Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 07:23 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

what's with all the crying about warehouse facilities? where else do you suggest they be placed?

there was a profound lack of tears when 0bama used the same type of facilities - why did the lacrimation only start now?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
My replies are in blue
Ugh. I hate when the replies are within the original post so I'm going to format it in a way that is easy to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25
This point has been addressed a MILLION times in this thread alone:
1. Children of prisoners are not taken to some warehouse facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj
Yes they are, they're called a group home or childrens shelter (been in some as a child myself).
Not all the time they aren't. And if kids ARE being kept in a warehouse-like facility instead of a dorm or home style facility, that is wrong and not something to emulate.

2. Children of prisoners often stay at their own home with the other parent or guardian.

Quote:
IF one can be found AND after a background check to ensure the placement is safe. In many of these cases the only known relatives are with the kids or back in the country of origin, or the kids are sent on their own. Of course if you'd like them released to just anyone...

And many times one can be found particularly if the other parent is in the picture. I've worked as a court-appointed advocate in the past. It was RARE to have to ship a child off to a facility.

3. Prisoners KNOW where their kids are and can often have supervised visits with them.

Quote:
Not always.
Yup. Please note the use of the phrase "can often." Often means not always.

4. Children of prisoners know where their parents are.

Quote:
In some cases, in others they're too young to understand it.
And? That doesn't negate the point that when kids are old enough to understand it (probably around age 5) they know where their parents are.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what's with all the crying about warehouse facilities? where else do you suggest they be placed?

there was a profound lack of tears when 0bama used the same type of facilities - why did the lacrimation only start now?
A dormitory-style building with access to fresh air and sunlight. Actual beds with actual pillows and blankets would be great. Allow counselors to engage with the children in a caring, kind way would be awesome too.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:36 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
No. I'm talking about the- Kidnapping of Children Trump Policy on immigration.
America is now synonymous with crimes against humanity . The reason doesn't matter once the ball is rolling.
So I repeat it is a crime against humanity to take children away from their parents as a matter of immigration / migration detterent. These persons, children and their respective parents, are subjected to psychological and emotional torture under Trumps policy. The greater treachery inflicted upon the children.
It has his name clearly written all over it. A very un manly thing to order.

It is also a crime against children to lock up Santa Claus.

Kidnapping? When American law breakers are separated from their kids by going to jail do you call it kidnapping? BS! There are no crimes against humanity in regards to illegal immigration. The parents were warned not to enter our country illegally or they'd go to jail and their kids can't go to jail with them. These kids have been put in comfortable places where there is food, water, exercise, etc.

You don't think that American kids suffer emotionally when one or both of their parents are hauled off to jail? What's the alternative? Allow their parents to go free because they have kids or put their kids in jail with them? Neither one is a good alternative.

I haven't a clue what you mean with your Santa Clause remark.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
A dormitory-style building with access to fresh air and sunlight. Actual beds with actual pillows and blankets would be great. Allow counselors to engage with the children in a caring, kind way would be awesome too.

That's what is happening, duh.

“Individual children are separated from their parents only when those parents cross the border illegally and are arrested,” he told Democratic Rep. Suzanne Bonamici of Oregon. “We can’t have children with parents who are in incarceration, so they are given to me. … So the best advice I have is, actually present yourself at a legal border crossing and make your case.”
Mr. Azar added that all children are given “medical care, full education, dental, vision. They’re provided athletics, meals.”

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...uprisings-acr/

Old 07-03-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
When your running for your life you dont always knock.

BP tells them USA is closed. Lie and illegal ...BP can't arbitrarily close the USA.

No one is saying don't question those entering. That IS their job until further notice ...by Congress. Not Jeff sessions. TRUMP AND Neilssen.

This is trumps tantrum of sneaking the car keys when mommy is asleep cause she said he couldn't use her car then crashes is and blames her !!!!
TRUMP is the one obstructing immigration reform by this spoiled brat move.
Trump the Obstructionist. 2016 - imprisonment for high crimes and misdemeaners

Most aren't running for their lives so stop drinking the bleeding heart liberal Kool-Aid. No, the BP is not telling them that the U.S. is closed. WTH are you talking about? Those seeking asylum at a port of entry (as they are supposed to do) are being told of late that we can't take anymore of them in because we have no more room to place them anywhere. Should we just let them in anyway? Many are entering our country illegally instead and they were forewarned not to do that.

Immigration reform? You mean amnesty, don't you? Of course Trump is opposed to that. That would mean allowing 11 million of them to retain American jobs and resources and they are a burden to our society. How is that fair to legal immigrants who came the right way? It's already been proven that amnesty only encourages more to come here to get in on the next amnesty.

Oh, knock off your melodramatics and unwarranted nasty labels of our president and start respecting the rule of law for a change.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:01 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
where do you propose to find a sufficient number of available facilities like this sufficient to house thousands?

Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The irony/hypocrisy is that there 2,700,000 children of parents in prison that are a American citizens and the liberals care zero about these 2.7M children. There are 400,00 children in foster care separated from their parents and they are American citizens and the liberals care nothing for these 400,000 children. There are 10,000 illegal immigrants children in custody who came across with smugglers and the liberals care nothing of this 10,000 kids execpt as illegals they care about them much more than the 2.7M children of parents incarcerated and 400,000 children in foster care. All care in the world though must be focused on the 2000 kids that illegally crashed our border with their illegal parents.
Prove it.

Prove that none of the foster parents caring for some of these children are liberals.

Prove that none of the foster parents who have cared for these children and then adopted them from foster care are liberals.

We'll wait.

I know that this is foreign concept to some but people are able to care about more than one thing at one time.
And a lot of those people care about all of the above 24/7, not just when they want to use those issues to deflect from something else.

I don't believe for a second that anyone who votes Republican cares one whit about any of the issues noted above.
The party that advocates for cuts to the safety net which includes cuts to social services for children in foster care has absolutely no business lecturing anyone about who or what groups anyone actually cares about.

None.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Oh look!!!

The Trump administration has been illegally detaining asylum seekers, in contravention to laws, treaties AND policy.

"A federal judge ruled on Monday that the Department of Homeland Security has violated its own policies by refusing to release most asylum-seekers from immigration detention even if they are likely to win their asylum case."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ers/753151002/

Who knew that the USA is a nation of laws, huh? Who knew!

The practical effect, according to attorneys who filed the lawsuit, is that the Trump administration can no longer use indefinite detention as a deterrent for would-be asylum seekers.

"This ruling means the Trump administration cannot use indefinite detention as a weapon to punish and deter asylum seekers," said Michael Tan, senior staff attorney with the ACLU’s Immigrants’ Rights Project.
Thank you for posting this.

"...violated its own policies..."

Anyone surprised?

I'm sure not.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:10 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The irony/hypocrisy is that there 2,700,000 children of parents in prison that are a American citizens and the liberals care zero about these 2.7M children. There are 400,00 children in foster care separated from their parents and they are American citizens and the liberals care nothing for these 400,000 children. There are 10,000 illegal immigrants children in custody who came across with smugglers and the liberals care nothing of this 10,000 kids execpt as illegals they care about them much more than the 2.7M children of parents incarcerated and 400,000 children in foster care. All care in the world though must be focused on the 2000 kids that illegally crashed our border with their illegal parents.
I found your source and I think the 2.7 million is a typo because when I went to footnotes I found a link to this:
Quote:
An estimated 809,800 prisoners of the 1,518,535 held in the nation’s prisons at midyear 2007 were parents of minor children, or children under age 18. https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/pptmc.pdf
Still a large number but you are trying to say that is worse than immigrant children being separated from their parents and it's not, it's entirely different. Immigrant children are immediately separated from the parent, they aren't told where the child is going and they don't give the parent an opportunity to try to find a relative or friend to care for the child while the parent is held indefinitely and usually not allowed or able to post bond.

When a citizen is arrested with their child present, the arresting officer asks them who can pick up the child, if they can't contact anyone the child is turned over to CPS who will continue to make an effort to place the child with a friend or relative. After a citizen is arrested they are eligible for bond or released on a promise to appear. So in almost all cases they are separated from their child for a few hours or at most a few days.

Criminal cases take months or even years to resolve, and the parent is with the child during the legal process and will have ample time to make arrangements for someone to care for their child if they end up serving a jail or a prison term. If they fail to find someone, CPS will place the child in foster care while the parent is incarcerated and will order the foster parents to ensure the child has regular contact with their parent through visits or phone calls.

So in spite of the shocking numbers there is really no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies