Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 10:59 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post

Now I have always strongly disagreed with the Democrats on one issue: illiegal immigration. I really do think that anyone here illegally, with some humanitarian exceptions (most notably the "Dreamers") has no right whatsoever to be in this country and should be deported. I also think that birthright citizenship is a terrible idea. I wholeheartedly agree with the "no borders/no country" sentiment.

Up until now I have supported Democrats in different ways by saying to myself: "I must bite the bullet because promoting one cause I disagree with and three causes I do agree with is a reasonable tradeoff".

Yet recently I arrived at a new thought process I just cannot shake off. Namely, illegal immigration's consequences are *irreversible*.

Mostly Latin American and mostly low skilled migrants bring a certain culture to America and I am convinced that that culture hurts America on all levels. I will not go into what exactly that culture is except to say that most of Latin America is in the state that it is in because of it. And that culture is here to stay and to grow by being passed on through illegals' children. It *cannot be undone". You just cannot pass a law that will change the attitudes of tens of milions.

Issues that I disagree with GOP on, though, are more fluid, though. A Republican Congress may cut taxes and social programs. Yes, that infuriates me, but nothing prevents the next Congress from raising the taxes and supporting those social programs again. With religion too, laws on reproductive freedom or religious schools, can be written and then scrapped. It is only the Environment, damage to which is irreversable.

So Environmental degradation vs erosion of American cultural foundations through uncontrolled influx of poor and unskilled migrants is what it ultimately comes down to. Given that we are less then 5% of Earth's population, I really don't think we are the deciding factor on what happens to our planet. And with run of the mill pollution, there is also some reversibility: just think Hudson river or LA smog now vs in 1970's.

So, fellow Liberals, I am tempted to throw in the towel on National politics altogether. I am tempted to say BOTH PARTIES SUCK EQUALLY and just mind my own business. Yes, on that one issue alone. Can you find holes in my thinking? Can you tell me why it is still worth riding the Demicratic vagon?

Your just now figuring this out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 11:04 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Your just now figuring this out?
Most elections come down to who sucks less. Hillary lost for the 2nd time. Poor girl.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:07 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Most elections come down to who sucks less. Hillary lost for the 2nd time. Poor girl.
Voting this way is why we’re in the mess we are now.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:34 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Democrats have been running the city of Detroit since 1962. How has that worked out?

Old 05-06-2018, 03:14 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Democrats have been running the city of Detroit since 1962. How has that worked out?
They're also running New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Austin, etc who are all doing quite well.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:39 PM

11,770 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
So I am a Democrat. I am such for three reasons: economic fairness, environment and freedom from religion. The positions on those three held by the GOP make it completely unpalatable to me.

Now I have always strongly disagreed with the Democrats on one issue: illiegal immigration. I really do think that anyone here illegally, with some humanitarian exceptions (most notably the "Dreamers") has no right whatsoever to be in this country and should be deported. I also think that birthright citizenship is a terrible idea. I wholeheartedly agree with the "no borders/no country" sentiment.

Up until now I have supported Democrats in different ways by saying to myself: "I must bite the bullet because promoting one cause I disagree with and three causes I do agree with is a reasonable tradeoff".

Yet recently I arrived at a new thought process I just cannot shake off. Namely, illegal immigration's consequences are *irreversible*.

Mostly Latin American and mostly low skilled migrants bring a certain culture to America and I am convinced that that culture hurts America on all levels. I will not go into what exactly that culture is except to say that most of Latin America is in the state that it is in because of it. And that culture is here to stay and to grow by being passed on through illegals' children. It *cannot be undone". You just cannot pass a law that will change the attitudes of tens of milions.

Issues that I disagree with GOP on, though, are more fluid, though. A Republican Congress may cut taxes and social programs. Yes, that infuriates me, but nothing prevents the next Congress from raising the taxes and supporting those social programs again. With religion too, laws on reproductive freedom or religious schools, can be written and then scrapped. It is only the Environment, damage to which is irreversable.

So Environmental degradation vs erosion of American cultural foundations through uncontrolled influx of poor and unskilled migrants is what it ultimately comes down to. Given that we are less then 5% of Earth's population, I really don't think we are the deciding factor on what happens to our planet. And with run of the mill pollution, there is also some reversibility: just think Hudson river or LA smog now vs in 1970's.

So, fellow Liberals, I am tempted to throw in the towel on National politics altogether. I am tempted to say both parties suck equally and just mind my own business. Yes, on that one issue alone. Can you find holes in my thinking? Can you tell me why it is still worth riding the Demicratic vagon?
OP - as others have said vote for who you believe is the person who you feels has your best interests at heart. You being a Democrat is in name only - so you can vote. Become an independent if you want. Just because I'm registered as a Democrat does not mean I follow them lock, stock and barrel and I don't. There has been such a disconnect with what I believe and what the Democratic party wants all it's members to stand behind. I enter the polling booth and vote for the person I feel is best for the job and who pretty much aligns with my beliefs. I don't look at the D or R.

You are an individual and no group should make you feel you have to vote for them just because you are registered as such. As we age - our beliefs change due to life experiences - you are an adult that can make their own decision - no party should make them for you.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:18 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
They're also running New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Austin, etc who are all doing quite well.
New York: Cleaned up by a Republican and an Independent
San Francisco: Sanctuary city where homelessness and crime are rampant. Violent crime 60% higher than the rest of California.
Seattle: Getting ready to lose the biggest employer they've ever seen because they want to punish success with taxes.
Boston: Crime rate 96% higher than the rest of Massachusetts.
Austin: You can have this one, it's not in too bad of shape yet.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:38 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
You could say the same about Democrats.
No, you can't. If you look at the level of hypocrisy, of violent rhetoric, of the way they are called out by the traditional press - they're not at all the same. Any decent Republican is ashamed of what's happening - and some have been forthright enough to say so.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:13 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
How is Detroit doing?

Old 05-06-2018, 05:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
New York: Cleaned up by a Republican and an Independent

Seattle: Getting ready to lose the biggest employer they've ever seen because they want to punish success with taxes.
Seattle also has a horrific homeless problem. The head tax that has Amazon bent out of shape is supposed to raise money to fight homelessness.

The numbers say that crime is not up, but I find it hard to believe. I almost never visit Seattle anymore, because I don't want my vehicle being broken into. I think a lot of crime is not reported, because SPD is worthless. A reporter told about how his daughter's phone was stolen, and they tracked it to a silver mini van via the 'find my iphone' ap. SPD refused to respond.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...owth-industry/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies