Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And?

I pointed out that the Bible verse that you chose to use to make the point that JESUS stated that Christians are to follow the law is NOT attributed to Jesus.

It is attributed to PAUL, who, while often confused for Jesus, was NOT Jesus.

Jesus said that His intention was to uphold The Law, meaning the Torah:

"Matthew 5:17:

"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. 17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them.""

So what did the Jewish Law that Jesus came to fulfill have to say about how to treat foreigners?

Leviticus 19:34
"When a foreigner resides with you in your land, you must not oppress him. 34You must treat the foreigner living among you as native-born and love him as yourself, for you were foreigners in the land of Egypt. I am the LORD your God."

Of course people are much more familiar with some other verses of Leviticus, but surely this one should carry as much weight as some of the others.

We see then just how vitally important the Christian’s relationship to civil government is. We are “aliens and strangers” on this earth; our citizenship is in heaven. But this does not mean we are somehow less obligated to obey the laws of the land. Unlike those who exploded a bomb in the New York World Trade Center, we dare not view our foreign citizenship as a license to break the laws of the land in which we live. Peter’s words are not easy to swallow, and they may be less than easy to obey. Peter will inform us that we have the same obligation to obey our government as do unbelievers living in this nation, but the Christian has an even higher obligation than unbelievers.

I totally get what your saying and you are right, however, there are also other issues to consider....here

Old 06-27-2018, 10:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not just conservatives. Quite a few liberals are doing the same to imply Christianity is only about loving thy neighbor. That is why religion and the bible should not be brought into political debates as a defense or excuse or justification for anything.
I agree with this 100%.

Neither side should be using the Bible to justify civic behavior.

But, if people are going to use it, they should be honest enough to admit that Jesus was all about loving thy neighbor.
It was the second most important commandment as far as He was concerned.

If this is truly a Christian nation, surely at minimum we could/should recognize just what it was that Jesus, not Paul, not James, not Timothy..., stood for.

After all, there is only one Christ.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
We see then just how vitally important the Christian’s relationship to civil government is. We are “aliens and strangers” on this earth; our citizenship is in heaven. But this does not mean we are somehow less obligated to obey the laws of the land. Unlike those who exploded a bomb in the New York World Trade Center, we dare not view our foreign citizenship as a license to break the laws of the land in which we live. Peter’s words are not easy to swallow, and they may be less than easy to obey. Peter will inform us that we have the same obligation to obey our government as do unbelievers living in this nation, but the Christian has an even higher obligation than unbelievers.
You forgot the link to the quote.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:49 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not just conservatives. Quite a few liberals are doing the same to imply Christianity is only about loving thy neighbor. That is why religion and the bible should not be brought into political debates as a defense or excuse or justification for anything.
yes, it goes much deeper....

You are a guest in my home, so you must govern yourselves by my rules...

which is what we should also be teaching our children....

they must realize, no matter where they go, there are rules and laws to govern a household and a state and a country...

Old 06-27-2018, 11:43 AM

36,521 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
I agree with this 100%.

Neither side should be using the Bible to justify civic behavior.

But, if people are going to use it, they should be honest enough to admit that Jesus was all about loving thy neighbor.
It was the second most important commandment as far as He was concerned.

If this is truly a Christian nation, surely at minimum we could/should recognize just what it was that Jesus, not Paul, not James, not Timothy..., stood for.

After all, there is only one Christ.
But again, religion and the bible are more than just Jesus Christ. Christianity is much more than soft and fuzzy loving thy neighbor. And the disciples were instrumental in spreading the gospel.

Jesus telling the lawyer Pharisees the second greatest commandment was to love thy neighbor as thyself was referencing Gods commandment to Moses in Leviticus. I imagine that can have multiple interpretations as it also says you shall rebuke your neighbor and not bear sin because of him.

I also imagine the majority of Christians don't Love the Lord God with all their heart and all their soul and all their mind.
Gods chosen people couldn't even keep the commandments right after they were given straight for God.

Again all the more reason not to inject scripture into this.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:26 PM

62,934 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
And?

I pointed out that the Bible verse that you chose to use to make the point that JESUS stated that Christians are to follow the law is NOT attributed to Jesus.

It is attributed to PAUL, who, while often confused for Jesus, was NOT Jesus.

Jesus said that His intention was to uphold The Law, meaning the Torah:

"Matthew 5:17:

"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. 17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them.""

So what did the Jewish Law that Jesus came to fulfill have to say about how to treat foreigners?

Leviticus 19:34
"When a foreigner resides with you in your land, you must not oppress him. 34You must treat the foreigner living among you as native-born and love him as yourself, for you were foreigners in the land of Egypt. I am the LORD your God."

Of course people are much more familiar with some other verses of Leviticus, but surely this one should carry as much weight as some of the others.

I seriously doubt the Jesus would have included illegal alien law breakers in his remark if there were such a thing as an illegal alien back then. A foreigner can also be a legal immigrant or a legitimate asylum seeker. Let's not blur those lines to defend illegal aliens in our country. Jesus also said to obey the laws of the land and illegal aliens do not.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:35 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamdcastle View Post
What's up with all the "Christians" who think it's okay to rip children away from their mothers, lock them in cages, and store them in concentration camps on American soil.
ask obama. he's a christian, right?

Old 06-27-2018, 02:07 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times

Old 06-28-2018, 06:41 AM

Three year olds are now expected to find their own representation.

Three year olds!

“As the White House faces court orders to reunite families separated at the border, immigrant children as young as three years old are being ordered into court for their own deportation proceedings,according to attorneys in Texas, California and Washington, D.C.
Leaders at three legal services organizations and a private firm confirmed that the children are being served with notices to appear in court. They are not entitled to an attorney but rather are given a list of legal services organizations that might help them.“

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06...mpression=true

Old 06-28-2018, 11:20 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
I suggest Trump tread water for now. We WILL have a new justice on the supreme court soon enough, and then we can confidently and intelligently EXCLUDE people we don't want from invading our country with the blessing of a court that will sensibly recognize our right to control our borders. And if that other miserable collectivist biddy Ginsberg can shuffle off or retire soon, boom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies