Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:13 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
72,000 > 2,500?
IDK. Would you want 72,000 dollars of cheetos or 2,5000 in cash? Not everyone wants a degree or is inclined or study for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
IDK. Would you want 72,000 dollars of cheetos or 2,5000 in cash? Not everyone wants a degree or is inclined or study for one.
That is not the issue.

The issue is if Wendell Carter of Duke is a Slave.

In other words, can you equate this star basketball player and soon to be multimillionaire with the likes of Kunta Kinte, Spartacus, Nat Turner, and the scores of Jews who were forced to work for the Germans before being gassed.

The answer is clearly a big, fat, resounding NO, but that has not stopped an array of people ranging from desertdetroiter to the soon-to-be millionaire's mother from arguing that the young man is indeed a slave.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:48 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What does he then have to show for those four years making other people boatloads of money?
A degree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Maybe that doesn't happen as much as it used to, but I'm still suspicious about the "value" of whatever degree they may acquire after spending the majority of their college careers training and playing.
Like any other degree, the "value" depends on what the student has put into earning it. Any student who skips class and copies answers on a test isn't going to get as much out of his or her college experience as the student who does the work. And because many student-athletes have a wealth of tutoring and other resources available to them to help them with their studies, there's really no reason why they shouldn't be able to earn some value for their degrees (that is, if they stay in college long enough to earn one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Now there has been some debate on giving athletes a small sum of money ( a few hundred bucks a month) just for entertainment and leisure, do to the fact their schedules are so heavy they have no chance to earn any pocket change. Since that includes all athletes in all sports it would only be fair that all athletes get compensated equally.
I don't see why the NCAA or anyone else would have a problem with that - a kid's gotta be able to afford a Saturday night brew.

A lot of the basketball players at my alma mater - a mid-major Division I school - had work-study jobs on the off-season. You'd see them clerking at the library, checking IDs at the rec center, and even vacuuming floors in the dorms. But that's a different world altogether from big Division I schools like Duke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Wanna guess how much Duke's president pulls in a year. $1.2 million.
That's really not out of line, given Duke's budget and the responsibilities of running a huge university. Just think what s/he'd be paid if s/he were running a for-profit organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m going with Walter Byers’ opinion over yours. Why?
Because you know you have no other argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Most of them major in and earn their degree in sports-related fields such as Athletic Training, Sports Communication, etc., and if they end up not going pro, get a job at their alma mater, another school, or a with a pro team
And there's really nothing wrong with that. Sports management is a huge field with plenty of opportunity. If the student athlete actually earns a degree and puts some effort into the earning, more power to him or her.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:55 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
For the record, I did play a D1 sport in college and am well versed in the NCAA and its rules when you're a student athlete. From the school itself, the compensation of tuition, room, and board is more than enough "payment" regardless of how much the student athlete is generating for the school.

Here is where I think the NCAA should relax the rules - personal endorsements. The USOC used to be this way as well. You are not allowed to get any endorsements from companies if you wanted to retain student athlete or amateur (respectively) status. The USOC finally relaxed these rules and I think the NCAA should as well. The student athlete would not be getting paid by the school itself and would only be gaining those endorsements based on the individual and they could have rules about appearing in school identifying equipment, uniforms, etc.

Boosters are a HUGE part of D1 sports and more times than not, the ones involved in violations (and obviously the student athlete). Allowing individual endorsement deals would both remove the temptation offered by boosters as well as significantly cut down on violations by student athletes. Bonus here too because those endorsements would also be known and taxable.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:56 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And there's really nothing wrong with that. Sports management is a huge field with plenty of opportunity. If the student athlete actually earns a degree and puts some effort into the earning, more power to him or her.
I totally agree. But that negates the "not getting paid" complaint. They're getting the opportunity to earn a college degree for free, a degree they can easily parlay into a career given their extensive sports program experience. At Duke, that free education is worth at least $73,000/year.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
I totally agree. But that negates the "not getting paid" complaint. They're getting the opportunity to earn a college degree for free, a degree they can easily parlay into a career given their extensive sports program experience. At Duke, that free education is worth at least $73,000/year.
The college degree, plus housing and food, tutoring, etc. etc. etc. I agree with you there - student athletes on a scholarship absolutely are getting paid. Just because some dumb mom doesn't see it that way doesn't make it so.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
You gotta love American society.

On one hand we have loads of people and a few politicians preaching how college is unaffordable, out of reach, and not worth it.

On the other hand we have at least some people who see guys going to college for free while doing something they love and term them slaves with all due seriousness.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:06 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
ooooo yes shut down basketball and all sports all together. Rich white people are taking advantage of black people. GO LIBERALS!!!!

One thing.. Michael Jordon is a owner and black.. so just call him a uncle tom and then it will be ok. Carry on with social justice liberals, slavery is real in the NCAA and all sports, paying people millions of dollars is unacceptable. :-)

Old 05-11-2018, 02:11 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
For the record, I did play a D1 sport in college and am well versed in the NCAA and its rules when you're a student athlete. From the school itself, the compensation of tuition, room, and board is more than enough "payment" regardless of how much the student athlete is generating for the school.

Here is where I think the NCAA should relax the rules - personal endorsements. The USOC used to be this way as well. You are not allowed to get any endorsements from companies if you wanted to retain student athlete or amateur (respectively) status. The USOC finally relaxed these rules and I think the NCAA should as well. The student athlete would not be getting paid by the school itself and would only be gaining those endorsements based on the individual and they could have rules about appearing in school identifying equipment, uniforms, etc.

Boosters are a HUGE part of D1 sports and more times than not, the ones involved in violations (and obviously the student athlete). Allowing individual endorsement deals would both remove the temptation offered by boosters as well as significantly cut down on violations by student athletes. Bonus here too because those endorsements would also be known and taxable.
Olympic athletes all play for the same team, so there's no competition to sign them. Personal endorsements in college would destroy competitiveness. You'd basically be removing all restraints from the boosters. Who is going to sign with Michigan State if every player who signs with Maryland gets a $50k deal from Under Armour or signing with Oregon gets them a $100k endorsement from Nike? Billionaires often use the college teams as proxies to compete with each other.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
“The problem that I see is not with the student-athletes, it’s not with the coaches or the institutions of higher learning but it’s with a system … where the laborers are the only people that are not being compensated for the work..."

I actually agree with the part of her statement bolded. football and basketball player athletes get little compensation compared to the millions and millions they generate for their university and their coaches. I have always thought college football and basketball athletes at very profitable athletic schools should receive a salary for playing ball.

How about this....we just do away with college sports and let the NFL and NBA can set up a minor league system for the athletes, and when the thousands and thousands of athletes who never make it to the professional level ultimately end their minor league careers, they can go work at McDonald's or drive a truck or stand around all day putting lids on bottles in some factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies