Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 09:32 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,735,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Why doesn't it? You stated that the concept of "cultural appropriation" is right out of "leftist" academia (I assume you believe this is a left vs right issue). I'm saying that, even if that were true, not all "liberals" accept academic notions like "cultural appropriation." At least not in a land of immigrants like the United States.
... which is why I specifically chose the word "leftist" rather than "liberal". I do think cultural appropriation, and the other concepts that have come out of postmodernism and post colonialism are pretty central to current leftist ideology.

Quote:
Having said that, I'll admit that, because my parents are Scottish immigrants, it has always mildly annoyed me when I hear bagpipes playing at an event/gathering that is neither Scottish nor Irish. But I quickly get over it.
There might be some potential there for a movement promoting the Scots and Irish as part of the deserving global victim class for the 21st century. There's lots of historical oppression to draw on, and tons of appropriated culture. But they're just so darn white. It'll be a tough sell.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,576,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
We know that some people were offended, and we know that some were not. Does that mean that those who were offended should be ignored?
Those who were offended should be edified so that their ignorance no longer causes them to suffer needless offense.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,629,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sooo stupid, I think the dress looks cool.

Glad she's not kowtowing to the idiocy.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teen...171740408.html
I saw that in mainland China there is actually a substantial amount of support for her choice in the dress.
I thought it was a good choice of style and "thinking outside the box" for the prom formalities.

I am Native American. I think the accusations of racism against here are blown out of proportion. The racism against Asians during WWII, the Korean War, and Vietnam War was much worse. The "G" word was very common. So was the "Ch" word. This scene shows a young Bruce Lee facing Anti-Asian discrimination common in the 1950s and 1960s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzonTHZSaq0

The village scene in "Platoon" was notoriously brutal - reminiscent of My Lai. The film was made by a real Vietnam Veteran and revealed a lot of racial tension in the midst of search-and-destroy missions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEuCJFccAsI

The Amerasians, children of American soldiers and Vietnamese mothers, suffered badly with discrimination. Many were abandoned at the end of the Vietnam War.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...war-131207347/

By contrast, I thought the Utah teen's choice of dress was simply a sign of cultural respect to Asians.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:58 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,136,360 times
I wore a Chinese dress to my prom back in the 90s in South Texas. Everyone loved it.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
So if someone decided to wear an indigenous headress to a prom, that would be perfectly fine?
Yes

Old 05-03-2018, 04:39 AM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Quote:
We know that some people were offended, and we know that some were not. Does that mean that those who were offended should be ignored?
Yes. IGNORED. There is no right to not be offended. Be offended all you want, but don't infringe on my right of expression. Maybe don't look at the dress if you are offended?

And yes, if I want to go to a Halloween Party dressed as an Indian, I damn well will do that.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:41 AM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Quote:
So if someone decided to wear an indigenous headress to a prom, that would be perfectly fine?
Indigenous to what? Asia? Because that's where the Indians came from.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,820,159 times
Stupid. People need something dumb to complain about on social media. If it weren't a Chinese dress, they'd find something else to complain about.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:58 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,816,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

There might be some potential there for a movement promoting the Scots and Irish as part of the deserving global victim class for the 21st century. There's lots of historical oppression to draw on, and tons of appropriated culture. But they're just so darn white. It'll be a tough sell.
LOL. Ya know, you're absolutely right! Now I'm as pi$$ed about it as you evidently are.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:23 AM

26,346 posts, read 14,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Having said that, I'll admit that, because my parents are Scottish immigrants, it has always mildly annoyed me when I hear bagpipes playing at an event/gathering that is neither Scottish nor Irish. But I quickly get over it.
Do you realize that the Scottish culturally appropriated the bagpipes?

The oldest known bagpipes were found in Middle East and are 3000 years old. Some historians believe that invading Romans brought them to Scotland, but the evidence is real thin that Scotland had bagpipes before the 1300s. Several places like ancient Egypt had bagpipes for centuries and centuries before the Scots. Several European countries and Asian countries had it beforehand too.

Are the Scots stealing via cultural appropriation or are they simply living in a multicultural world where ideas and concepts are freely exchanged globally? It is tough to know when to use leftist beliefs when they contradict.

Should I be mildly annoyed at people who think bagpipes are Scottish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.