Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:58 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The First Nations people certainly had the concept of territory. You are wrong. Some tribes (mostly the plains First Nations) didn't have the concept of land property ownership. However, other groups, such as the Haida, certainly knew and valued private property. What do you think a potlatch was all about????

Aztecs had a very complex land property ownership structure, which would be recognized by feudal lords in Europe, although it was somewhat more egalitarian. The Mahican Indians in the Northeast possessed hereditary rights to use well-defined tracts of garden land along rivers. Many of the Southeast tribes practiced the concept of private land ownership.

Time to get out of your Ayn Rand thought process, and understand the real history of First Nations. It varies from tribe to tribe, and was not the ubiquitous "noble savage" who did nothing but wander around over the seasons.

We are digressing.

When did the USA become a non-welcoming nation, or at least, many of its citizens? When did it wander away from what many elected officials proclaim as "Judeo-Christian" roots, and denounce humanitarian acts? When did it become so callous, that it not only separates children from parents, but the leader of the country proudly proclaims this callous, ruthless, heartless action is justified and will continue?
When did this happen? When invaders started crossing our sovereign borders without first applying for valid legal citizenship. That is the moment when it happened.

We are not a welcoming nation for invaders. Nor should we be. We ARE a welcoming nation for people who apply for immigration and go through the process. American citizenship is not a right, it has to be applied for and there are qualifications and exclusions that will prevent entry for some people.

Furthermore, the Indians were a collection of primitive warring tribes that slaughtered and killed each other in an endless and brutal series of conquests over centuries and centuries. There was no system of property rights that were codified and respected by other tribes. It was free-for-all savagery and the settlers from Europe IMPROVED the situation by subjugating what were savages and offering them advances of civilization and the Scientific Revolution. Thereby saving them the time of having to evolve these advances themselves.

Furthermore, the era was characterized by conquest as a legitimate means of expansion. Those were the norms of the time, power won, weakness lost, and that's the end of it. With no implications for today.

And no, First Nations is a BS term. American Indians walked here from Asia. They are Asian descendants. They invaded North America, and then each other, just like the Europeans did. All natural, all standard, and all perfectly OK given the morality of the times. The only First Nation is Africa, where we all came from.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Right, he was ok because he was blonde with blue eyes and these invaders have brown skin and black hair. I totally get that

PS very few drugs are carried into the US by people illegals walking into the US, they come in trucks, in planes, boats, they are sent in the mail (fentanyl from China) and I am sure some drugs are sent via drones but don't take my word for it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/u...rder-wall.html
Nope, sorry your it's raaaaaaacist analogy really falls flat and is a complete failure except for fellow race baiters.
Nice try though.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Anne Frank and her family were German by birth (with very, very deep German roots), and original nationality. Her family moved to the then unoccupied Netherlands from Germany to escape the Nazis and acquired Dutch citizenship during Anne's early childhood.

Other family relatives moved to Switzerland, England, and the United States about the same time, and survived the war. Their willingness to share their family pictures, memories, stories and records have greatly enriched Anne Frank's story and our understanding of her and her time.

My analogy did not compare Hitler to Trump, nor would I do so at present, but it dealt with ordinary people who happened to live in extraordinary times, and who were faced with moral quandaries because of that.

In my post, I referred to Miep Gies, an unassuming young Dutch woman who worked with Otto Frank as a secretary in the Frank pectin import business, and to the Franks' other business associates and office employees - very ordinary, middle class people who never previously demonstrated extraordinary courage - until they were faced with a situation from which they found they could not look away.

My analogy was about those brave helpers and the choices they made. I could have used another scenario - those early 18th century Virginians of British background who similarly came to the aid of my own penniless and desperate French Huguenot refugee ancestors who had fled France to escape deadly religious persecution but arrived in Colonial Virginia in the dead of winter with little more than their faith and the ragged clothes on their backs, for example - but thought the story of those who helped Anne Frank was better known and thus would resonate with more readers here.

I had a role in the dramatized "The Diary of Anne Frank" many years ago, when I was quite young, and first read her diary before that, when I was twelve, thanks to my aunt providing me with the book. Both experiences had a major impact on my life, and I have also introduced Anne's diary to many young people. My classmates included children of Holocaust survivors. I have read everything I can find about Anne...

Please do not feel you must lecture me - my references to Anne Frank were tangential, as my focus was on "the helpers", those who courageously helped her and the seven others in hiding, at the risk of their own safety and lives, breaking unjust laws in order to do so. There are lessons there to be learned for our time.

For all times, actually.
Gee, you had a role in a freaking play and read some things, isn't that special.
What happened in Nazi Germany has NO relation to what's happening in the U.S. today and nothing you or other race baiters or history revisionists say will change that. As a matter of fact, why not use Bosnia instead?

As for "lecturing you", come back when you've lost relatives to a murderous government who cooked and/or gassed 'em to death...

Old 07-01-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Let me try and explain it to you. My parents lived through the Hitler years, and I've been through three concentration camps, Dachau, Buchenwald and Terzin. I've also seen the hate that was shown in the recent elections in Hungary, as I was there during the later part of that campaign.

My fiance and I swore that no matter what, when we see glimmers of what happened during the Nazi era, we need to speak out against it. Don't forget, the Holocaust did not start immediately, in fact Hitler was in power for 8 years before the mass murders started.

The base that is being established right now, the demonizing of a group of people, using the extremes (MS13) to define the whole group, the dehumanizing (they're just animals) and the outright violation of human rights is exactly how things started in Nazi Germany.

Never again means NEVER AGAIN. Never again let those elements that established the groundwork for the horrors that followed get hold. Never again can the demonization of an entire set of people be allowed. Never again can the dehumanization be allowed, and never, ever, again will we be silent when we see human rights being violated.

We are not religious, but we are humanists. When you see what those people went through, even in a camp like Terezin or it's ghetto, you say, never again. We must speak out when we see even the slightest move towards the circumstances that allowed the Holocaust to occur.

Never again means none of us can be silent. Ever.

And me and my fiance won't. Ever.
Complete B.S. analogy and you know it. There's NO glimmer here, not even a spark when it comes to ILLEGALS. Now if you want to talk about the Police State that many places are turning into that's another subject altogether...

Old 07-01-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Demonizing of a group of people? That's what I'm seeing coming out of liberals with their characterization of anyone who supports a Trump policy as evil and bad people. It started with Hillary's "deplorables". Social media is covered with liberal memes painting you as inherently not a good person if you are for this or against that. The liberal mantra these days seems to be "you're on our side or you're evil".
Not only evil but should be stopped at all costs including violence, loss of employment and eviction from your residence. The question I then ask is "Now who is acting like a brown shirt goose stepping totalitarian"?

Old 07-01-2018, 01:16 PM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The Indians didn't have the concept of property ownership or national borders. There were no laws broken. And why are you even lumping all "Indians" collectively in one group? Are you racist?

Besides, look what happened to the "Indians"! We had best not make the same mistake. You inadvertently just provided the single best example of why we need to ENFORCE THE LAW!

The Amerindians didn't even believe in property ownership and there were no immigration laws in place hundreds of years ago. They weren't even native to this country/continent they migrated here just as the Europeans did. Everyone had a right to migrate to the New World back then.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
When did this happen? When invaders started crossing our sovereign borders without first applying for valid legal citizenship. That is the moment when it happened.

We are not a welcoming nation for invaders. Nor should we be. We ARE a welcoming nation for people who apply for immigration and go through the process. American citizenship is not a right, it has to be applied for and there are qualifications and exclusions that will prevent entry for some people.

Furthermore, the Indians were a collection of primitive warring tribes that slaughtered and killed each other in an endless and brutal series of conquests over centuries and centuries. There was no system of property rights that were codified and respected by other tribes. It was free-for-all savagery and the settlers from Europe IMPROVED the situation by subjugating what were savages and offering them advances of civilization and the Scientific Revolution. Thereby saving them the time of having to evolve these advances themselves.

Furthermore, the era was characterized by conquest as a legitimate means of expansion. Those were the norms of the time, power won, weakness lost, and that's the end of it. With no implications for today.

And no, First Nations is a BS term. American Indians walked here from Asia. They are Asian descendants. They invaded North America, and then each other, just like the Europeans did. All natural, all standard, and all perfectly OK given the morality of the times. The only First Nation is Africa, where we all came from.

Excellent, truthful post. Thank you!

Old 07-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
The USA is not only a signatory to, but it was one of the primary proposers of the United Nations convention on refugees.

Rights contained in the Convention include:
•The right not to be expelled, except under certain, strictly defined conditions (Article 32);
•The right not to be punished for illegal entry into the territory of a contracting State (Article31);
•The right to work (Articles 17 to 19);•The right to housing (Article 21);
•The right to education (Article 22);•The right to public relief and assistance (Article 23);
•The right to freedom of religion (Article 4);
•The right to access the courts (Article 16);
•The right to freedom of movement within the territory (Article 26); and
•The right to be issued identity and travel documents (Articles 27 and 28).Some basic rights, including the right to be protected from refoulement, apply to all refugees. A refugee becomes entitled to other rights the longer they remain in the host country, which is based on the recognition that the longer they remain as refugees, the more rights they need.

Again, not only agreed to this treaty, but the primary drafter of it. That treaty was approved by unanimous vote of the US Senate, which makes it law..

You might not like it, but that is the fact. And right now, the USA is breaking a treaty that it proposed, and it approved as required by the Constitution.

Fact, not opinion.

Utter BS! Post a link not something without it and I'm not going to look up every Article that you quoted either. I am willing to bet that most of this was about the rights of our own citizens and legal immigrants not illegal entrants with or without claiming asylum. Just like birthright citizenship the wording and true meaning were important but are being ignored in favor of a PC policy instead.

Again, I ask do you really think we were expected to commit national suicide for any number of illegal aliens or other foreigners claiming some bogus asylum? If that were true then why did we make immigration laws in the first place?

Old 07-01-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
So, unless you are 100% North American Indian, then by your logic, you and your family should be bounced to wherever your forefathers came from.

Many of those North American Indians agree.

Once again, fool! The Europeans didn't come here illegally. There were no immigration laws and the Amerindians were not natives. They had no right to tell anyone that they couldn't migrate here just as they did. White people? Why should anyone mention the race or skin color of the Europeans? Racist, much?

Old 07-01-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Sheesh you do know that most of the people at the protests are not illegal right?
How pray tell would ICE go about that?

That's what is despicable though. Protesting against our laws in place to protect our own people makes these citizens traitors. Freedom of speech is one thing but anarchy and treason is quite another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.