Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 07:56 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

My prediction: the U.S. economy will continue to do great and the stock market will go higher.

All of this tariff talk is much ado about nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 08:33 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There were tons of articles and lots of discussions on the economic impact of raising the minimum wage of fast food workers.

I guess you missed it.

The real impact of the MW are the racist & xenophobic intents behind it. It's important to understand why the MW was invented and why it was implemented in various countries.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:47 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Isn't the better question why the US imports 90% of it s aluminum? Where is Alcoa?
This explains why: Canadian aluminum shows its mettle in face of Trump's tariff | CBC News

Quote:
Canada — especially Quebec — produces a lot of cheap hydro. The mighty rivers of Quebec are the foundation of Canada's aluminum industry.

U.S. electricity rates are much higher. The price differential for this critical input far outweighs the cost of a 10 per cent tariff.

That's why U.S. industry buys half of its aluminum from Canada — nearly four times as much as it buys from its own producers.

The 14 U.S. aluminum smelters are typically older, smaller, and less cost-efficient than their counterparts in Canada, not to mention the ones in China and Russia. More than half of them are either closed or operating well below capacity.

Just one Canadian smelter — Aluminerie Alouette Inc. in Sept-Iles, Que. — comes close to equalling the entire output of the U.S. aluminum industry.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:49 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Yes but this is a national security issue and we cannot trust Canada.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:57 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
The U.S> has a trade suprlus with Canada.

So I understand. However, when discussing Mr. Trump, we must, alas! descend into using the 'alternative facts' cited by the President.

And, yes, our US Government declaring that Canada, Mexico and the EU comprise a 'security risk' to the United States is yet another alternative fact. As noted by many, Mr. Trump tends to favor countries like Russia, China and Saudi Arabia, among others. He is a curious man is Donald JOHN Trump.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:31 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
A good, simple explanation. Of course, one can easily substitute the word 'tax' for 'tariff', to get to the gist of it.
Hey, I gist - and I definitely gist with gistes.

I recommend to Trump that he put a SIGNIFICANT tariffs on Canola Oil, and switch to China-grown non-GMOed Rape Seed Oil, and to the tropics for non-GMOed virgin Coconut Oil - all safe from Monsanto.

Gist . . . Gist keep the Monsanto stuff the fk outta here!

Hey Trump - Make America Great Again!

And, I don't gist mean corporations - I mean the people over here too!

I know where Trump gets his power - he gets it from not ingesting Canola Oil.

Yeah! And keep that Canadian sludge oil pipeline the hell out, too!

I'd kiss a North Dakotiam before I'd ever kiss a Canadian.

And, fk the NIH while you're at it (See Lorenzo's Oil).

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 06-03-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 06-03-2018, 10:15 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
https://qz.com/1222922/trumps-steel-...num-producers/

Even aluminum producers don’t want Trump’s aluminum tariff

Heidi Brock, president and CEO of the Aluminum Association, shares a common goal with Trump: a thriving US aluminum industry. She’s worried his proposal lets the real culprit off the hook—China.

In its current form, Trump’s proposed 10% tariff on imported aluminum would apply equally to all countries. America imports 90% of the aluminum (paywall) it uses. Canada is the top exporter to the US, followed by Russia.

The authors of the letter believe Trump should target China’s massive aluminum overcapacity, which has flushed the market with cheap materials, instead of penalizing the industry’s North American and European trade partners. As it stands, China is the US’ fourth-largest source for foreign aluminum.
The Aluminum Association is a standards group and an Industry Lobby 501c Organization that represents American companies AND Canadian Companies

I would say that Heidi has a bit of a conflict of interest when it comes to Tariffs on Canadian Aluminum.

In 2015 - China was the #1 exporter of Aluminum in the World
In 2015 - Canada was the #1 importer of Aluminum in the World.
What are the odds that these 2 facts are related???

It's no secret that China floods markets with Trans-Shipping. They ship it to Canada, Canada ships it to the USA -- this allows China to CONTROL the World's Aluminum (they do the same thing with Steel) and it would also allow China to CUT OFF THE SUPPLY of crucial products whenever they might choose to do so.

Testimony as Prepared
Heidi Brock, President and CEO, The Aluminum Association U.S. International Trade Commission September 29, 2016

To that end, we believe the Commission's report should focus on:

*Needless production: Produce findings on the nature and extent of continued use of inefficient and antiquated facilities and the continued unwarranted expansion of greenfield capacity.

*Transparency: Highlight the need to obtain information and transparency about policies that encourage overcapacity including information about state-owned enterprises (SOEs) operating in the aluminum industry as well as SOEs that provide the industry with supplies, electric power, and services.

*Tax Policies: Investigate China's tax policies on aluminum exports, Chinese traders are "gaming" the system such that primary aluminum that does not qualify for the tax rebate is making its way into the U.S. market disguised as a semi-fabricated product. How can China tighten its enforcement ofthe 15% export tax on primary aluminum and crack down on fake semis?

*Enforcement: Review the enforcement of CVD/AD orders and research the impact of transshipments through third countries that circumvent those orders or other tariffs.

*Environmental Impacts: Examine the role of China's aluminum industry in meeting the commitments China has made to reduce carbon emissions. China cannot meet its carbon reduction commitments without both eliminating energy subsidies and curtailing outdated, carbon-intensive production in the aluminum industry.

This is a large agenda, but we are gratified that the Commission has begun the process of investigating the complex issues driving overcapacity and overproduction in the aluminum sector in China. We remain committed to a healthy and growing global aluminum industry where all producers play by the same set of rules on a level playing field.

It's interesting that Heidi was promoting "the same set of rules on a level playing field" (sounds like Trump doesn't she?) before the 2016 Election ....... and now she is against that.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Isn't the better question why the US imports 90% of it s aluminum? Where is Alcoa?
We only have 2 smelters left operating in the USA - Alcoa has closed all their smelters.
I haven't dug down far enough to find out why - I suspect 2 reasons.

1.) Over production in China flooded the market.
2.) The EPA forced them to shut down.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:29 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Yes we have a robust job growth economy. 92 months of positive job growth. That's amazing. Let's see how much longer we can keep going.

Not sure why we need trade wars if the economy is so robust.
We don't need trade wars. Just equalize tariffs.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:30 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
We only have 2 smelters left operating in the USA - Alcoa has closed all their smelters.
I haven't dug down far enough to find out why - I suspect 2 reasons.

1.) Over production in China flooded the market.
2.) The EPA forced them to shut down.

US manufacturers also have a higher resistance to investing in new facilities than their foreign competition.

It's not that we cannot compete with foreign production, it is we choose not to invest in the infrastructure that would make our production more cost efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies