Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 07:12 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
schumer doesn't care about these 'poor kids' or he would have done something about it years ago.
And the same could be said of McConnell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
the democrats will never agree to any legislation short of the continuation of catch and release which trump will never agree to do. there will be no legislation passed in congress.
I don't disagree with that last statement.

House Democrats unveiled a bill yesterday to keep immigrant families together.

Every single Democrat signed on. Not a single Republican did.

Nothing will be done by this Congress because there is no will to compromise.

House Democrats Bill Would Keep Immigrant Families Together | Time

This is why Trump needs to take the initiative. Congress can't agree on anything. He can fix this with a stroke of his pen. If he doesn't, this is all on him.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:13 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
The Democrat's bill prohibits any illegal immigrant from being arrested within 100 miles of the border.

Who comes up with this s@#!?? Seriously?

It scares me that every Democrat signed on.
Care to share cite?

Old 06-19-2018, 07:15 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
I mean why even have laws? Why even have any security at all? Some Syrian nationalist comes here with his mini-me and walks right through security. Next thing a dirty bomb goes off in NYC and everyone is like how could this happen? We need more security.

The cycle is exhausting.

Fact is sometimes good laws get good people. One can go to church every Sunday and still get busted for five over speeding.

The "claim" part is scary. Basically anyone, any terrorist can come into this country "claim" asylum and walk the streets as they please, well at least until their asylum is proven otherwise but who cares? Six months is more than enough to do the dirty.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:16 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And the same could be said of McConnell.

I don't disagree with that last statement.

House Democrats unveiled a bill yesterday to keep immigrant families together.

Every single Democrat signed on. Not a single Republican did.

Nothing will be done by this Congress because there is no will to compromise.

House Democrats Bill Would Keep Immigrant Families Together | Time

This is why Trump needs to take the initiative. Congress can't agree on anything. He can fix this with a stroke of his pen. If he doesn't, this is all on him.

Yep. This thing is quickly getting out of hand for them. The weird thing is I honestly don't think Trump nor Sessions see it. Oh well, let them remain ignorant. Every day this drags on the worse they look.

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I support sending families back in their entirety.

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
maybe they could, you know, do their job and pass some common sense immigration reform laws.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:18 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06...-border-texas/

I am pleased to see courageous Republicans of differing ideologies speak out against this policy. Senators Ted Cruz, Ben Sasse, John McCain, Jeff Flake, Lisa Murkowski, and Susan Collins are amongst those who oppose Trump's policy. They represent different wings of the GOP and are from very different places. I am proud of them and wish more would speak out. I also applaud Senator Cruz for his efforts to correct the failing policy.

I am a Republican who did not vote for Trump for a variety of reasons, primarily because I don't believe he is a conservative, he has shown poor judgement, and he lacks the integrity I like to see in our leaders. I am also not a fan of illegal immigration and oppose taxpayer-funded benefits for those here illegally. That said, separating minors from their parents is cruel, inhumane, immoral, and just plain wrong regardless of legal status. We should work to stop illegal immigration, but we should not lose sight of who we are or what this great country stands for.

Donald Trump pretended to be a proponent of family values as a candidate for President in 2016. It turns out he's really just another typical politician who will say or do anything to win an election. The images of children in fear because they are separated from their parents not only shock those of us who care about people, but they are an embarrassment on the world stage. I hope Congress passes Senator Cruz's bill.
Ted Cruz has staged a dramatic about-face on the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" immigration policies, laying bare how politically damaging the issue of separating children from parents accused of crossing the border illegally is becoming for Republicans facing voters this fall.

The Texas senator, who has become a frequent ally of President Donald Trump, initially blasted criticism of the White House crackdown.

"When you see Democrats saying, 'Don't separate kids from their parents,' what they're really saying is don't arrest illegal aliens," he said last week
https://www.yahoo.com/news/cruzs-fli...-election.html

Cruz wants to get reelected. Nothing more or less.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Senator Cruz is a father, I don't agree with you. I think he genuinely cares.

Normally I would agree with you here but Cruz, like the rest of the far right types, put party over family or anything else.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:22 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
In Obama/Democrat's defense, every President before Trump blew off laws where enforcement has bad optics, Obama was just the most recent one. Immigration law has horrible optics, so nobody enforces it.

All you need is one screaming, crying kid holding outstretched arm to parents who are handcuffed and being led away, and boom, humanitarian crisis. Thing is, plenty of screaming, crying kids have held that same outstretched arm pose in courtrooms all over the US for all manner of laws their parents got convicted of breaking and led away, and we haven't added the "vacate/ignore law because crying child" for murder, rape, theft, assault, etc.

People think immigration law isn't really crime, so enforcing the law is seen as being just plain old mean. Sovereign borders are a theory, not a reality. Etc etc. Thing is, everything Trump is ordering enforcement of is at least 20+ years old, and duly written/voted on/passed by Congress. He's following his job description to the letter, and even following the true spirit of the Constitution, checks and balances, etc. Nothing he is doing wasn't previously authorized/mandated by Congress and the US Code. Again, it just has really crappy optics, so he gets to be the villain because Americans are so freaking stupid and believe whatever the media says.

I absolutely think immigration law needs massive reform and all that, but nothing Trump is doing is outside what prior Presidents and Congresses authorized/mandated him to do. He just has the sack to actually do things instead of avoiding them.
amen. all he is doing is enforcing the law that was given to him and not giving people a pass. 2/3 of americans are legitimately stupid.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:23 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
A journalist at the WH today reported that the folks in the WH are feeding on the outrage, that they want what is happening, this is what they were aiming at.

Can anyone explain why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies