Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 01:56 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
In this Manafort case the judge isn't limiting the prosecutors authority.
He is questioning it to decide if the case is before the proper court. The prosecutors are making the claim they are before the proper court and claims of their authority to bring their case against the defendant in that court.

The judge is rightfully asking to see the document that the prosecutors claim their authority comes from. Its the judges duty to determine if the claim is real or are the prosecutors making a false claim.

The prosecutors are telling the judge their authority is secret. The judge it telling the prosecutors his court is not a secret court and he is the judge with duty to make the determination, not them. Show me the document of your authority.

So Ken Starr comes up again. Lets see if we can understand that an apple is really different from an orange.

Ken Starr was "independent counsel". Google it

Mueller is "special counsel". Google it.

Starr's investigation was conducted through the Office of Independent Counsel, which no longer exists, since the law establishing it expired in 1999. New laws and new rules so an apple is really not an orange. That's the rule recognized or not.

I'm amazed that the depth of understanding is so shallow on the simple issue of jurisdiction being discussed in this thread. I realize its wrong to think that the constitution and the system that grew out of it is simple.

So here is a link that shows where the authority comes from and geography is important, for those that who don't understand and aren't to lazy to learn. Why geography ?

If you show up in the wrong court expecting it to hear your case you will be disappointed and waste a lot of time and money. The reason Judges first question authority is to determine if the case is in the proper court.
Why determine if the case is before the proper court ? The judge and the court, in most cases, can't properly hear a case that is out of their jurisdiction or geography boundaries. Its the order part in "law and order".
The Justice Dept. is abusing law and order IMP and the opinion of many others including members of congress.

The Hierarchy of Authority - Basic Legal Research - LibGuides at Florida A&M University Libraries

Yes of course the judge hasn't attempted to limit Mueller's investigation, just asking the question at this point but he is requesting the additional direction provided to Mueller in a live investigation. I don't see how Manafort's connection to Ukraine and Russia would not be part of this investigation. Mueller has already tossed Cohen to another court as I would expect for this if he comes across information not directly related to his investigation.

Starr was initially directed to investigate White Water and Vince Foster's death, 4 years later he concluded the investigation with several indictments and convictions that had nothing to do directly with White Water. Mueller was assigned to investigate a foreign power steering our election process and if he comes across something unrelated he can steer it to another jurisdiction.

The Special Counsel is clearly operates under the control of Rosenstein, not the courts. There is no proof that he has exceeded his authority at this point, the judge can always question the scope. Beyond that its up the Attorney General which in this case defaults to Rosenstein. Its a question that should be asked to raise the issue to the front, beyond that...

I do find it funny that people are claiming this investigation is taking to long with all its complications with Russia, Ukraine, foreign banks while White Water took 4 years alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
As I understand it, the judge asked why Cohen's case was transferred to SDNY jurisdiction but Manafort's was not.

Team Mueller may be looking into Manafort's Ukrainian and Russian connections that go back a ways.

We'll see.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:00 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is a lie.

Do you just pull this bogus nonsense out of thin air? Do you read them somewhere? Where do you get this BS?

Paula Jones absolutely was not part of the original case. It wasn't pulled into until more than three years that her case was pulled in.

Look at the following timeline.

The investigation started in 1994. It was specific to Whitewater.

It wasn't until three years later that the Paula Jones harassment case could even proceed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/19...18/clinton.usa

"January 1994
Attorney General Janet Reno appoints Robert Fiske Jr. as the independent counsel in charge of investigating financial irregularities in the dealings of the Whitewater property company. The Clintons, and their business partners, James and Susan McDougal, are implicated."

"August 1994
Fiske is replaced by the more conservative Kenneth Starr as the independent counsel investigating the Whitewater scandal."

"February 1997
Kenneth Starr, the Independent Counsel investigating the Whitewater scandal, announces he will step down from the investigation. He then changes his mind and continues his investigations."

"May 1997
According to the Starr report released in September 1998, President Clinton tells Ms Lewinsky the affair is at an end. Just days later the Supreme Court reject Mr Clinton's claim that as President he should have immunity from civil cases. This ruling allows the Paula Jones harassment case to proceed against him."

who was Paula jones......Paula Corbin Jones, a former employee of the Arkansas Industrial Development Commission (related to the white water investigation as the commission was SUPPOSED to be the watch dog for illegal real estate and development deals)

The investigations were an inquiry by an independent U.S. counsel into the propriety of real-estate transactions involving Clinton and his wife and looked into the connected allegations of illicit sexual encounters with Clinton

The Whitewater controversy quickened when Vincent W. Foster Jr., a close friend of the Clintons from Little Rock and a deputy White House counsel, was found dead of a gunshot wound to the head in Fort Marcy Park, a Civil War park maintained by the National Park Service just outside the District of Columbia.

Reno appointed Robert B. Fiske Jr., a Republican and a former U.S. attorney in New York. He was given broad authority to investigate Whitewater and any related activity.

fact is bill Clinton is a crook, and a serial rapist

Old 05-06-2018, 02:05 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
The judge acted improperly. More trump trickle down.
In what way?

Old 05-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Mueller is pushing a justice, law and order agenda.

If that's leftist, then so be it.
may be how it started... but Mueller, Comey, McCabe have ALL proved to be crooked cops on the take

Old 05-06-2018, 02:09 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Mueller has been pushing the leftist agenda

yes Mueller served honorably in nam...

trump dodged a draft??? nope he got educational deferrals, then was declared 4f BY THE MILITARY.......yet Clinton actually dodged the draft

your biased-blinders are showing
I'll admit I'm biased. Can't stand Trump. But facts are stubborn things. And Trump was never diagnosed by any army doctors that he had any medical condition that would disqualify him from serving in the military. He had a civilian doctor (whose name he conveniently forgot) send a letter to the draft board stating that Trump had a medical condition, bone spurs--or more specifically heel spurs--(The horror! The horror!), that prevented him from being able to serve. And that is all it took for Trump to get a medical deferment. And I'll say it again--draft dodging Trump.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'll admit I'm biased. Can't stand Trump. But facts are stubborn things. And Trump was never diagnosed by any army doctors that he had any medical condition that would disqualify him from serving in the military. He had a civilian doctor (whose name he conveniently forgot) send a letter to the draft board stating that Trump had a medical condition, bone spurs--or more specifically heel spurs--(The horror! The horror!), that prevented him from being able to serve. And that is all it took for Trump to get a medical deferment. And I'll say it again--draft dodging Trump.
I don't like trump...

but facts are facts.... four 2-S educational deferment, followed by a 1-Y, (allowable in with waiver only for emergencies)....followed by a 4f rating BY THE MILITARY

but the MILITARY MEDICAL BOARD declared him 4f....

the military determined that........during an armed forces physical, BY MILITARY DOCTORS, .not a civilian doctor........the military makes the final determination......

I don't like his style, or his boorish ways... but being a retired veteran, I will not continue the lie that the left has pushed, that he was a draft dodger...legal deferments is not draft dodging, and a medically disqualified 4f, is also not draft dodging

Old 05-06-2018, 02:31 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
As I understand it, the judge asked why Cohen's case was transferred to SDNY jurisdiction but Manafort's was not.

Team Mueller may be looking into Manafort's Ukrainian and Russian connections that go back a ways.

We'll see.
Does Mueller's team have authority to investigate anything to do with the Ukraine ? Only Russian involvement has ever been mentioned in the original Rosenstein authority. Maybe they add Iceland too if they feel like it.
They are different countries. I'm sure we can agree on that.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:54 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the military determined that........during an armed forces physical, BY MILITARY DOCTORS, .not a civilian doctor........the military makes the final determination......
No, that's wrong. The military granted him his solely on a letter from his personal doctor.

"In an interview with The New York Times last month, Mr. Trump said the bone spurs had been “temporary” — a “minor” malady that had not had a meaningful impact on him. He said he had visited a doctor who provided him a letter for draft officials, who granted him the medical exemption. He could not remember the doctor’s name."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/u...cord.html?_r=0

Old 05-06-2018, 02:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes of course the judge hasn't attempted to limit Mueller's investigation, just asking the question at this point but he is requesting the additional direction provided to Mueller in a live investigation. I don't see how Manafort's connection to Ukraine and Russia would not be part of this investigation. Mueller has already tossed Cohen to another court as I would expect for this if he comes across information not directly related to his investigation.
perhaps because those connections only existed BEFORE the campaign, and were not part of the campaign, which mueller was directed to focus on possible russian collusion and russian interference during the campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies