Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
This kind of data only tells half the story. Did anyone track the lies of past presidents? Im sure Trump is probably in the lead, but if the same standards were used to measure previous office holders, where would Trump fall? Is he THAT far ahead? Possibly, but the bias and lazy work here makes it impossible to compare.

Oh Puhleeease, President Pinocchio is the worst public liar in the entire history of the world!

Old 06-01-2018, 10:15 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Oh Puhleeease, President Pinocchio is the worst public liar in the entire history of the world!
Cute, but ignore what I said. There is nothing to compare it to. See how that works, zero data integrity or baseline to compare to. You can get all cute if you want, but I just want more facts so I can determine for myself exactly how bad he is. Is he lying 10x more, 100x more, 1000x more or 15% more than any of our previous presidents? Nobody knows because its much easier to just rant about these numbers without doing any historical comparison.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-01-2018 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 06-01-2018, 10:40 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Cute, but ignore what I said. There is nothing to compare it to. See how that works, zero data integrity or baseline to compare to. You can get all cute if you want, but I just want more facts so I can determine for myself exactly how bad he is. Is he lying 10x more, 100x more, 1000x more or 15% more than any of our previous presidents? Nobody knows because its much easier to just rant about these numbers without doing any historical comparison.

With all his documented BS.......there doesn't need to be ANY COMPARISON to know THERE IS NO COMPARISON!

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-01-2018 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 06-01-2018, 10:46 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
With all his documented BS.......there doesn't need to be ANY COMPARISON to know THERE IS NO COMPARISON!
Because I'm asking why nobody can give us a historical reference for how he ranks? I mean what use is one data point if there is no reference point to understand the magnitude of what is being claimed?

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-01-2018 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 06-01-2018, 11:15 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
This kind of data only tells half the story. Did anyone track the lies of past presidents? Im sure Trump is probably in the lead, but if the same standards were used to measure previous office holders, where would Trump fall? Is he THAT far ahead? Possibly, but the bias and lazy work here makes it impossible to compare.
I don't think you're going to find exact statistics for a variety of reasons. For one thing, journalism and media is now much more pervasive than it has ever been. Plus, while all presidents are known to have lied in some degrees, it never seemed so important to track and quantify them before Trump. Have you yourself asked these questions of other presidents?

However, so much has been written about Trump's lies, there might be something to it. Politico had an article that said this:

"All presidents lie. Richard Nixon said he was not a crook, yet he orchestrated the most shamelessly crooked act in the modern presidency. Ronald Reagan said he wasn’t aware of the Iran-Contra deal; there’s evidence he was. Bill Clinton said he did not have sex with that woman; he did, or close enough. Lying in politics transcends political party and era. It is, in some ways, an inherent part of the profession of politicking. But Donald Trump is in a different category. The sheer frequency, spontaneity and seeming irrelevance of his lies have no precedent."

Link: https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...t-brain-214658

Politico has also published lists of misstatements by Trump and Obama you may have seen. The frequency shows that Trump lies 18x more than Obama. And yet so many people in this forum still complain about how much Obama lied, and for some reason give Trump a pass.

So no, I don't think you're going to find comprehensive statistics to compare frequency of lies told by all presidents. But the overwhelming sentiment is that Trump is far and away the biggest liar we've had in the Whitehouse.

Feel free to list any references that say otherwise though. I'm sure we'd all like to see them.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:15 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
There is nothing to compare it to. See how that works, zero data integrity or baseline to compare to.
politifact could be a good place to start altho they don't give an amount of lies any individual has spoken they do have percentage breakdown of the truth/lies fact checked. here's how trump compares to obama ( unfortunately they don't have a scorecard for gw bush or i would have included it ):

true/mostly true
obama 27% trump 15%

half true
obama 49% trump 16%

false/mostly false/pants on fire
obama 26% trump 69%

Old 06-01-2018, 12:32 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Trump averages half a dozen lies a day, with bursts up to a dozen if he's giving a speech.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...15164028194816

I am not aware of any other person, let alone any other POTUS, who has ever been close to this tally of lies.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:03 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
No - the lazy work here is YOURS. It only takes a couple clicks to get the info.

Let's take Obama, for example:

This link

All False statements involving Barack Obama | PolitiFact

provides FOUR pages of lies during Obama's entire EIGHT YEAR TERM,

whereas that same site, for Trump, as of today provides NINE pages in ONLY 1.33 years.

All False statements involving Donald Trump | PolitiFact

If Trump continues at that pace, over an eight-year period, Trump's total pages on Politifact will equal
54 pages of lies for Trump v. 4 for Obama.
Trump lies - at least - 13.5x more than Obama ever did.

Clearly Trump is a SUPER PINOCCHIO. The LIAR of ALL LIARS.

And, NONE of the Presidents played fast and loose with the truth on a daily basis, irresponsibily inventing conspiracies out of thin air in order to distract from real issues and fool his stupid supporters.

He is an utter disgrace to his office. The man couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it - because he actually believes whatever comes out of his mouth will eventually become real.

Further - he's a madman.

Here's an excellent piece which comes closest yet in dissecting the disgusting creature inflicted on this country:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.f5df565756fd

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-01-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 01:14 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Quote:
Because I'm asking why nobody can give us a historical reference for how he ranks? I mean what use is one data point if there is no reference point to understand the magnitude of what is being claimed?
Hey he is number1. Its good to see he is number 1 somewhere.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:16 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No - the lazy work here is YOURS. Let's take Obama, for example:

This link

All False statements involving Barack Obama | PolitiFact

provides FOUR pages of lies during Obama's entire EIGHT YEAR TERM,

whereas that same site, for Trump, as of today provides NINE pages in ONLY 1.33 years.

All False statements involving Donald Trump | PolitiFact

If Trump continues at that pace, over an eight-year period, Trump's total pages on Politifact will equal
54 pages of lies for Trump v. 4 for Obama.
Trump lies - at least - 13.5x more than Obama ever did.

Clearly Trump is a SUPER PINOCCHIO. The LIAR of ALL LIARS.

And, NONE of the Presidents played fast and loose with the truth, irresponsibily inventing conspiracies out of thin air just to distract and fool his stupid supporters. He is an utter disgrace to his office. The man couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it - because he actually believes whatever comes out of his mouth will eventually become real.

Further - he's a madman.

Here's an excellent piece which comes closest yet in identifying the disgusting creature inflicted on this country:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.f5df565756fd
Good Job +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies