Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 11:14 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
You guys are joking right? I mean you are on the intenet, you could look it up.
You asked the question, we offered a way of settling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:16 AM

977 posts, read 567,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You can take off your hat. You cannot take off your sexual orientation (or skin color, or disability, or gender.)

Is this hard or something?
You can go to a bakery and order a wedding cake WITHOUT mentioning that the wedding is an LGBT one. Just don't ask them to put the little figurines on top. Sexual orientation in that regard is EXACTLY like political orientation; nobody has to know unless you feel the need to tell them.

I am not advocating for anti-gay discrimination or anything like that. I am just trying to avoid a double standard. If people who are gay should be free to frequent a business, then that same standard should apply to those who are on opposite sides of the political spectrum. I am quite sure that had this been a bar in a rural area of the south and had the person ejected been wearing a "I'm with her" shirt or a rainbow hat, you would agree with this.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
You can go to a bakery and order a wedding cake WITHOUT mentioning that the wedding is an LGBT one. Just don't ask them to put the little figurines on top. Sexual orientation in that regard is EXACTLY like political orientation; nobody has to know unless you feel the need to tell them.

I am not advocating for anti-gay discrimination or anything like that. I am just trying to avoid a double standard. If people who are gay should be free to frequent a business, then that same standard should apply to those who are on opposite sides of the political spectrum. I am quite sure that had this been a bar in a rural area of the south and had the person ejected been wearing a "I'm with her" shirt or a rainbow hat, you would agree with this.
So you want to add political orientation as a protected class?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:21 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Sounds great in principle, now join us in the real world.

Segregated lunch counters did just fine from a profit motive, because the majority of the buying public were just fine kicking downwards towards the minority. Letting Jews in the swimming pool? Installing wheelchair ramps? Nah, we'd rather voluntarily exclude those groups form associating with us.

The idea that the market will always filter out "bad actors" is nothing but an article of faith.
Woolworths changed their policy in 1960, without any legal challenge or government order. The free market forced the change. Much of the desegregation of private businesses in the South happened without any legal backing whatsoever. The grassroots Freedom Movement used protest and propaganda to sway the culture to their side, and business changed their policy for the sake of business, not because a law demanded they do so.

Construction of handicap access is a similar thing. If you have two businesses selling a similar product/service, and one adheres to the Extended Stakeholder Model while the other says screw it, doing everything cheap as possible, extended stakeholders be damned...the one who treats everyone better will win. Good will, positive publicity, including more kinds of people to increase market share, etc. The wise business recognizes their opportunities to steal market share from their competition, and their competition suffers due to a lack of vision. That losing competitor can now do one of two things - stay the course and continue to lose market share/revenue, or change according to the flow of market demands and add some handicapped access. This matters a great deal because people with mobility limiting conditions control ~$1 trillion in spending power. That's a big phuqing market share to simply ignore. Smart business says let me have a slice of that $1 trillion pie...PLEASE!!

The free market excels at providing the remedies and incentives for overt discrimination.

That is the real world, that prospers in spite of government and rarely because of it.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:24 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you want to add political orientation as a protected class?
I certainly don't. I just want Libs to practice what they preach.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Much of the desegregation of private businesses in the South happened without any legal backing whatsoever.
Much does not equal ALL.

And I can remember witnessing a black man trying to make a purchase in a store in the 1980's. And the clerk refusing to serve him. The law at least gives people a legal recourse to deal with discrimination of this sort.

In the case of this bar, though, the man's claim that his MAGA hat was religion?????????????????????

Old 04-26-2018, 11:26 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So, in you're mind it would be prudent to telegraph you have a mental disability in a bar? If that is true, that means it would be prudent to take off the hat. No?
It was a joke. Lighten up. If you really want to delve into the hypothrtical: If the guy had had a mental disability that made him feel compelled to wear that hat, people would be absolutely in the wrong for asking him to remove it.

Quote:
Again, I will ask. What would the Left think if someone were ordered to leave an establishment if they were wearing a Hillary/Kaine hat or shirt?
What about it? If you wear something with the intent of getting attention and causing trouble, you may be asked to leave. (Not that I'd be caught dead in a piece of Hillary attire, mind.) Enter the wrong sports bar wearing the wrong team's jersey on game day, and you may be asked to leave. I'd not wear an Obama t-shirt to a gun show - if I owned one and had any interest in going to a gun show - because it's silly and childish.

There's a time and place for wearing one's political activism stance on one's sleeve or elsewhere, now let people drink in peace.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I certainly don't. I just want Libs to practice what they preach.
This man claimed that his MAGA hat was religion. Are you agreeing with him?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:32 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
This man claimed that his MAGA hat was religion. Are you agreeing with him?
Of course not. I also agree that a business should be able to serve, or not serve anybody they want, but that ship has sailed at least for liberal causes. The double standard, and hypocrisy is what I have a problem with.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:35 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Much does not equal ALL.

And I can remember witnessing a black man trying to make a purchase in a store in the 1980's. And the clerk refusing to serve him. The law at least gives people a legal recourse to deal with discrimination of this sort.

In the case of this bar, though, the man's claim that his MAGA hat was religion?????????????????????
But you've used the power of government to take away the freedom of voluntary association for business, and are now asking for exceptions to exceptions. We reserve the right to refuse service, except we can't reserve that right for the following classes of people, except under certain considerations and depending on whether the media agrees, except the right wing media who are an exception and their exception cannot be used to supersede any prior exceptions.

If all associations are voluntary, this is not even a story. Take your MAGA hat and GTFO. Done. MAGA guy will then go to some other business who says "yay for you, your MAGA hat and your money!!" And maybe if anti-MAGA owner lost market share to more inclusive owners, they'd adopt a different stance on MGA hats without the courts doing a freaking thing.

On your anecdote that is supposed to the irrefutable proof that voluntary associations cannot possibly work - do you know anything else about that incident after it occurred? Do you know what the black person who was refused service did after that? D you whether they did or not take that lying down? Do you know whether that employee was or was not fired for violating a company policy that may have directed them to not discriminate? Do you know if that store saw any drop in revenue after that as a result of negative publicity? All you saw is one variable in a much larger chain of events, and from that single variable, think you have a suitable proof of solid logic. No no, we are missing way too much for your brief inclusion into this much larger timeline for me to think you have provided proof against voluntary association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies