie?

And to the OP maybe one should move to an area where they get robbed twice a month instead of once a month and then they'd appreciate how it is in 'Murica.
That about sum it up?

Old 09-17-2019, 04:42 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
In cases where women are allowed to apply for jobs, the posting often specifies that they must be married, or even married with children. This is presumably intended to cut down on office romances and reduce the chances of a female employee becoming pregnant and requiring maternity leave.

Women in the US don't know how good they have it. As long as they don't reveal they are conservatives, they have the same chance to get a job as an overt Progressive.
I'm tempted to breakdown a counter using the 2A and Japan to show you how dumb this argument is, but I'm pretty sure you can fill in the gaps.

Maybe you don't realize how "good" you have it here either ..

Old 07-31-2020, 11:55 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
...move to China where they will learn to appreciate their lives in the US. Chinese version of 'Mad Men?'

Chinese Firm Job Ads:

Sexual objectification of women—treating women as a mere object of sexual desire—is prevalent in Chinese job advertising,” the report notes. This includes height and weight specifications irrelevant to the job duties, to ensure that only shapely women will apply, and even requirements for “good skin tone,” “no incurable skin conditions,” and other conditions meant to ensure that female staff will be pleasing to the male eye.

If you went in for knee replacement surgery, and woke up to discover you'd been castrated, would you be comforted by someone saying, "You don't know how good you've got it! The guy in the next bed over came in with tonsillitis, and they amputated his leg!"

Old 07-31-2020, 11:57 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Quote:

Chinese Firm Job Ads:

Okay. They can’t hurt your feelings anymore once they are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies