Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 09:15 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,735,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Because that will mean fewer seats overall, which will make each one more expensive. It's not fair to the rest of us just because some people feel entitled to be fat.
If the market is working, then more flights would become available to meet the demand for more seats. There's no reason to think the price of regular economy seats would go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 09:23 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,856,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Those are very expensive solutions though. So many people are so fat, yet airline don't offer extra-wide economy class seats. Why not?? Why not make large, no-frills seats available at a moderately higher price?
If the seat is double the size it should be double the price.
It isn't mine or the airline's fault that some people are obese. I certainly shouldn't have to subsidize the price of their tickets.
That said I would be interested in paying extra for a larger seat.
Why not make large no frills seats.
Every travel abroad? Those planes are packed. less seats means that the airline will need to charge more to recover the lost income. For what? To obese a minority of fliers?
I fly 60,000 miles a year+ and I can tell you that obese passengers are an extreme minority.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
If the seat is double the size it should be double the price.
It isn't mine or the airline's fault that some people are obese. I certainly shouldn't have to subsidize the price of their tickets.
That said I would be interested in paying extra for a larger seat.
Why not make large no frills seats.
Every travel abroad? Those planes are packed. less seats means that the airline will need to charge more to recover the lost income. For what? To obese a minority of fliers?
I fly 60,000 miles a year+ and I can tell you that obese passengers are an extreme minority.
... seems like you didn't even read the comment of mine you're responding to.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:30 PM

17,944 posts, read 27,373,653 times
Could they just place a big fat person between two skinny-minnies?

Quote:
The skinny person is entitled to all of the 17-18 inches of seat width space he paid for, no?
We live in a world of fat people. We could just force them to take the bus or a livestock trailer or train and such, but we are a compassionate race.

The skinny people really don't use their whole seat.

They can scootch over a little.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-29-2018 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-29-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Could they just place a big fat person between two skinny-minnies?
The skinny person is entitled to all of the 17-18 inches of seat width space he paid for, no?

Old 04-30-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Those are very expensive solutions though. So many people are so fat, yet airline don't offer extra-wide economy class seats. Why not?? Why not make large, no-frills seats available at a moderately higher price?
Thinking about this a bit more... forcing fat people to pay more for a larger seat would lead to endless drama and accusations of fat shaming. But what if an airline made "big economy" seats that cost like 30% more the standard, and then let thin people apply for the privilege of sitting in a section with regular seats at a discount if they choose? There could be a machine that scans people at check-in to see if they are small enough to qualify for the lower priced seats.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 AM

16,964 posts, read 12,534,154 times
I will never forget the flight from hell between two HUGE 400+ pounders. shudder. Full flight. One lap carrying a baby the other smelly and eating a giant sausage.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:13 AM

25,804 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Why not just charge per pound for a ticket and provide so many extra wide seats? If you are 350 lbs your ticket should be more than someone half your weight to begin with. So if there aren’t enough wide seats you have to find another flight.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:15 AM

16,964 posts, read 12,534,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You put the arm rest down and hold your ground. They'll be the one asking for the attendant.

FIRST THING I DO! If Im first in my row. Arm rest comes down.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:18 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,856,006 times
Quote:
... seems like you didn't even read the comment of mine you're responding to.
Seems like I did. The seat price should reflect the seat size. twice as big twice the price. 50% bigger 50% more expensive.
But why should the airline go to such expense and trouble for a very few passengers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies