Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 07:45 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,275,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I seriously don't understand this; you can choose to renounce your citizenship and never pay taxes ever again. Ok, you didn't consent to becoming a citizen when you were born, but you can't consent to anything at that age. So now you either do something about or you don't.

The extent of my political involvement is arguing with people on CD and voting, but at least I'm doing something.
Holy Mary mother of God!

Did you clear the bold with your elected officials? You can't take a dump on the social contract like that. Next thing you know you'll understand that consent can't be given when you have a gun to your head.

You radical!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 07:53 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,032,560 times
I think there is a disparity with who pays for what they have. A 1400 SF house on a 70x100 might pay $3000 but that same 1400 SF house on 10 acres can pay the same $3000 IF the owner has a few cows roaming around on the 10 acres.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:01 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,764,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Holy Mary mother of God!

Did you clear the bold with your elected officials? You can't take a dump on the social contract like that. Next thing you know you'll understand that consent can't be given when you have a gun to your head.

You radical!
Did you consent to being born? Did you consent to your parents coercing you to do things as a toddler?

I'll just make a thread about this some day.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Did you consent to being born? Did you consent to your parents coercing you to do things as a toddler?

I'll just make a thread about this some day.
I gave everyone hell.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:09 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,504,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Based on what moral standard do you come up with this idea? If I want to horde something, how is that your business? Why do you put a gun on my head and force me to pay taxes on stuff I own?
Do you notice that only 'No Recess' agrees with you in this thread?.....

Old 05-07-2018, 08:17 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,170,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I mean, I don't think the Founders would like the idea of having to pay the government a sum of money, in some places as high as $15K/year, for the privilege of owning their own house, and that if they didn't pay, the government could take their paycheck or even the house itself.
I don't think you will ever be able to live independently so you don't need to worry about paying taxes. Or, you'll end up shooting people in your local mall before the police put you out of your misery. I'm done.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:14 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,732,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact I do think it's normal, as in usual, typical, and/or expected for an American property owner. The first federal estate tax was signed into law in 1797 by President John Adams, and failure to pay that tax did result in loss of property and sometimes even imprisonment. (Thankfully, our country doesn't do that last thing any longer.) There has never been a time in my life, my parents' lives, or my now-deceased grandparents' lives when property taxes were not part and parcel of homeownership.

Oh, and I'd also like to point out that my county and many others in my state offer a property tax exemption program for low-income seniors and disabled residents, so help is out there for those who need it.
But you did not provide your logic for it, just reached back to 1797 about it. I want to know your own opinion on the items I described in my previous post. You did not address them. Plus, you just referred to the taxes itself, my argument has nothing to do with the tax, just how it is collected. Specifically;

-you think it is normal for it to be paid according to the value of the home? why?
-that the tax does not factor in the ability to pay, the only tax to do so?
-that the tax has nothing to do with the services used?
-that the tax can increase/decreased based off of things beyond your control (as in your home value)

Old 05-07-2018, 09:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,299,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But you did not provide your logic for it, just reached back to 1797 about it. I want to know your own opinion on the items I described in my previous post. You did not address them. Plus, you just referred to the taxes itself, my argument has nothing to do with the tax, just how it is collected. Specifically;

-you think it is normal for it to be paid according to the value of the home? why?
-that the tax does not factor in the ability to pay, the only tax to do so?
-that the tax has nothing to do with the services used?
-that the tax can increase/decreased based off of things beyond your control (as in your home value)
If you can come up with an alternative method of distributing the costs of community assets, programs, and amenities to the residents who benefit from them, I'm all ears.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
If you can come up with an alternative method of distributing the costs of community assets, programs, and amenities to the residents who benefit from them, I'm all ears.
Privatize everything. Pay to play.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:35 PM

8,140 posts, read 6,875,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No, it's armed robbery.

Having property tax literally means no private property.
Absolutely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies