Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 08:05 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That really is the bottom line. Let's face it, if businesses were left to their own devices, they would pay their employees as little as possible and treat them like slaves. These regulations keep them in line, and if they are not able to survive, they shouldn't be in business in the first place.
Not true . Also thankfully we don’t have slavery anymore so nobody is forced to do a job for “Slave wages”

Who is going to work for $1 an hour anywhere in America? Even illegal aliens working for shady employers that might not be paying minimum wage are getting paid more than that .

Businesses actually want to mostly treat their employees decent so that they stay . Rehiring and retraining is a pain . Like the business owner that wrote the article I posted explaining why such a big jump affects him and his employees. He mentioned he pays them more so they don’t jump to another shop .

Oh ok they shouldn’t be in business in the first place . So just have a bunch of empty storefronts ?
Or only allow tech companies to open in town ?

Think that is going to be good for the average person that doesn’t have a computer science degree ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 08:10 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,897 times
Don't worry guys. The democrats will let any failing restaurants vacate their leases. And the landlords can then vacate their mortgages. And the banks can apply for federal subsidies to make up for it. Democratic policies always end up working out for everybody!

Old 05-05-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Let's see, one the less you earn, the less commuting makes sense, as it eats up a higher percentage of your income the less that income is. So it makes the most financial sense for lower earners to be able to live as close to their jobs as possible. If you earn $300/week at a job, but have to spend $100/week in gas to get to it, doesn't make much sense.

Two, people in the expensive cities still have demand for the products that these businesses are selling. If all the restaurant workers, grocery workers etc left for cheaper states and people in the expensive places could no longer get food, then what?
Have you seen apartment prices in Manhattan recently ?

Even studio apartments are going for over $2500 . So you think that a Manhattan restaurant should only open .. or continue to exist if they can afford to pay workers enough to live locally ?

https://www.apartments.com/manhattan-ny/

The thing is they aren’t all going to leave . Because they haven’t left at least en masse .

Old 05-05-2018, 08:18 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Do you want to pay $15 for a Big Mac?

I guess if you had asked me, back in 1968 when I was 13 years old and paying 49 cents for a Big Mac, if I would want to pay $4.50 for that same sandwich, I would have shaken my head.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:19 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
I wouldnt have a problem paying more when I go out to eat, as long as I knew the employees were making a wage they could actually live on, it would not bother me one bit.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:21 AM

Restaurants are cutting hours and eliminating bus boy jobs .
Aren’t bus boys usually those immigrants that Democrats claim to want to help .

And the people that still have a job getting hours cut ...so total they probably aren’t making as much .

Good job liberals !

Oh also apparently all the Papa Johns Pizza shops in Rochester closed .

Bravo !

Great social experiment !
—-
"When I get plenty of hours, it's good. When I don’t, I live,” Valentine said.

James is one of the 2 million New Yorkers earning the minimum wage who got a raise at the end of last year. But as the salaries go up, there are concerns across New York about the impact the higher wages are having on businesses.

Some restaurants, for example, said they have cut staff or eliminated positions, such as busboys. Others are moving more toward automation and hiring fewer workers, said Kevin Dugan, the government affairs director for the state Restaurant Association.

Dugan pointed to the recent closure of all Papa John's franchises in Rochester as an example.

“They cited increased economic pressure from the state of New York as one of the reasons why," Dugan said.

“Unfortunately, we're going to see that continuing to happen, where if not closing all together, then going to those tough decisions that may cost people jobs. That’s unfortunately the reality of the situation in New York.”

—-
https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ses/521919002/

Old 05-05-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I wouldnt have a problem paying more when I go out to eat, as long as I knew the employees were making a wage they could actually live on, it would not bother me one bit.
Live on , where ?

In NYC ? As I said Manhattan studio apartments go for about $2500 a month . So should the restaurant have to pay like $50 hour or whatever it might cost to afford that ?

Old 05-05-2018, 08:26 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Seems one would have to be crazy to run a business in a liberal city .
Many cities in America are welcoming to businesses unlike cities like NYC , San Francisco , L.A etc with these crazy minimum wage laws .

NYC restaurants are not happy with the big minimum wage hike government has forced on them .

Now they are begging to be allowed to add a surcharge of 5 % to each bill .

They make a good point about these politicians that have never run a business .

——

New York City restaurants are proposing a surcharge for all diners to cover the rising cost of wages.

A group of more than 100 owners are pushing for lawmakers to let them add an extra 5% to weather next year’s hike in the minimum wage to $15 as well as the rising cost of food and rent.

“We’re seeing restaurants go out of business,” Apple-Metro CEO Zane Tankel said Tuesday during an interview on FOX Business’ “Evening Edit.”

Tankel argues that the minimum-wage hike will destroy jobs and force restaurants to raise menu prices.

“Our mayor has never run a business in his life,” he said. “Our governor has never run a business in his life,” he added, referring to Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...on-restaurants
Any business that doesn't pay a living wage for a 40-hour week deserves to go out of business.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Any business that doesn't pay a living wage for a 40-hour week deserves to go out of business.
Oh ok . So what is living wage for Manhattan . Studio apartments look to go for $2500 or more .
What wage do you think they’d have to pay so the worker could afford to live in that . Plus pay for all other living expenses including food etc ?

$15 hr even working full time obviously isn’t the number .. so what is the number ? $40 hr ?

Old 05-05-2018, 08:40 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Oh ok . So what is living wage for Manhattan . Studio apartments look to go for $2500 or more .
What wage do you think they’d have to pay so the worker could afford to live in that . Plus pay for all other living expenses including food etc ?

$15 hr even working full time obviously isn’t the number .. so what is the number ? $40 hr ?
Do they have to be able to walk only 1 block to get to their job?

Whats the price for a home, 40 minutes with public transit? I do agree with you that minimum wages should be adjusted to the GDP per capita instead of being allowed to erode over time in order to cause poverty, desperation and social problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies