Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 06:30 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times

Advertisements

If a town/city disbands its public system, and switches all of its school to private schools, are those schools able to discriminate based on race, sex, etc even if those schools aren't considered religious establishments? What if school vouchers are considered? I've looked into Brown V Board of Education and it only states public school, and not private schools. Just curious and I'm looking into DeVos's voucher program, and the possibility of what may come out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 06:32 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Do private schools currently discriminate?

...didn’t think so.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

...didn’t think so.
I'm making up a scenario so I can better understand this. If a private school is operating without public funds and discriminates by sex, race, etc, is there any case law or anything in place that prevents them from doing so? If so, any source? What law would specify that public funding vouchers going towards private schools that discriminate as illegal activity?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:48 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

...didn’t think so.
Well you have to apply to get in and they can make up whatever reasons to let you in or not....so it is kind of hard to emphatically state there is no discrimination.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:52 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
If a town/city disbands its public system, and switches all of its school to private schools, are those schools able to discriminate based on race, sex, etc even if those schools aren't considered religious establishments? What if school vouchers are considered? I've looked into Brown V Board of Education and it only states public school, and not private schools. Just curious and I'm looking into DeVos's voucher program, and the possibility of what may come out of it.
So where are any towns/cities disbanding their public schools? That’s right, I didn’t think so.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Well you have to apply to get in and they can make up whatever reasons to let you in or not....so it is kind of hard to emphatically state there is no discrimination.
But if a town elimates all form of public education and made private schools the ability to discriminate based on race and sex, there wouldn't be anything in place that mentions what they're doing is unconstitutional unless it involves public funding via voucher system? Not sure if I'm missing anything that's why I want clarification.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So where are any towns/cities disbanding their public schools? That’s right, I didn’t think so.
Nowhere I can't think of, and I hope no community would have to. But if a town made the decision in disbanding their public school system because of funding issues, would a private school system be allowed to do the things that I've mentioned above? I'm trying to understand the limitations of what private schools are allowed to do...

Old 05-06-2018, 07:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Only think private school care about is money, pay a huge amount you can be whoever you want

Old 05-06-2018, 07:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Private schools can’t discriminate on the basis of race if they want tax-exempt status. If private schools accept federal funds, they are also bound to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color or national origin.
Same applies to schools that receive government vouchers.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:14 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Some private schools are all-boy or all-girl. I hope they would be able to stay that way if they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies