Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:47 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I feel sorry for his supporters, because they go to no end to defend his words, only to see him flip-flop later. It leaves them looking like fools.
Ain't that the truth? It must be exhausting being a Trump supporter. A tiny part of me does feel sorry for them.

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna-501 View Post
as children are separated from their families, law enforcement agents reclassify them from members of family units to “unaccompanied alien children.” federal officials said tuesday that since may, they have separated 2,342 children from their families, rendering them unaccompanied minors in the government’s care.
https://apnews.com/dc0c9a5134d14862ba7c7ad9a811160e

this way if they lose a few they just say they were unaccompanied.
o.m.g.

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I'd say the left won this one. And they didn't have to do anything but show the country what was happening, in graphic detail.

Public opinion was against Trump by a wide margin, and the GOP was hearing outrage from their constituents.

Public opinion matters. Mr. Trump just learned that lesson. And I bet it stings.
Is you saying that some kind of cosmic revelation?<bold>

Old 06-20-2018, 11:50 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Do you mean DNA? Fingerprints do not determine relationships, unless confirmed fingerprints of all family members concerned already exist. Perhaps the children and parents were fingerprinted as part of the processing, but I have not heard anything about it at all.

Have you seen anything about fingerprinting of children being instituted, and if so, were those fingerprints linked to the prints of their parents or other accompanying adult relatives?

My guess is that it will take DNA swabs for the youngest children to be reunited with their parents.

Fingerprints are enough. Much quicker and cheaper to capture and compare than DNA. Fingerprints can be digitized and looked up just looking up a product price by scanning a barcode.

This is about families being taken in together. We only need to connect a child to the parent that was accompanying them. DNA might be advisable for unaccompanied children but that is not the issue at hand.

The processing of a family might go like this on day 1:

Father, assign alien id 1001, take fingerprint, link to 1002/1003/1004

Mother, assign alien id 1002, take fingerprint, link to 1001/1003/1004

Child1, assign alien id 1003, take fingerprint, link to 1001/1002/1004

Child2, assign alien id 1004, take fingerprint, link to 1001/1002/1003

Old 06-20-2018, 11:50 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Default Trump is becoming a dictator

How could Trump sign a EO to go against an existing law which the liberal 9th court of appeal upheld?

"President Trump is planning to sign an executive order to allow children to stay with parents caught crossing the border illegally -- a step that could avoid the family separations that have triggered a national outcry and political crisis for Republicans.

The action under consideration would allow children to stay in detention with parents for an extended period of time, Fox News has learned. This comes as congressional Republicans scramble to draft legislation to address the same issue, but face challenges mustering the votes. "

Trump plans executive action to prevent family separations at border | Fox News

Also, why don't bleeding heart Democrats support the change of the law?

Old 06-20-2018, 11:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Congress should fix it in the long run.

But as this administration chose to interpret the law to the full extent and created this chaos, he should provide a temporary fix.

Nope! Congress makes their bed and don't want to lie in it.

Trump isn't a dictator and the nation is not in imminent harm

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Check your newsfeed. trump is signing an Exec Order to reverse his own policy. He lives at the other end of Pennsylvania Ave.
Oh really. What does it say ?

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Ain't that the truth? It must be exhausting being a Trump supporter. A tiny part of me does feel sorry for them.
Just remember the many hateful things they've said, parroting their hateful master, and you'll get over it pretty quickly.

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If the parents had killed someone and were in jail would you oppose separating them form the kids? What if they were going to jail for embezzlement?

Under our laws, these parents are criminals. That can be changed, but the concept of separate children form parents being prosecuted as criminals is not all that surprising. It is sad and horrible, but I do not see making accommodations for serial killers to be able to stay with their kid while in jail.

The zero tolerance policy is not what separates the kids form their families, it is what makes the parents get prosecuted as criminals. If there is to be a stop to all children getting separated form their parents for illegal immigration we woudl have to change to a look the other way policy and not enforce immigration laws at all. No president has done that or even considered it.

Yes, we need to change our immigration laws. We need to create a practical way for good people to come here and work without breaking our laws. However the idea of separating children form criminal parents does nto seem harsh, or nasty to me. The only problem is absurd immigration laws the compel people to become criminals in our country in order to live because there is no practical way to come work here without being a criminal. Change that. Create a legal and practical (fast) way for people to come work here without becoming criminals, and they will not be separated from their children.

The real issue is people do not like the current definitions of people who break our immigration laws as criminals. The best way to change that, it to change our immigration laws and policies. They are a disgrace. That is up to congress to do.
Let's not forget had these people gone to/through the Port Of Entry like non criminals do every single day they'd not have been arrested or separated from their children.

The problem is they entered ILLEGALLY as in NOT at the Port Of Entry, but the hand wringers forget that or chose to ignore it as it doesn't fit their "I hate Trump" meme...

Old 06-20-2018, 11:52 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Trump broke it. He could fix it. Instead he will mess it all up. Screw the pooch is the best term I can use for him and his Administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies