Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Surely they can make up the loss with their other units.
I've always said if you run a business I do by the way and if you can't afford to pay your staff a fair wage or charge fair rents you are just a bad businessman plain and simple. Maximizing your profits over all else creates horrible situations for people below you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 09:43 AM

1,874 posts, read 817,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

I never understand why people like you, even those who have never owned a business or invested in the market, look at people who have not settled for a 9-5 type of career/life, with disdain. You assume they are all greedy and will take advantage of their employees, tenants, etc.

However what is even more disturbing, and wholly inaccurate, is your absurd analogy within free markets. Sure anyone can list a widget on Ebay for 1 billion dollars, but it will never sell, because it is only worth what an individual is willing to pay. Thus the market in most free capitalistic societies charges what the market will bare.

As it relates to this subject, some cities are better than others regarding "low income housing" or section 8 where taxpayers foot most or all of the bill (you know, us greedy 1%).
But it is predicated on most of society accepting they must produce something (i.e. work, products, etc.) for a large period of their lives, and also have planned for retirement to be able to sustain their lifestyles in their golden years.
Now I know that is a lot to ask of people who would rather just live day by day, and not be encumbered with work, personal responsibility, and the like.
But in this country, unless you are physically disabled you are expected to produce, not be a leach on the backs of others.

Lastly, you use a tent for an example, and though an absurd notion, I am glad you did. In a government controlled society they could mandate you live in a tent or housing project based on your status within society, whether that be race, religion, bloodlines, etc.
[Funny how leftists always envision a Utopian, fair, and benevolent government controlling everything for the best interest of every citizens. But did you ever think why the leaders of such communist countries not live exactly like the people they control?
Needless to say human history has proved this to be a false Utopea, time and time again]

But I digress.
So back to tent cities where the evil 1% would like the 99% to live, and be thankful for it.

Here is a newsflash,,,,if you are living in a tent city in a free capitalistic society like ours, you work hard to get the heck out.
I like many people started out with very little money coming from a lower middle income family. When I was 17, I was sent out on my own and expected to survive. All I could afford with my job was renting a room inside a house with others in the same boat. That meant little privacy, sharing common areas, including bathrooms, etc.
I didn't like it, but neither did I feel entitled to anything more unless I earned it.

Guess what?

I decided to improve my station in life, and worked harder to be able to afford more. Over time I got better jobs, went back to school on my own dime (while working 2 jobs), etc., etc.
Now I am upper middle class (not even close to the 1%), and rest assured I do not envy them. If I want to be part of the 1%, I will need to work even more, or come up with other revenue streams and invest wisely.
But as I continue on my journey, I also take time to volunteer, give to charity, provide jobs to people, and other things that benefit society.
I in turn expect others to do what their goals/ambitions are, provided it is not to live off the sweat and work of others. That does not make me evil or heartless, it makes me a productive member of our constitutional republic, fueled on capitalism, to become the greatest most powerful and wealthy society in human history.
Just imagine if everyone worked a little harder for themselves and their families to achieve their goals.

In closing, for those who do not want to buy into our free society, unlike communist countries, we do not demand you stay.
You are free to leave and seek a society that will take care of you from cradle to grave. You will of course be expected to conform to their rules/laws, and might not like what you find.
Just don't try to subvert our society from within. If you don't like it, feel free to leave and find a better one, as no one is forcing you to stay.

`
Great post and I couldn't agree more. If you love big gov there are better places for you. Although its getting bad here too thanks to BOTH parties.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Great post and I couldn't agree more. If you love big gov there are better places for you. Although its getting bad here too thanks to BOTH parties.
Do you really think that giving the wealthy more power will benefit you personally? Corporations can be just as oppressive as any government especially if there is no check on what they can do.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I've always said if you run a business I do by the way and if you can't afford to pay your staff a fair wage or charge fair rents you are just a bad businessman plain and simple. Maximizing your profits over all else creates horrible situations for people below you.
If you are making it up on someone else, aren't they paying higher than fair?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:45 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Aww those poor greedy landlords my heart bleeds
WOW! An elderly immigrant couple who managed to buy the building almost 40 years ago are "greedy"?

If this woman manipulated the tenant as they claim she is the greedy one here.

Rent control was designed to keep tenants from being gouged, not to protect what this person did.

You know that most landlords aren't wealthy, they're working class people who chose to invest in RE rather than a 401k or IRA.

Quote:
That entire statement has nothing to do with anything in this thread, really. First you say "those greedy landlords" and then you say "they're bad business people if they can't get a fair rent"... making you a contradictory hypocrite.

Quote:
If you are making it up on someone else, aren't they paying higher than fair?
YES!

This one tenant is either stealing from the other tenants or from the landlord.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Do you really think that giving the wealthy more power will benefit you personally? Corporations can be just as oppressive as any government especially if there is no check on what they can do.
What does your comment have to do with mine? It honestly sounds like you just read something off a script.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
What does your comment have to do with mine? It honestly sounds like you just read something off a script.
I was responding to your paranoia about "big govt".

Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
That’s not true , there are many jobs in “flyover country “ especially these days with the strong economy .

Even in Texas alone there are many thriving cities where housing is still affordable . They are growing and unemployment is low .

It’s no wonder many from California and other states end up moving to Texas .

Unless you are in certain industries living in NYC and other high cost cities doesn’t make much sense financially .
So people who have lived their entire lives in NYC and want to stay there should be forced to move because why, exactly?

There are millions of older people living in NYC who grew up there, never learned to drive, have relatives, doctors, houses of worship, etc. close by, not to mention deceased relatives likely buried in local cemeteries, and you think that they should just up and move to somewhere in the middle of the country because you say so?

They should just give up everything they know because, what, their presence is inconvenient?

Yeah, okay.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:55 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
So people who have lived their entire lives in NYC and want to stay there should be forced to move because why, exactly?
This is sidetracking the thread at this point.

This was a bad decision by the courts. IF it is true this woman convinced a dying man to adopt her (she's 67 for God sake) then she is manipulating the system. She doesn't need to move, but she also doesn't deserve the discount on the apt.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:56 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Same reason others have to move: increasingly higher real estate taxes, increasingly higher cost of living, etc.

How do you think neighborhoods turn over? It's because the elderly are priced out by costs and the younger move in.

Ask me how I know... I lived in a 100+ year old Chicago suburban neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies