Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 02:47 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post

Girl Scouts doesn't offer anything even coming close to what the BSA has to offer. The people who have been witness to both programs can attest to that fact.
The obvious solution is to offer some of the same programs to Girl Scouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 02:49 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Do I really have to? Are you so inexperienced in life that you can distinguish how an 11 year old boy might act that is different from an 11 year old girl or any teen/pre-group for that matter.
Yes, I really have no idea what people mean when they say this. Clearly people have specifics in mind when they say it so why won't you just tell me what you mean instead of doing the dance?

Please give me some examples of "boys being boys".

Old 05-02-2018, 02:51 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
The sad part about this is that the reasons given for this is that Girl Scouts was boring, and they don't do the cool stuff Boy Scouts do. So rather than the Girl Scouts changing and doing the cool stuff themselves, it was decided that the girls would invade the Boy Scouts instead. And now, what is inevitable next is that when the girls cant do some things the boys can, or they don't want to, or they are scared or fearful, the boys will be forced to stop, because if the girls are excluded either by their physical limitations or their fears then it just isn't fair .

In the end this will ruin the former Boy Scouts for the boys, and another group designed around boys being boys will emerge to take up the slack.

Dan Beard would be rolling over in his grave.Maybe someone will restart the Sons of Daniel Boone .
Not like that at all. The BSA CHOSE to allow girls in because their enrollment has been dropping over the last 25 years. Councils have been forced to merge and sell off long-in-operation Scout camps, like Camp Russell and Cedarlands in the Adirondacks, and Boyhaven in West Milton, NY, a camp that went into operation back in the 1920's as one of the FIRST BSA camps in the country, a base camp for Schenectady County Council (my family's original BSA Council), that was folded into Twin Rivers Council, a council that covers most of the eastern part of upstate NY, back in the 1990's. My oldest brother and father live 150 miles apart yet they belong to the same council.

Stick to what you know. I have been watching what's been going on in the BSA ever since my brothers first joined up back in the 1970's as Cub Scouts, and my dad became an ASM back in 1978. My father and oldest brother are still active members, as is my oldest nephew.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 05-02-2018 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 03:21 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Yes, I really have no idea what people mean when they say this. Clearly people have specifics in mind when they say it so why won't you just tell me what you mean instead of doing the dance?

Please give me some examples of "boys being boys".
Lets see, burping when they eat, laughing at farts, scratching themselves, skinny dipping as a group, realizing others don't look the same as them, developing hair, learning what it means to be a man, and basically anything that a girl might view as gross, yuck, how could you, that's nasty.

They need to be able to express themselves without being corrected for everything they say and do.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:49 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Can you explain what it means to "act like a boy"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Do I really have to? Are you so inexperienced in life that you can distinguish how an 11 year old boy might act that is different from an 11 year old girl or any teen/pre-group for that matter.
here let me do it

not acting like a girl.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:02 PM

For everybody hand-wringing over this, I just saw a post on Facebook put out by the Mohawk District of Twin Rivers Council, stating the both the Cub Scout dens and Scout troops are going to be UNISEX, so you all can shut up about how this is going to adversely affect the "male bonding" aspect of Scouting.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:05 PM

Like I said, people can shut up now and quit your whining.
Attached Thumbnails
Boy Scouts Name Change - Dropping "Boy" To Reflect Arrival of Girls-fb_img_1525298583829.jpg  

Old 05-02-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I agree.

I went to an all boys HS for 3 years, and got much more of an education than had I been in a co-ed HS those years.
There are plenty of unintended consequences to this gender neutral PC rubbish, but the liberals/progressives are actively attempting to make it happen in every facet of life. They are pushing the agenda trying to appease 0.5% of the population and wants to reinvent the wheel for all of society to accomplish it.
Funny though how they are not after the Girl Scouts to go gender neutral or the like. For that matter, I am not even sure why they are allowing girls to join the Boy Scouts in the first place. Why have the Girl Scouts if the girls are allowed to join the boys

Liberals/leftists are malcontents by their very nature, and want to tear down traditional society whenever possible.

`
I am a pretty right wing kind of guy and really am absolutely firmly of the opinion that girls and boys arne not the same things. LOL> I agree that PROGS are pretty much ruining everything they possibly can.

THIS is not one of those things. this isn't about appeasement. this is about BSA losing membership and their leaders at the grass roots level have been lobbying for this for years.

BSA is opening the Boy Scout and Cub Scout program to girls. that's it. Troops will remain single gender. Cub Scout packs (elementary school age) will have both genders in the pack but single gender dens.

at the CS level that's not an issue because each child is accompanied by adult partners pretty much at all times.

at the Boy Scout level again no issue as entire troops are single gender.

AND BSA has had girls involved in other programs (co-ed Venturing program that includes camping) since 1971... This is older kids age 14 to 21.

It aint new.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:16 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Why can't boys, and men have their own institutions? Boys act differently around girls, and often need a place to just be boys, and have male role models without the involvement of women. I find this entire trend in society disturbing. I am glad I was able to experience scouting before this PC gender crap came into vogue.
Didn't you hear Pilot. Institutions like the Boy Scouts are the breeding grounds for "toxic masculinity". We must stop these boys masculine development at an early age, in order to ensure that they will never achieve toxic testosterone levels.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
For everybody hand-wringing over this, I just saw a post on Facebook put out by the Mohawk District of Twin Rivers Council, stating the both the Cub Scout dens and Scout troops are going to be UNISEX, so you all can shut up about how this is going to adversely affect the "male bonding" aspect of Scouting.
this is correct.

AND BSA has other programs that have been co-ed that include 14 year olds and older where there is camping. These programs have been in place since 1971.

all BSA did was open 2 programs to girls that had previously been closed to girls. Those programs will remain single gender at the base level.

for Cub Scouts that is the den. this is kids of the same grade in elementary school. It should also be noted, that in most settings each Cub Scout is accompanied by their own adult partner.

for Boy Scouts, the entire troop will remain single gender. you will not have a troop of scouts going camping that are co-ed. period.

PS BSA has a very active and vital group of leaders at the troop level that are female. that's been the case for a very very very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies