Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Well, I consider myself center right and I don't see it that way. As I mentioned, I liked Reagan pretty well but I wouldn't consider him a saint. And I've always thought that Carter gets a bad rap. If he'd had better luck (say, the Fed getting serious about fighting inflation several years earlier) he would have been considered a successful president.
Everyone seems to forget that Carter was President when our embassy in Iran was attacked and Americans were held hostage. Carter had a reputation for being weak and being a nice guy when it came to foreign policy and the Iranians took full advantage of it. They held Americans hostage for 444 days and Carter seemed helpless to do anything to help them.
Also our military budget was also slashed. Many blamed the failed attempt to rescue the hostages resulting in American deaths on Carter's weakness and the Democrats for slashing the defense budget. Whether wrong or right, Carter and the Dems took a huge hit for this.
Iran let the hostages go the day Reagan was inaugurated because they didn't want to mess with him. Let's not forget history and what happens to a President who is also a nice guy and weak on foreign policy.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Acting Presidential and representing all of America can unite a country. Trump is textbook on how to divide one. Perhaps his legacy will be to serve as a warning of how fragile our democracy truly is, and for patriotic Americans to never take it for granted.
Textbook on how to divide huh? Like what for example? Unless you were refering to Obama, the most divisive and openly racist POS POTUS in history...

And by the way, like I have had to remind liberals at least a dozen times...we are NOT a democracy

Old 04-27-2018, 08:59 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
[quote=Pilot1;51732915]^^^^^This. Trump is abrasive, uncouth, has no filter, speaks his mind, and sometimes acts childish. I take the positive with the negative. I want a President that means what he says, and speaks honestly, not some mealy mouthed politician parsing his words. Trump is accomplishing some positive things, yet due to his personality, and the dishonesty of the LEFT, it is often not recognized.[/QUOTE]

Trump has accomplished very little. He can't even drain the swamp, he just keeps adding to it. Plus he constantly lies. And I want a president who tries to work with both parties which Trump doesn't. I want a president who doesn't have temper tantrums when someone doesn't agree with him.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:04 PM

[quote=natalie469;51739698]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^This. Trump is abrasive, uncouth, has no filter, speaks his mind, and sometimes acts childish. I take the positive with the negative. I want a President that means what he says, and speaks honestly, not some mealy mouthed politician parsing his words. Trump is accomplishing some positive things, yet due to his personality, and the dishonesty of the LEFT, it is often not recognized.[/QUOTE]

Trump has accomplished very little. He can't even drain the swamp, he just keeps adding to it. Plus he constantly lies. And I want a president who tries to work with both parties which Trump doesn't. I want a president who doesn't have temper tantrums when someone doesn't agree with him.
Obama had his temper tantrums as well, he just did it with more style. He was also famous for not working with Republicans on almost everything. Remember "elections have consequences"? That was his response for not working with Republicans. You don't like it much now that the shoe is on the other foot do you?
In some ways, Obama was worse and more ruthless than Trump but Obama looked so nice and when he spoke people like you were smitten with love for him. Of course you wouldn't care that he turned the IRS into his personal mafia to go after conservative organizations.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:08 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Trump gave the world a peaceful North Korea who pledged denuclearization

Obama bowed and apologized

Trump>Obama

Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
[quote=natalie469;51739698]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^This. Trump is abrasive, uncouth, has no filter, speaks his mind, and sometimes acts childish. I take the positive with the negative. I want a President that means what he says, and speaks honestly, not some mealy mouthed politician parsing his words. Trump is accomplishing some positive things, yet due to his personality, and the dishonesty of the LEFT, it is often not recognized.[/QUOTE]

The I guess you didn't "want" a loser like Obama then huh? I mean that arrogant jackazz never, NEVER even tried to work with both parties. NOT EVEN CLOSE... Please post a link where Trump openly REFUSED to work with the democrats..go ahead

By the way, perhaps you need to watch this, and then tell me who was being openly divisive and who was calling for unity...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noh2Tl0dI6c

Old 04-27-2018, 09:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Everyone seems to forget that Carter was President when our embassy in Iran was attacked and Americans were held hostage. Carter had a reputation for being weak and being a nice guy when it came to foreign policy and the Iranians took full advantage of it. They held Americans hostage for 444 days and Carter seemed helpless to do anything to help them.
Also our military budget was also slashed. Many blamed the failed attempt to rescue the hostages resulting in American deaths on Carter's weakness and the Democrats for slashing the defense budget. Whether wrong or right, Carter and the Dems took a huge hit for this.
Iran let the hostages go the day Reagan was inaugurated because they didn't want to mess with him. Let's not forget history and what happens to a President who is also a nice guy and weak on foreign policy.
That's a bit of revisionist history. Plus you left some important things out .

-The whole Iran situation dates back to August of 1953, when the US and UK aided a coup de etat to overthrow Mohammed Mossadegh and reinstated deposed monarch Reza Pahlavi as a puppet of the US

-Pahlavi's rule after being reinstated was vicious, and the Persian people were treated like crap for 26 years

-Ruhollah Khomeini was imprisoned by Pahlavi the same way that Mandela was imprisoned by the South African apartheid government, and grew to be seen as a hero by the oppressed Persians the same as Mandela

-Finally after Pahlavi was overthrown and the Iranian Revolution was in full swing, the hostage crisis

-It is widely believed (possibly even proven) that people who later got appointments from Reagan after the 80 election made an arms deal with Khomeini and the Mullahs in exchange for releasing the hostages after the election; which was a win for both sides, it armed the Iranians and made Carter look bad ensuring a Reagan victory

It had nothing to do with the Iranians fearing Reagan

Old 04-27-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's a bit of revisionist history. Plus you left some important things out .

-The whole Iran situation dates back to August of 1953, when the US and UK aided a coup de etat to overthrow Mohammed Mossadegh and reinstated deposed monarch Reza Pahlavi as a puppet of the US

-Pahlavi's rule after being reinstated was vicious, and the Persian people were treated like crap for 26 years

-Ruhollah Khomeini was imprisoned by Pahlavi the same way that Mandela was imprisoned by the South African apartheid government, and grew to be seen as a hero by the oppressed Persians the same as Mandela

-Finally after Pahlavi was overthrown and the Iranian Revolution was in full swing, the hostage crisis

-It is widely believed (possibly even proven) that people who later got appointments from Reagan after the 80 election made an arms deal with Khomeini and the Mullahs in exchange for releasing the hostages after the election; which was a win for both sides, it armed the Iranians and made Carter look bad ensuring a Reagan victory

It had nothing to do with the Iranians fearing Reagan
Oh please, you can write your own history all day long if you like to. The whole fiasco happened on Carter's watch and no one else's and that's a fact. I was alive and well when all this happened and followed it closely. Carter was extremely weak and everyone including foreign powers knew it. Sugar coating it like you're doing didn't work in 1979 and 1980 and it's not going to work now.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:36 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
BANG!

Game - set - match

I Donald Trump will build the wall and Mexico will pay for it !!!! bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang....

Old 04-27-2018, 09:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
If that is actually the case, why then did Obama NOT unite the country???
President Obama tried to. The problem is Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc., etc., and those politicians who constantly, and unrelentingly, try to appeal to the fringe element of the rightwing, and now this fringe element has grown to actually represent the entire Republican Party, and this has spawned all the Breitbart's and other wingnut enablers who have preached divisiveness and hatred towards blacks, hispanics, homosexuals, women, etc., etc.

Democrats have never preached this same divisiveness, and Pres. Obama never appealed to the fringe elements, he tried to appeal to both sides of the aisle, and even praised Ronald Reagan. He tried, but no matter what he did, it likely would never have been enough, as he is an African American man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies