Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 06:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Unemployment is at 3.9%. Anyone who wants a job can get one. No reason to kick these people out and essentially issue them a death sentence except to continue the culture war in this country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Not really. We let them come, and we let them stay. It’s understandable after so many years they’ve put down roots. To make them leave now is kind of cruel. If they’ve committed crimes, let them go. If they’ve started businesses and got jobs and had kids live here so long they literally grew up here, then let them stay. Just make sure the next time we honor our agreement that it’s temporary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
I’m all for curbing illegal immigration but this move is dumb. We’ve allowed them to legally remain here for 20 years, we may as well grant them a path to citizenship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's bad for the people getting screwed and it's bad for the US too. So much of our modern economy is driven by immigrants yet Trump and his supporters are determined to make the US as hostile as possible to immigrants.

Those jobs and companies will just go to Canada or Europe or China instead.

Tell me, after the Mexicans and Hondurans have been deported and the tech jobs have shifted to other countries, who are the lazy and uneducated going to blame when their lives still suck?
And it is posts like these why the US should never, ever do something kind for others like this temporary status. All that will happen is a bunch of people will start whining and crying when this temporary status ends, and come up with every excuse there is as to why they should stay.

No good deed goes unpunished as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 06:13 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
I’m all for curbing illegal immigration but this move is dumb. We’ve allowed them to legally remain here for 20 years, we may as well grant them a path to citizenship.
Or permanent resident status. I’d prefer that.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:21 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
And it is posts like these why the US should never, ever do something kind for others like this temporary status. All that will happen is a bunch of people will start whining and crying when this temporary status ends, and come up with every excuse there is as to why they should stay.

Hey, temporary ended 18 years ago. They’ve been here a generation! It’s not like these people were going to remind the government they were supposed to leave. That was on the government, and they failed to do their job.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:25 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
as so many have said, the Hondurans who came here temporarily after the hurricane have had 19 years to make plans. why is this announcement by trump a surprise to them or anyone else?

Old 05-05-2018, 06:33 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

The only reason I’m advocating that they be allowed to stay is that we’ve let them remain here for 20 years. If if hadn’t been so long, and their country was back in order I have no problem with sending them back.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:34 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Or permanent resident status. I’d prefer that.
Agreed, actually that’s a better option.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:34 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
So, the con man takes a program that HAD been expired, but recently re-extended by six months and makes a new eighteen month extension while proclaiming "Hondurans Must Leave!" and you fools gobble it up like manna from heaven. What a bunch of rubes! I wonder what might happen in the next 18 months?

https://cliniclegal.org/resources/te...tatus-honduras

"The current 6-month grant of Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, for nearly 60,000 Hondurans will expire on July 5, 2018 unless extended by the secretary of Homeland Security.[1] By statute, the DHS Secretary must decide whether to extend, terminate or redesignate TPS for Honduras by May 4, 2018."

Old 05-05-2018, 06:35 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's bad for the people getting screwed and it's bad for the US too. So much of our modern economy is driven by immigrants yet Trump and his supporters are determined to make the US as hostile as possible to immigrants.

Those jobs and companies will just go to Canada or Europe or China instead.

Tell me, after the Mexicans and Hondurans have been deported and the tech jobs have shifted to other countries, who are the lazy and uneducated going to blame when their lives still suck?

Oh stop with this lazy American BS! Illegal immigration is against the law and there are no jobs that Americans won't do for a fair wage.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:42 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I read it very carefully and could only deduce from your offering that it was an attempt to prove the U.S. is doing more than it's share or being asked to accept an unfair burden.

The fact that a per-capita comparison more accurately reflects what burden or effort is being accepted or made on their behalf seems lost on some.

Are you seriously suggesting that the U.S. has 20% of the world's entire population not born in the U.S. ("foreign born") living in the U.S. ..........WTF????? That would be roughly 1 billion, 457 million, 200 thousand people you're sharing your Starbucks with. Surely you meant 20% of those who migrate or immigrants per-se......er.......didn't you?
Did you seriously think that is what I meant?

Of course I meant 20% of those who migrate. I didn’t think it would have been interpreted any other way. Especially in light of the link I posted earlier in support of the numbers I posted.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:50 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Well done Mr. President.

Trump administration to send 57,000 Hondurans in the United States home - Sun Sentinel

People have been taking advantage of our lax immigration laws for decades.
They really should have made them leave sooner! I read the other day about one who said that she would REFUSE to leave! The government needs to seize all of their assets via IRS if they refuse just like they would do to a regular citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies