Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 01:58 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Like many conservative christians, Jeff Sessions is prime example of a cafeteria christian.

Matthew 18:6 King James Version (KJV)
6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Huh?

Old 06-30-2018, 03:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The base that is being established right now, the demonizing of a group of people, using the extremes (MS13) to define the whole group, the dehumanizing (they're just animals) and the outright violation of human rights is exactly how things started in Nazi Germany.

Demonizing of a group of people? That's what I'm seeing coming out of liberals with their characterization of anyone who supports a Trump policy as evil and bad people. It started with Hillary's "deplorables". Social media is covered with liberal memes painting you as inherently not a good person if you are for this or against that. The liberal mantra these days seems to be "you're on our side or you're evil".

Old 06-30-2018, 03:51 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Let me try and explain it to you. My parents lived through the Hitler years, and I've been through three concentration camps, Dachau, Buchenwald and Terzin. I've also seen the hate that was shown in the recent elections in Hungary, as I was there during the later part of that campaign.

My fiance and I swore that no matter what, when we see glimmers of what happened during the Nazi era, we need to speak out against it. Don't forget, the Holocaust did not start immediately, in fact Hitler was in power for 8 years before the mass murders started.

The base that is being established right now, the demonizing of a group of people, using the extremes (MS13) to define the whole group, the dehumanizing (they're just animals) and the outright violation of human rights is exactly how things started in Nazi Germany.

Never again means NEVER AGAIN. Never again let those elements that established the groundwork for the horrors that followed get hold. Never again can the demonization of an entire set of people be allowed. Never again can the dehumanization be allowed, and never, ever, again will we be silent when we see human rights being violated.

We are not religious, but we are humanists. When you see what those people went through, even in a camp like Terezin or it's ghetto, you say, never again. We must speak out when we see even the slightest move towards the circumstances that allowed the Holocaust to occur.

Never again means none of us can be silent. Ever.

And me and my fiance won't. Ever.

We are not talking about demonizing groups of citizens within our country. We are demonizing groups of illegal invaders from foreign countries attempting to walk across our border as part of a leftist-collectivist organized conspiracy that was planned and publicized several months ago.

These invaders should not be demonized, they should be arrested and summarily bounced back from whence they came.

You either apply and get accepted, or keep out. Those are the choices.

By the way, you don't avoid lapsing into Godwin's Law by simply neglecting to mention Hitler. Inappropriate comparison with Nazi Germany in any form is now a violation of Godwin's Law. You're busted.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:31 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Demonizing of a group of people? That's what I'm seeing coming out of liberals with their characterization of anyone who supports a Trump policy as evil and bad people. It started with Hillary's "deplorables". Social media is covered with liberal memes painting you as inherently not a good person if you are for this or against that. The liberal mantra these days seems to be "you're on our side or you're evil".
Yes, Trump and his followers are doing EXACTLY that, demonizing a group of people. How many clips do you want me to get Dr. Google to serve up of exactly Trump doing that. You know they are there in spades.

No, after seeing the camps and the horrible campaign in Hungary this spring, me and my finance vowed that NEVER AGAIN means that no matter how small or how innocuous that groundwork is laid, it needs to be called out soon and often. I'm sorry if you can't see that, as it has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative.

In fact, for most of the post-war era, conservatives were well aware of this. Now? It appears not.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
We are not talking about demonizing groups of citizens within our country.
It doesn't matter. The fact is that people, women, men, children and grandparents, are being demonized. NEVER AGAIN means not even allowing one time for that to happen.

Quote:
We are demonizing groups of illegal invaders from foreign countries attempting to walk across our border as part of a leftist-collectivist organized conspiracy that was planned and publicized several months ago.
Oh give me a break. An Alex Jones conspiracy doesn't make anything a fact.

Quote:
These invaders should not be demonized, they should be arrested and summarily bounced back from whence they came.

You either apply and get accepted, or keep out. Those are the choices.
You apparently for get those words on the Statue of Liberty. Do you know what they are? Most of us learned them in school. They mean something, or at least they did.

Quote:
By the way, you don't avoid lapsing into Godwin's Law by simply neglecting to mention Hitler. Inappropriate comparison with Nazi Germany in any form is now a violation of Godwin's Law. You're busted.
NEVER AGAIN means what it says, and when one sees the start of the dehumanization process, it must be fought and exposed. You know, maybe law enforcement should make a better choice than red armbands. The visual, especially arresting a rabbi isn't exactly appealing.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1013118244893413376

Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
No, after seeing the camps and the horrible campaign in Hungary this spring, me and my finance vowed that NEVER AGAIN means that no matter how small or how innocuous that groundwork is laid, it needs to be called out soon and often. I'm sorry if you can't see that, as it has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative.

Get a grip. The camps you visited bore no semblance to the detention centers by ICE regardless of your imagined similarities. I'm sorry you couldn't see it under Obama but then that has everything to do with being liberal or conservative.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:51 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Since when did the poem on the Statue of Liberty make it ok to violate our modern day immigration laws? It also said to come via the golden door not the back door like a thief in the night. No poem or statue overrides our immigration laws.

You also can't take a time when we were a wide open frontier with plentiful resources and jobs and a sparse population and compare it to today or use it as an open invitation to every Tom, Abdulah or Jose to just walk into our country at will.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Since when did the poem on the Statue of Liberty make it ok to violate our modern day immigration laws? It also said to come via the golden door not the back door like a thief in the night. No poem or statue overrides our immigration laws.

I'd also like to know which sitting Congress passed this poem into law?

If we send Mexico a statue inscribed with a poem calling on their fellow countrymen to stay in their home country and build it to one they want to live in rather than leave it behind for another, will that obligate them to block illegal migration north?

Old 06-30-2018, 08:04 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My grandfather was an "illegal", he was a Norwegian sailor who stayed in the US after his boat left, but he eventually became a US Citizen, he wasn't called an invader or a criminal he simply had to prove he was of good moral character and have two witnesses affirm that his application was accurate and that they knew him.

All this invader BS is relatively new and it's just a way to get nativists fired up, it too will pass.
The difference is the welfare and other services "safety net" which is an irresistible draw for people. Do you suggest we just open the floodgates?

Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Get a grip. The camps you visited bore no semblance to the detention centers by ICE regardless of your imagined similarities. I'm sorry you couldn't see it under Obama but then that has everything to do with being liberal or conservative.
What you don't get is that the xenophobia didn't start with the death camps, it started much earlier with the demonization and dehumanization of an entire group.

NEVER AGAIN means calling out when the groundwork is attempted to be laid. It's too late if one let it grow and fester.

A civilized nation that believes in and upholds humanitarian values will never allow the type of thing that is going on right now. NEVER AGAIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies