Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 09:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Foot View Post
State law has no bearing on the school's dress code.

All the rhetoric about "rights" is pointless since most school aged kids aren't old enough to have all the rights of an adult.

There's no hope of him winning this lawsuit.
I don't remember there being an age requirement for anything other than elected office.
Who took it upon themselves to alter the Constitution and require a selective one size fits all age requirement to have your rights as a person?
A Constitutional amendment would be required, to add additional language to the constitutional rights.Or it is unconstitutional, no matter what 9 people, with differing opinions among themselves think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 10:20 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, the left shows its hypocrisy AGAIN.

An under 18 year old does NOT have Constitutional rights in regard the 1st and 2nd amendments when it comes to guns BUT HAS Constitutional rights when it come to abortion.

"If you're under 18, you may or may not have to tell a parent in order to get an abortion — it all depends on the laws where you live. "

"
California

No parental involvement requirement."

"

Connecticut

No parental involvement requirement."

All state are listed here, https://www.plannedparenthood.org/le...ification-laws
The Supreme Court ruling has been posted and like it or not the court has restricted the rights of students here. I'm not a fan of that either but I'm also not a fan of ignoring facts.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 AM

34 posts, read 29,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I don't remember there being an age requirement for anything other than elected office.
Who took it upon themselves to alter the Constitution and require a selective one size fits all age requirement to have your rights as a person?
A Constitutional amendment would be required, to add additional language to the constitutional rights.Or it is unconstitutional, no matter what 9 people, with differing opinions among themselves think.
Regardless of what you can "remember", those under 18 are considered "minors" under the law and they do not have all the rights of an adult.

They have even fewer "rights" when in school when it comes to what they can say or wear.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:52 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Post The district claims "The requirements are in no way an attempt to silence free expression..."

Quote:
They have even fewer "rights" when in school when it comes to what they can say or wear.
That is generally true, however the WCSD in general, and Kendyl Depoali Middle School dress code specifically, says they chose to allow students a degree of freedom of expression -- the school can choose to not allow any message T-Shirts at all, but if they do allow them (as Kendyl Depoali Middle School does), the school must be content neutral, especially with regard to political speech where it is permitted (see Policy 1310, below)

This new lawsuit, Guardanapo v. Washoe County School District et al specifically cites the district's Policy 5101 (plaintext version is oddly missing from the Washoe County schools website):

Also see policy 1310:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe1310
Nothing in this policy shall be construed to restrict or ban a student’s First Amendment Right to Free Speech, to include wearing of clothing and/or accessories related to a political stance, with the exception of unprotected speech.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-30-2018 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Nothing in this policy shall be construed to restrict or ban a student’s First Amendment Right to Free Speech

Old 04-30-2018, 11:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Regardless of what you can "remember", those under 18 are considered "minors" under the law and they do not have all the rights of an adult.

Sounds like an unconstitutional statutory law.
When does a person, become a person?

Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
100% correct. And I'm stunned, simply stunned, that some people are under the impression that minors don't have Constitutional Rights. /SMH
No one said that.

Schools are allowed to have dress codes. That has nothing to do with a child's constitutional rights.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The Supreme Court ruling has been posted and like it or not the court has restricted the rights of students here. I'm not a fan of that either but I'm also not a fan of ignoring facts.
"The Supreme Court ruling has been posted and like it or not the court has restricted the rights of students here"

I'd bet 100% of the people of America have NOT agreed with EVERY decision by the SC.

Later courts have overruled earlier courts MANY times.

They are NOT infallible.

It is NOT wrong to Think a newer court would over rule this decision.

What would you say about it then?

Old 05-01-2018, 04:04 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The Supreme Court ruling has been posted and like it or not the court has restricted the rights of students here"

I'd bet 100% of the people of America have NOT agreed with EVERY decision by the SC.

Later courts have overruled earlier courts MANY times.

They are NOT infallible.

It is NOT wrong to Think a newer court would over rule this decision.

What would you say about it then?
I would say that was the ruling. As I noted more than once, I don't really agree with the ruling. I support giving students a voice as long as it doesn't directly interfere with other students education.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:17 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Angry The school's dress code allows freedom of expression -- unless your politics don't match teacher's slant

Quote:
I would say that was the ruling.
Which ruling? Have you read Newsom v. Albemarle County School Board? Or even Tinker?

Quote:
As I noted more than once, I don't really agree with the ruling. I support giving students a voice as long as it doesn't directly interfere with other students education.
That's actually accounted for in this new lawsuit (Guardanapo v. Washoe County School District et al).

Kendyl Depoali Middle School dress code states that the school has chosen to allow students freedom of expression (Policy 5101), even allowing political political speech (Policy 1310), but has decided that Guardanapo doesn't deserve a voice -- they don't claim that his choice of shirt is disruptive or otherwise interferes with other students education, just that it doesn't match up with the teachers and administrators anti-gun political slant.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:05 AM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I wonder how life is going to work out for this entitled kid later in life.

What happens when he wants to wear a "political" to work to exercise his First Amendment rights and gets told to go home and change into something more appropriate, or gets fired? Unless he works at a gun shop, which may be his plan- who knows?

Or even if he works for himself, how he'll feel when he wears something inappropriate and loses a big job to a competitor who doesn't want to be proselytized to, and his potential client choses to go with someone who acts a little more professional? Unless he owns a gun shop, which may be his plan- who knows?

But...but...my parents and I made a federal case out of this when I was just a young boy, so I though this means I could just do whatever I want as long as it's legal. No, young lad, I am afraid there are consequences to doing whatever you want.

People need to realize that some things are simply disrespectful and inappropriate and shouldn't be done, rather than making a federal case out everything. I sure hope the taxpayers aren't on the hook for court costs involved with this.

This is aside from the other legal issues being debated here and the question of why he would feel the need to wear such a shirt to begin with (unless it wasn't just to stir things up for the sake of doing it).

Last edited by Jowel; 05-06-2018 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies