Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 07:41 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And I provided a link proving you wrong. Bye, bye. I'm done with your anti-American crap.
No you didn't. SOME First Nations did not have personal property concepts. Some. You never answered about the potlatch ceremonies. I suspect because you have no idea what they are all about.

Others certainly did have those concepts. But go ahead, revel in your preconceived ideas. And I am not anti-American in the least. I pay more taxes in the USA than I do in Canada, I have business partners there and friends there. I am critical of a country that does not abide by the treaties it agreed to. I am critical of a country that will not abide by it own laws.

Just like I am critical of things that Canada does that is wrong. Canada is far from perfect, although it certainly does some things right. As does the USA. But right now, the USA is in an era that is harmful to itself, to its neighbors and to the global reality that existed the past 70 years. It is not a good thing.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:08 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You have NO basis for making that assertion. There is a procedure in place that will determine whether or not the claim can be upheld, but you, and many like you, apparently do not want to follow the procedure that is mandated by law and treaty.

Now, WHY? Answer that. WHY do you want to break treaties and ignore your own laws? WHY?

What are you yammering about? There is a way to apply for asylum and it involves presenting oneself at a BP checkpoint and make one's case. Sneaking into this country, no matter what reason is not the way to do it. In fact, if caught, you will be detained

It depends. With the number of employers having trouble filling jobs, often because of an aging society, maybe 5 million is the right number. I can't judge that, but I do know that my business contacts in the US are having trouble filling jobs, and even though they are looking at more automation, many of these jobs can't be done by automation. The US economy, just like Canada's depends on immigration because both of our country's birth rate has fallen to the point where it is hurting the economy. You DO understand that this is a real issue, I hope, don't you?

5 million legal immigrants a year? Seriously? We don't have unlimited buildable land or potable water. As for your rant on jobs --- what you are saying is that we should fill the country with unskilled, functionally illiterate people to do low paying jobs. Since you are not familiar with US history, you wouldn't know that before we got infested with illegals, Americans did those jobs and were paid a decent wage to do so. Once upon a time jobs in meatpacking and poultry plants paid enough to propel workers into the lower middle class. Families could live well on one income. The same with construction work occurred. Growing up, I had a friend whose father worked construction. Where I grew up, winters were harsh so construction work came to a standstill during that season. Her father made enough money to sock away to get through the winter. On top of that, they were a one income family. So...you want to bring in people who breed like rabbits. I bet you also wring your hands over the environment and are oblivious as to the deleterious effects of overpopulation. Besides, what happens when those people retire and want to collect SS? Do we bring in even more people to pay into SS? Did you know that Ponzi schemes all come crashing down at some point?

My place in Florida is in the middle of the red area, and almost all my neighbors are Republicans. They can't believe what is happening with their country. It is not what they voted for. Regardless of their politics, they to a person are great people, in fact, those that are there year round, have a key to my place just in case of, you know, hurricanes, or water leaks, or whatever.

What, exactly, did your supposedly "republican" neighbors expect to happen when Trump got elected? Were they expecting things to be like they were when Obama was in office? If so, then, perhaps, they should have voted for Hillary.

Oh good. Do you obtain a multi-channel perspective? Al-Jazeera? BBC? New York Times? The despicable (and I am not joking, can't stand her) Rachel Maddow? Financial Times? Bloomberg? CNN (yes, they do have some good reporting)? How about the English version of Der Spiegel? Frankfurter Allgemeine? Do you question claims made in opinion editorials, fact check them or just accept them when they agree with your confirmation bias?

I don't watch TV all day. Instead I look at WaPo as my building has copies lying around for us tenants. Every time I read it, I'm reminded as to why we long ago stopped subscribing to it.

You're scaremongering. Does it happen? Yes. Is it the primary source? Not even close. Quit beating that drum.

Scaremongering? Give it a rest. Trafficking minors across the border happens more frequently than you think. Again, what if it was your child who was trafficked? Would you want him/her allowed to stay with his/her trafficker, no questions asked? You are attempting to trivialize a serious problem.

The USA won't let anyone do that. You know that, don't you?

The US won't let people help illegals? Tell that to groups like Sin Fronteras. Take a look at the following link, then put your money where your mouth is: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...he-border.html

I just did. Now answer mine included in here.
You really didn't answer the questions posed to you. If you can't or won't go to the border, you can offer to take in illegals that are in your FL area. No one is stopping you

Old 07-01-2018, 10:15 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times
The argument about First Nations, Native Americans, is one that brings to hearers with open minds humbling stories of atrocities, broken agreements, and displaced peoples.

However, if those who favor open borders or at the very least lenient immigration laws (there are plenty of people who fit one or both and usually they're Democrats, all the more ironic given speeches by Bill Clinton and Barack Obama during their administrations on the need to address illegal immigration) point to the existence of the original natives of the Americas as an argument that modern-day New World countries such as the United States has no moral right to block the entry of aliens, I would suggest that they quietly review their views given the facts.

The U.S. is a highly generous country which takes in 1,000,000 legal immigrants per year, and which has states which grant driver's licenses and other such benefits to illegal aliens. There are tensions between the federal government and government at the state and city levels which illegal aliens use to escape law enforcement. There are not only religious and human rights groups who want open borders or lax immigration law enforcement, but also far-left activist groups who want immediate amnesty and leftists who are politically savvy enough to refrain from saying they want the abolition of borders but whose modus operandi and ideology leads to that result.

Those of you who are pointing to Native Americans must not forget that you benefited from the system, state, and society created by the English. Granted, Germans, Dutch, and later, Irish also arrived in what became the United States. But the European settlers who built what became America were all foreigners and they built this system. They built a first-world, rule of law-based, advanced, civilized, successful, prosperous country which to this day so many are dying to reach. If you're so upset about what was built on what was once Native American soil, why are you here?

I do not deny that history shows Native Americans were often mistreated. It's painful to read that history. But does that mean the current legislation that America has enacted should now be ignored or revoked as "payback" for past injustices? Because surely that is how many in the left think - countries like the U.S. were "oppressors" and now it's time for the "oppressed" to get their turn.

Leftists who blast President Donald Trump and who condemn "nativism" and who oppose the strict enforcement of immigration laws also tend to call Trump and his followers/supporters "racist." Odd that this country, being led by racists and having such a racist history, is nonetheless sought after by illegal aliens.

Additionally, you who oppose immigration law enforcement should read Mexican immigration laws and see how much more generous America's are. Ask yourselves whether China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Nigeria, Indonesia, Vietnam, Korea, etc. are as open and welcoming to foreigners; ask yourselves just WHAT country outside the U.S., Canada, and western European nations are willing to go out of their way to accommodate foreigners' linguistic, dietary, religious, and cultural peculiarities.

The unfair standards and burdensome demands made on America by leftists/liberals are exploited by many illegal aliens. Many of them are indeed coming here for a better life, but many are cunning and exploit the generosity of the U.S. system. Many DACA recipients used loopholes that enabled them to become lawful permanent residents and citizens. A Mexican-born woman who overstayed her visa rose up the Goldman Sachs ladder and later became a citizen and had the audacity on tv to criticize Trump for ending DACA and demanded more for illegal aliens after she herself built an enviable career and an impressive financial portfolio by disrespecting American laws.

People in heartland states may not know all the nuances, but they see these facts and are they honestly supposed not to get angry at how their country is being disrespected?

Liberals, leftists, progressives, what the hell are you thinking?

Old 07-01-2018, 10:28 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
What you missed is what is required of the country that the asylum seeker asks for that asylum. Those asylum seekers have rights, rights that presently the USA is not adhering to.
Apparently you found the one simple trick that asylum seekers hate.

You should sue the gov for not following whatever it is you are referring to. The same thing that other judges or countries that signed that treaty are also not aware about. You know it, but somehow all these actual people in power don't.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:20 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's what is despicable though. Protesting against our laws in place to protect our own people makes these citizens traitors. Freedom of speech is one thing but anarchy and treason is quite another.
Fighting for children and families.
Toddlers going to court...alone. It s madness and treachery. What BULLYS the TRUMP Admin. Is.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:57 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
You ignored that I have proven that the First Nations people certainly DID have a concept of tribal territory, and many the concept of private property.

You ignored that to spout and repeat the lie why?
You haven’t proven bullish... You come up with a cockamamie ceremony called potlatch where irrational savages postured and posed and exchanged personal property with expectations of reciprocation. This was basically a form of bribery, an attempt to curry favor and trade in phony status, or even as a means to trick each other and steal wealth through imputed largesse.

The Indians were dominated and destroyed through conquest. A practice that they cheerfully and frequently carried out on each other when they weren’t engaging in silly potlatches for purposes of tribal status seeking or even vengeance.

You’re not going to come on here with the phony politically correct “First Nations” line of revisionist crap. The Indians were Asian invaders, they were not first, they were not native, they were just the visitors before the ones that proceeded them. And there were no private property rights. Hell there was no private property. They were primarily agrarian gypsies. And they slaughtered and murdered and maimed each other with same ferocity and killing zeal exhibited by the Europeans who exercised conquest in the exact same way save for more advanced weaponry and killing talent. European domination and conquest over North America was natural, correct for the time, and improved the lives of the savages encountered once they gave up and gave in to the superior civilization. Most other conquerors would have simply annihlated the primitives they encountered. But Europeans were already into enlightenment, and tried to offer treaties, not because they owed them to the savages in any way, but because of their own enlightened morality. Even offering the stupid folly of reservations so that the primitives could continue hating their conquerors to this day instead of assimilating and gaining the benefits of the more advanced people.

And don’t go into this religious BS. This is all about Man, and not at all about God. The Europeans were superior in every way to the savages they subjugated throughout the world. They improved their lives by hastening the destruction of ridiculous primitive customs whose origins and execution lied in primitive dark mysticism.

The Europeans brought light to a world of primitive darkness. They did it violently because that’s how the world worked in those days. It was correct for the time and zero zilch nada is due in the way of an apology. And zero, zilch, nada is due to modern day Americans of Indian descent as a result of correct behavior in different times. So I really don’t want to hear any more of this “me and my fiance” pious, sanctimonious, crapola. Humanitarian, humanischmarian. You want to be a humanitarian? Support strong inviolable borders and recognize that ORGANIZED INVASIONS whose plans were published in all the newspapers are not a form of asylum seeking. Like the Indians who we could just have easily destroyed, we are once again trying to be nice, and getting taken advantage of by social vampires who want to take what they cannot earn. Using our own laws against us and trying to invade our country by simply walking in.

All treaties, international agreements, and anything signed as part of a United Nations capitulation, relating to our protection of our sovereign borders, should be summarily torn up. I don’t recognize any foreign country as having any legitimacy at all in determining how we handle our borders. It is our concern, and we should do what is in the best interests of our country, not the best interests of people trying to forcibly and violently invade it.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 07-02-2018 at 01:16 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 01:11 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You haven’t proven bullish... You come up with a cockamamie ceremony called potlatch where irrational savages postured and posed and exchanged personal property with expectations of reciprocation. This was basically a form of bribery, an attempt to curry favor and trade in phony status, or even as a means to trick each other and steal wealth through imputed largesse.
You don't understand what a potlatch was. But I'm not surprised.

Quote:
The Indians were dominated and destroyed through conquest. A practice that they cheerfully and frequently carried out on each other when they weren’t engaging in silly potlatches for purposes of tribal status seeking or even vengeance.
Yes, their ceremonies make as much sense as someone participating in a ceremony of eating a wafer and drinking some wine, and then thinking that really they are a cannibal eating a real person, and that the wine is the real blood. It's just amazing what imaginations man can come up with, right? Or those silly, silly ceremonies of immersing a person in water, and that this act magically makes that person closer to their favorite imaginary superpower friend, right? And can you imagine how silly it is to listen to somebody harp about how bad you are unless you keep sending telepathic thoughts to that imaginary superpower "friend".

The imaginations of people just goes wild, doesn't it?

Quote:
You’re not going to come on here with the phony politically correct “First Nations” line of revisionist crap. The Indians were Asian invaders, they were not first, they were not native, they were just the visitors before the ones that proceeded them. And there were no private property rights. Hell there was no private property. They were primarily agrarian gypsies. And they slaughtered and murdered and maimed each other with same ferocity and killing zeal exhibited by the Europeans who exercised conquest in the exact same way save for more advanced weaponry and killing talent. European domination and conquest over North America was natural, correct for the time, and improved the lives of the savages encountered.
You've been reading way too much Ayn Rand. Try reading some real history.

Quote:
And don’t go into this religious BS. This is all about Man, and not at all about God. The Europeans were superior in every way to the savages they subjugated throughout the world. They improved their lives by hastening the destruction of ridiculous primitive customs whose origins and execution lied in primitive dark mysticism.

The Europeans brought light to a world of primitive darkness. They did it violently because that’s how the world worked in those days. It was correct for the time and zero zilch nada is due in the way of an apology. And zero, zilch, nada is due to modern day Americans of Indian descent as a result of correct behavior in different times. So I really don’t want to hear any more of this “me and my fiance” pious, sanctimonious, crapola.
You really are a sweetheart, aren't you?

And yes, me and my fiance will always call out when we see any establishment of the hate, and the demonization of groups, or people putting themselves above other groups, just like you just did above. It is attitudes like those that you just portrayed that make the world a worse place, and not a better place.

Humanitarians want a better world. I see which side you have chosen.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:56 AM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Apparently you found the one simple trick that asylum seekers hate.

You should sue the gov for not following whatever it is you are referring to. The same thing that other judges or countries that signed that treaty are also not aware about. You know it, but somehow all these actual people in power don't.
^^^^Great post!

Spot on! I agree---he should sue the government. Let's see how far he gets!

Old 07-02-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:

Yes, their ceremonies make as much sense as someone participating in a ceremony of eating a wafer and drinking some wine, and then thinking that really they are a cannibal eating a real person, and that the wine is the real blood. It's just amazing what imaginations man can come up with, right? Or those silly, silly ceremonies of immersing a person in water, and that this act magically makes that person closer to their favorite imaginary superpower friend, right? And can you imagine how silly it is to listen to somebody harp about how bad you are unless you keep sending telepathic thoughts to that imaginary superpower "friend".

And yes, me and my fiance will always call out when we see any establishment of the hate, and the demonization of groups, or people putting themselves above other groups, just like you just did above. It is attitudes like those that you just portrayed that make the world a worse place, and not a better place.

Humanitarians who are collectivists DO NOT want a better world. They are actually haters and destroyers who worship at the altar of ENVY.

Not saying that you are like this. I'm sure you value freedom, individual rights, and Capitalism. But other people...

Old 07-02-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:

You mean I don't understand your romantic revisionist impression of what a potlatch is, or was.

So let's revisit real history, not the Ayn Rand kind:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ans-showed-up/

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 07-02-2018 at 03:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies