Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

A few people expressed 'outrage' on social media.

Stop the presses, it must be a huge movement.

Social media has created a venue where folks get 'outraged' or 'criticize' on almost anything and then someone critizies or gets outraged about the criticism or outrage -- blah blah blah blah.

It's silly -- she should wear whatever makes her happy.

i will say that most young people today are well aware that their social media accounts create opportunities for others to criticize. They have to be ready to accept it and live with it -- or get off social media.

Don't make your tweets, posts public if you don't want to be subjected to everyone's outrage -- lol.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:23 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The same liberal whackos offended by a white girl wearing a Chinese dress to prom would go bonkers against someone that was offended by a Chinese girl wearing white cultural attire.

Liberal whacko hypocrisy 101.

Multiculturalism - except if you are white, you can't wear anything outside of your culture!
Not only that, but as we are often reminded by our betters, we have no culture! So we have none and we're not allowed to borrow from anyone else's.

Really though, it's a nice dress and she looks good in it. As someone mentioned, maybe she could have done without the slit up the side, but it's less revealing than a lot of dresses you see girls wearing to the prom nowadays. I wouldn't mind seeing that style catch on actually. Maybe we should appropriate it more often.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:25 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
A better way to stay on the right side of cultural appropriation: ridicule. Every person who claims it's an issue needs to be laughed at, every time they bring it up.
you can also be an Anglo-Democrat with a Hispanic nickname so you can get elected in heavily Hispanic El Paso.... Beto for senate anyone?

Old 05-01-2018, 06:25 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Excellent point about martial arts studios and their gis (attire).

And for that matter, isn't being a student of martial arts considered to be yet another form of cultural appropriation? How about an audiophile who loves to listen to ska or reggae? How about people who enjoy salsa dancing? Are they all cultural appropriation? Seems to me all of the above encourages multiculturalism, which is what many want.
I've heard yoga is a form of cultural appropriation.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
A few people expressed 'outrage' on social media.

Stop the presses, it must be a huge movement.

Social media has created a venue where folks get 'outraged' or 'criticize' on almost anything and then someone critizies or gets outraged about the criticism or outrage -- blah blah blah blah.

It's silly -- she should wear whatever makes her happy.

i will say that most young people today are well aware that their social media accounts create opportunities for others to criticize. They have to be ready to accept it and live with it -- or get off social media.

Don't make your tweets, posts public if you don't want to be subjected to everyone's outrage -- lol.
1 or 50 you can bet they were exclusively "of the left"

Old 05-01-2018, 06:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Of course, you can! And I won't even consider it to be cultural appropriation. Have at it! Viva la multiculturalism!
Yay!! ::impatiently awaits church bazaar season::

Old 05-01-2018, 06:33 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
This isn’t a liberal or left-wing issue; it’s only relevant to those on the outer fringes.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:34 AM

88,990 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've heard that, too, and it's sad. Yoga benefits SO many people, even those with limited mobility. I gave my elderly Mom a "chair yoga" DVD for Mother's Day last year and even did it with her several times so she could see how easy it was and how much better she felt afterwards.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:38 AM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What is white cultural attire? An Abercrombie & Fitch T-shirt?
Are you denying that I have a legitimate point by making a stereotype joke? What is black cultural attire? Pants sagging exposing boxers? I should be offended at my last white plumber.

These whack jobs wouldn't be offended by a Japanese man wearing lederhosen.

Nor would they be offended by a Nigerian wearing a tuxedo.

Nor would they be offended by a Chinese guy wearing a cowboy suit.

Nor would they be offended by a Middle Easterner dressed like a Pilgrim.

Let's go protest on a Brazilian beach that the bikini is not a part of their culture initially...no one ever said.

If you are truly for multicultural diversity you can't attack someone for cultural appropriation over wearing a Chinese dress while white.

Culture evolves and spreads with human contact. You can't want globalism without global culture.

"Cultural appropriation" is a hypocritical one way street.

What is next for leftist bizzaro world? Cultural appropriation for being white while eating Chinese food?

Last edited by michiganmoon; 05-01-2018 at 06:49 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 06:51 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That means the ubiquitous yoga pants are too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies