Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 06:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Depends on which fellow Americans you are speaking about. As an American consumer of hay and livestock grain Ive seen my prices soar when commerical farmers would rather sell their product to the Chinese instead of to fellow Americans for a reasonable price. Do I feel sympathy for the farmer? Nope, nada. Im tired of being ripped off by the capitalistic system and by the Chinese.
And, I bet you're not buying any of Trump's Chinese made clothing either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 07:52 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Tensions between the US and China increased on Friday as it emerged US officials had handed Beijing a list of demands including a $200bn cut in its trade deficit and an end to state subsidies on strategic industries.
Quote:
The US’s trade and services deficit with China was $337bn last year, according to US data, and the Trump administration is pushing for a $200bn cut in that deficit by 2020. Such a cut would double Donald Trump’s previous calls for a $100bn cut.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...de-deficit-cut

Old 05-04-2018, 08:09 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I read an article recently in the New York Times by Thomas Friedman. He often covers foreign policy issues and has wrote several articles on the subject. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/01/o...ype=collection

Basically, my take is that Friedman thinks Trump is doing the right thing about confronting China. From the article:

"Five days of meetings in Beijing with Chinese, U.S. and European government officials and business leaders made it crystal clear to me that what’s going on right now is nothing less than a struggle to redefine the rules governing the economic and power relations of the world’s oldest and newest superpowers — America and China. This is not a trade tiff.
“This is a defining moment for U.S.-China relations,” said Ruan Zongze, executive vice president of the Chinese Foreign Ministry’s research institute. “This is about a lot more than trade and tariffs. This is about the future.”
In one corner stand President Trump and his team of China trade hard-liners, whose instinct is basically right: This is a fight worth having now, before it is too late, before China gets too big
".

Highlight is mine.

This is my opinion as well. If this if China behaves now, with a huge trade surplus with us and they are deliberately playing with in the internal politics in the United States by strategic targeting, it is only going to get worse in the future as their economy and military grow. They are united in a way that the United States and most other countries are not.
good post.
china is also bullying Australia pretty hard these days.

Quote:
https://thediplomat.com/2018/02/are-...reaking-point/
In December, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull cited “disturbing reports about Chinese influence” in introducing legislation that would ban foreign political donations. Turnbull said foreign powers were making “unprecedented and increasingly sophisticated attempts to influence the political process.”

In response, over the past few months, Chinese officials have urged Australia to “abandon its prejudice towards China and perceive China and the China-Australia relationship objectively.” The Chinese ambassador to Australia called the claims made in the ABC/Fairfax report “groundless” and “an attempt to whip up a “China panic,” while China’s Foreign Ministry said the reports were “unfounded and extremely irresponsible.” In other statements, the Chinese Foreign Ministry lodged an official complaint expressing shock at Turnbull’s concern over Chinese influence, saying he had “poisoned the atmosphere of China-Australia relations” and deeming reports from the Australian media “irresponsible,” “without principle,” and “full of bias against China.”

Old 05-04-2018, 09:15 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Dirt IS a funny thing. There are some reasons why soybeans are rotated in. But more importantly? A LOT of farms are working on the edge. The loss of this years income can be devastating. Especially if its already planted. Plus once they buy from elsewhere, they may never return.

Now is it a complete loss? Absolutely not. But with the profit margin of farms its bad enough. This will be great for the huge agro businesses as they will be able to buy up farms that fail. Its great to be rich.
A lot of farms "have been on the edge" for years. My father farmed for over 50 years.........his father before him..........some years they barely made ends meet............

Old 05-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Soybean is a really hard bean, almost no use other than making tofu.

$16 billion per year revenue is big. If every $100k is one job creation, then that’s 160,000 jobs creation, or destruction.
Only TOFU???

read and learn...........
https://worldagnetwork.com/soybean-c...ise-worldwide/

Old 05-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So it’s okay if a bunch of Americans lose their livelihood as long as *we* stick it to China, is that what you are saying?

It’s really fascinating to me how several people posting cannot muster even the slightest bit of sympathy for their fellow Americans even when it’s the topic of the thread.
They are set in their agenda, they have to spout it no matter what.
Says a lot.
I doubt if very many will "lose their livelihood"...........may have to plant other crops for a while...........

Old 05-04-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Depends on which fellow Americans you are speaking about. As an American consumer of hay and livestock grain Ive seen my prices soar when commerical farmers would rather sell their product to the Chinese instead of to fellow Americans for a reasonable price. Do I feel sympathy for the farmer? Nope, nada. Im tired of being ripped off by the capitalistic system and by the Chinese.
This is a good point. with a farm background from coming from two generations of farmers..... they are like any business,you adapt to producing what makes you the most money. If the soybean market takes a dump..... you might switch to more corn and maybe wheat or oats. Put more acreage into pasture or hay ground...........I remember back in the 50's and 60's hardly anyone grew many soybeans........

Old 05-04-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And, I bet you're not buying any of Trump's Chinese made clothing either.
I try not to buy any chinese products. its hard but I have noticed a lot more clothing made in Vietnam........
I refuse to buy apple juice from China also........

Last edited by jeffdoorgunner; 05-04-2018 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-04-2018, 09:47 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
The trade deficit with China just got $16 billion worse now that China isn't buying $16 billion of soybeans from the USA.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
good post.
china is also bullying Australia pretty hard these days.
they are not the only ones........few people remember that in 1979 {5 short years after being allies} China went to war with Vietnam to try and annex some of their territory. My wife is from the Philippines and she says the Chinese have been basically buying up the whole country. Most of the large Drug cartels in the Philippines are also Chinese............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies