Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:56 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Trumplings would be salivating if he were smart enough to figure out a targeted approach like this. Why shouldn't they target the people who voted for someone trying to damage their economy? The Chinese are entitled to put themselves first just like Trump voters (mistakenly) believed they were supporting someone who was going to put them first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Not sure when we've ever seen a country choose to boycott a specific product based on the votes of its source. Because U.S. grown soybeans are grown by typically Trump-supporting farmers, China just canceled over 60,000 tons.

China "very deliberately" not buying U.S. soybeans amid trade war

"...soybeans are "almost exclusively produced by farmers in the GOP's rural base who voted overwhelmingly for President Trump in the 2016 election"

https://www.axios.com/china-not-buyi...aab9fc1a6.html

China canceled a net 62,690 metric tons of U.S. soybean purchases in the two weeks ended April 19, the Bloomberg article pointed out, citing USDA data for the current marketing year.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/02/it-a...ade-fight.html
I realize that it looks like China is 'targeting' Red States, but I doubt that is the case.

China buys enormous amounts of agricultural products from the USA, and that leaves agricultural regions particularly vulnerable to retaliation. I remember Trump trying to get China to buy our coal (probably would not be competitive anyway, but that's a non-starter for sure now).

My state is predominately blue at present, but the very largest crops are soybeans and corn, largely because of exports. China buys enormous quantities of both, so any move on agricultural products hurts my state as well.

I believe China buys a lot of timber from North America too.

BTW, Mexico has been sourcing away from the USA as well, forging new strong trade ties elsewhere.

China picked one product to start with, because they could replace it easily with our competitors (who have abundant surpluses). I don't believe China 'targeted' Trump supporters, it was more of a matter of the white house (basically Trump, ignoring advice) neglecting to realize that many of Trump's most loyal supporters could be so vulnerable.

The good news for the rest of us is food prices could be coming down (if we still have incomes to buy anything with).

Old 05-04-2018, 11:37 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You don’t appear aware of the consequences of his actions.

Farmers are Americans too
Well, according to Trump ~ they won't mind taking one for the team.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:49 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I realize that it looks like China is 'targeting' Red States, but I doubt that is the case.
China has stated its true...why do you not believe them? They're following the same stated intent by other countries dealing with the steel and aluminum tariffs.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:52 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
good. let them do without any soy sauce.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:09 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
My god, you don't even recognize when he's fighting for the American people do you? Or is it that you don't want the American people to do well under Trump?
You have a lot of people that if they were on board a plane, and the pilot had a heart attack the only other person left to fly the plane was Donald Trump, they would rather the plane crash then let him do what is right for everybody on the plane.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:24 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
good. let them do without any soy sauce.
They are still buying soybeans, so they'll still have soy sauce.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:27 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Doesn't look bad at all

Soybeans PRICE Today | Price of Soybeans and Chart | Markets Insider

Old 05-04-2018, 03:53 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
that will make LWNJs very sad.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:24 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
By May, many soybean farmers have already bought their seed, made their plans. Many fields have already been planted.

Do they scrap everything? Do they go ahead and hope Trump, the Great Negotiator will get this straightened out?

What happens to soybeans if there is a glut on the market? Or if there is no market at all for half their soybeans?
Maybe they rethink voting for Trump again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies