Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 01:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
IDK

There is a lack of diversity.
What is the best way to correct that ?
AA maybe, anything else ?
The left has been very concerned with diversity and correcting it. I was wondering how they might find a solution. Hopefully there is more than one solution.
Wow, that joke went flying over your head, didn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 01:28 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Wow, that joke went flying over your head, didn't it?
At least I'm vertical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5_8D8HCnS4

Old 05-08-2018, 01:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It did not take long for someone to repeat this often cited liberal dogma that liberals are either more intelligent or more educated than conservatives. What utter hogwash,
No, not hogwash. It is backed up by verifiable data.

From this article:

Analyses of large representative samples, from both the United States and the United Kingdom, confirm this prediction. In both countries, more intelligent children are more likely to grow up to be liberals than less intelligent children. For example, among the American sample, those who identify themselves as “very liberal” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 106.4, whereas those who identify themselves as “very conservative” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 94.8.

Quote:
conservatives are the people in this nation who actually create and build things.
If this were true, then why are some of the largest, most innovative and successful companies in the U.S, Liberal? Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, etc etc?

Quote:
Liberals tend to be led by emotion and wear thier hearts on thier sleeves, not exactly a sign of superior intelligence lol.
... and those using stereotypes and speculation to make a point, rather than verifiable facts, could be a sign of their inferior intelligence.

Quote:
The better question to ask is how have they pulled this off? Clearly it is a long term plot that has been wildly successful, how have they managed this?
No plot. Just statistically higher IQs.

Quote:
Clearly America from the 1940s through the 1980s was very conservative and capitalistic, a fact that must have frustrated committed leftist.
Genuine question- did you pay attention in history class in school?

1933-1945 Roosevelt Democrat
1945-1953 Truman Democrat
1953-1961 Eisenhower Republican
1961-1963 Kennedy Democrat
1963-1969 Johnson Democrat
1969-1974 Nixon Republican
1974-1977 Ford Republican
1977-1981 Carter Democrat

Therefore, between 1940 and 1980, the U.S had a Democrat as President for 24 years cumulatively, versus 16 under a Republican as a President.

I will concede that the remainder of the 1980s was under the control of a Republican President, so perhaps that is where you're getting confused?

As for being "conservative and capitalistic" from 1940 to 1980, again, no.

It was Roosevelt who originated many of the first large scale social welfare services back in the 1930s to combat the Great Depression, in addition to all of the public works projects of the era.

As for being a 'conservative' era- do you mean socially? While it could be argued that the 1940s and 1950s were comparatively socially conservative, the free love, anti war movement took hold in the 1960s.

Quote:
I would dare guess that it was during this era that liberal thinkers came up with a long term plan to change America by changing its youth. Colleges likely were considered the beat way to accomplish this feat. Somewhere, somehow this was plotted out.
Yes, a whole bunch of Liberals sat around in a secret bunker and plotted a way to make a country already moving toward liberal ideologies, even more liberal . You figured out their cunning plan!

Quote:
It is not logical that such a high percentage of professors are that liberal
It is logical from the standpoint that those who lean left have higher IQs on average than those who are very conservative. It is also logical that people with higher IQs are more likely to be attracted to higher education and subsequent careers in universities. It really is that simple.

Quote:
and it is no coincidence that college attendance has been so heavily pushed and promoted during the years in which the liberal professors took full control.
The same had occurred throughout the Western World. From the 1940s onwards, college enrollment per capita steadily increased, with particularly fast gains in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

That wasn't a liberal conspiracy. It has been a result of changing technologies, economy and attitudes. As technology advanced and more jobs became mechanized, it became less and less feasible that a person could get a job that could support a family comfortably on just a high school education. Globalization also played a role in this shift away from non skilled labor jobs with adequate wages.

Quote:
The same could be said for how the left dominates Hollywood, another means to brainwash youth. Of course artistic types have been eccentric for centuries but it really has been the last 25-30 years that they have become uber loonies.Again, possible long term plot? Was there a liberal leftist “Smoky room” where the communist, Marxist and hippie elite plotted out our world in the 60s, 70,s and 80s?

Oh yeah, absolutely. That totally happened

Do you realize how troubled you sound here?

Quote:
Somehow they succeeded in changing a capitalist conservative nation into the mess it is today in just 30 years.
No. See my posts above and start reading and researching a lot more.

Quote:
No one can deny that America in say 1987 is radically different in its values to America 2018.
I do not agree that it is radically different. Some changes between now and then have been for the better.

How do you feel it is different?

• Abortion was, and still is legal, although now, there are a lot less abortions per capita than there were in the 1980s

• The Divorce rate now is lower than it was in 1980 and 1990 and continuing to decline

• Over 70% of Americans support a solution that would allow DACA recipients to stay in the U.S and have a path to citizenship. In 1986, Ronald Reagan granted amnesty to almost 3 million illegal immigrants, while simultaneously increasing border security. Not all that different.

• Homosexuality was illegal in some states even in 1987. It is now legal, as is same sex marriage. That's a good thing.

•The amount of new reported cases per capita of HIV is about the same as 1987, and declining, following a high in the 1990s

•40% of people reported they attended church in a 1986 Gallup poll, compared to 36% in 2016 (a 4% decline, notable but not huge)

•The "war on drugs" began in the 1980s, due to increased usage. It remains a problem, but at least Marijuana is available for medicinal use in some states now, a trend likely to continue.

•Alcohol consumption is about the same now as it was in 1987

•Smoking rate is down by 8% since the 1980s and continuing to fall

•Gun control was a theme in the 1980s as well- in 1986, harsher penalties were imposed on those in possession of illegal or unregistered firearms. Bullets able to penetrate bullet proof vests were banned. The push toward schools being gun free zones started in the 1980s and penalties for violation became law in 1990.

Sure, technology was different in the 1980s, but overall it wasn't as different as you seem to think.

Quote:
Again how did these people do this if there was no plot to corrupt young adults in colleges and through Hollywood?
Do what exactly? What have they done that's personally hurt you and affected your life?

And no, again, there is no plot.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:08 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Liberal indoctrination in classroom politics is no myth. 39% of colleges have 0 Republican professors

No wonder the little tikes are turning in to communist.

https://www.onenewsnow.com/education...can-professors
Foreign students and Foreign born professors cannot become republican because they are not .....

Old 05-08-2018, 02:36 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Liberal indoctrination in classroom politics is no myth. 39% of colleges have 0 Republican professors

No wonder the little tikes are turning in to communist.

https://www.onenewsnow.com/education...can-professors
Is this because the Liberals can't do anything, so they teach, or is it because the republicans can't cut the mustard academically because they never learned anything in school?

So many questions...

Old 05-08-2018, 02:44 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Liberals are not better educated than conservatives, but they may in some cases be more formally educated. Most of one's education does or at least should happen outside of a classroom or lab. I've learned much more out in the world than I have in a formal setting, by far. And this goes for practical as well as "critical thinking" sorts of learning. This is not to say there is no benefit to a higher education, but there does reach a point of diminishing returns, where real world experience becomes more valuable to mind and soul.
If this is true, why do the places with less formal education have

More Divorce
Lower Incomes
More Infant Mortality
Die younger
Have more Obesity
Are generally more violent (MA is he least "gun violence" state in the country, etc.).
Have lower incomes
Have high or higher STD rates
???????????

Now, full disclosure - I speak as a high school dropout. There are exceptions to every rule, but every single statistic lines up perfectly showing that formal education=better outcomes.

Are there some people like me around (made it in every way....with "common sense" and "hard work")- well, sure. But when we discuss matters such as this, we need to look at 100's of millions of people and what the results of the "common sense" thinking have been.

We can debate related subjects - such as whether critical thinking, history, communication and flexibility (learned in a proper liberal arts education) end up producing better "common sense"...

In my case, I won some of the lottery in DNA and parenting. My lineage includes the Ferrragamo fashion empire (dirt poor when they came to the USA) as well as incredibly educated (on the other side) generations dating back to.....well, we can guess King David, but we have proof of about 400+ years.

Common sense and intelligence and many other traits are burned into DNA...part nature and part nurture.

I'll never forget reading a book about a famous social critic, writer and journalist of the early 20th century. He traveled back to his root in Germany and found the writings of one of his ancestors from about 1700. The writing contained the EXACT Point of View (cynical, questioning, smart-alec) that he had - despite the fact that the family in the USA knew nothing of the past history. All they knew was that they were now cigar makers.

Another family who I played music with as a teen - they were great musicians and ended up making quite a career in it long after I left their band. When I looked up their family name (German, Austrian) I found a site that said "If you are looking at our family surname, you are looking at a musician". Wow.....it really hit me.

On the other hand, the Scots-Irish that settled in places like KY and other Appalachian lands were illiterate - their parents and grandparents were illiterate - even back in Ireland and England their ancestors were not in the trades. Guess what? They got all their land stolen from them (mineral and timber rights), slaved in the mines, died young and until their kin (some) left and got an education, they went nowhere (economically and societally).

"Real World Experience" is important to many decisions involving USE of education and skills and ambition/work. An intelligent person can say "This isn't for me - I'm going to go down this other path". Someone less educated and with less common sense is going to think "Hey, it's a job and I make enough money to have beer and parties on the weekend, so all is good even though I don't enjoy it and am not being fully challenged or learning anything"....

Old 05-08-2018, 02:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Having two doctorate degrees, I always think it is cute when someone thinks that being a liberal makes them more educated than me.
I don't think that most liberals think they're more educated that all conservatives.

It's just clear even from reading this forum that more conservatives than liberals seem to hold some sort of disdain for higher education.

I know PLENTY of conservatives who have at least a bachelor's degree and a good many more with advanced degrees.

It is true, however, that liberals tend to embrace higher learning at a higher percentage rate than conservatives, though.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:53 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I don't think that most liberals think they're more educated that all conservatives.

It's just clear even from reading this forum that more conservatives than liberals seem to hold some sort of disdain for higher education.

I know PLENTY of conservatives who have at least a bachelor's degree and a good many more with advanced degrees.

It is true, however, that liberals tend to embrace higher learning at a higher percentage rate than conservatives, though.
I know. My comment was directed at one particular post from one particular poster.

You have some people on your side that are like children. They are not looking for an adult discussion on issues. Their goal is only to provoke a negative response. Just because I look down on those few, doesnt mean I feel like the rest of you are beneath me. I respect people who can discuss political differences like adults.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 05-08-2018 at 03:37 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 02:58 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Just an indication that liberals are better educated than conservatives and more likely to become college professors.
I owe you a rep for this post, but this sums it up nicely. Conservatives don't value education. They tell us that again and again and again. Why are they surprised, then, when there aren't many Conservatives in professor roles?

Becoming educated is for "elitists." Those god-fearing rightists don't need them none of that fancy-pants edumacation. Book learnin' is for sissies and limp-wristed liberals.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Nah, that's not it

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Maybe there is another reason for this. Perhaps Republicans are not smart enough to become professors .

Think about it.
Or more likely Republicans in general are more interested in making money or advancing their career than they are in study. I admired William Buckley's writing - his speaking style was a bit too arch for my tastes. & Charles Krauthammer is an excellent writer. George Will does well, too - but he tends to drift off into sports content &/or metaphors.

The GOP since Pres. W's time seems to spend a lot of its time & political capital whipping on science & logic & technology in general, unless it makes money for one of their constituencies. That may just be an artifact of corporate support for the GOP in general - but I think it's a bad sign for the GOP, just as Trump's bashing everybody & anybody that he thinks of as an enemy will in the long term, be deadly for the GOP as an institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies