Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 03:13 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,463,076 times

Advertisements

Duke player's mother compares NCAA to slavery

Well then, she certainty won't want to be a part of it. Go somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 01:33 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,586,877 times
Thank God I went to Duke and graduated before the snowflakes showed up.

This mother is quite the hypocrite as she wanted Wendell to stay in college another year and not go pro, he decides to go pro, she now turns her rage at the college and the NCAA--total cluelessness on her part.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:45 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Thank God I went to Duke and graduated before the snowflakes showed up.

This mother is quite the hypocrite as she wanted Wendell to stay in college another year and not go pro, he decides to go pro, she now turns her rage at the college and the NCAA--total cluelessness on her part.
He decided to go pro because of an investigation into him getting a free lunch. The mother is wrong in what she said but so is worrying about a free lunch.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:56 AM

58,720 posts, read 27,056,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
“The problem that I see is not with the student-athletes, it’s not with the coaches or the institutions of higher learning but it’s with a system … where the laborers are the only people that are not being compensated for the work..."

I actually agree with the part of her statement bolded. football and basketball player athletes get little compensation compared to the millions and millions they generate for their university and their coaches. I have always thought college football and basketball athletes at very profitable athletic schools should receive a salary for playing ball.
"should receive a salary for playing ball."

If they receive a salary THEY SHOULD FORGO all SCHOLARSHIP MONEY.

They should have to PAY for the athletic training from the coaches they are getting which prepares them for the NBA/NFL.

How much do you think that is worth?

The salary should be LOWER then triple A baseball player get.

They should be REQUIRED to take the SAME classes ALL students take.

No more "special" classes for athletes.

NO more special "tutors" for athletes.

You have to maintain at LEAST a C average on ALL courses.

And don't even get me into the "special" treatment athletes get when it comes to the law.

Can't have it BOTH ways!

Old 05-12-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The founder of the NCAA system, Walter Byers, compared the NCAA to slavery too:

https://newrepublic.com/article/1200...heyre-jim-crow

So what do you folks place against that?
I agree, ABOLISH the racist NCAA

I'd bet you would get BLM, the NAACP and ALL the black athletes, to join you in protests.

The LSM would give it TONS of TV coverage.

All the alphabet TV station would talk about ad nauseam including ALL the late night "hosts".

Look at the coverage you would get.

You can trash the protest sights, throw bricks at police cares, break into all the local stores, set them on fire, etc. and leave them is a big mess. etc.

With all the practice you have gotten between Baltimore, Furgenson, etc, it should be a snap!

If we can tear down statues from over 150 year ago, ban Battle flags, that MIGHT remind some insecure black person about what happened over 150 year ago CERTAINLY an organization that started in the early 50's has to go!

THEN you can go after the NAACP, The National Association for the Advancement of COLORED people.

Why are THEY still allowed to us the word COLORED.

I thought that was another taboo word today.

They change so often, it is hard to keep up.

Hell, I think YOU should start the movement considering how you make EVERY issue on this sight racial.

P.S. I thin the NCAA will be gone form football in the next 5 yeas anyway.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Over $72k a year straight out of high school = slavery to this mom?
PLUS special tutoring and many other "percs"!

Old 05-12-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
According to Kanye, Slavery was a choice so her line of reasoning fits perfectly within that idea.
According to historical FACTS 50% or MORE of slaves became INDENTURED SERVANTS by their OWN FREE WILL.

So, I would be careful with the snide remarks.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:02 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,778,230 times
She's right. The athletes should be paid and handsomely. No one goes to watch Nick Saban pace the sidelines or watches TV to see Mike Krzyzewski argue with refs. They watch to see the players. It's the players who make the money for these colleges and everyone makes tons of money except them.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:11 AM

16,388 posts, read 8,471,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Over $72k a year straight out of high school = slavery to this mom?

The hyperbole & rhetoric from the left shows how devoid and bereft of ideas and thought process they are.
Bill Maher, a leftist in his own right, said as much when every time Trump said or did something, Pelosi & Co were saying it was Armageddon.
He correctly said that "when everything is Armageddon, nothing is Armageddon".
For some of the dimwits who don't understand what he meant, look up "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" fable.

When you think of the earning power a college degree gets you (provided you pick a normal major) beyond room, board, food, tuition, etc., it comes to much more than $72k per year these athletes receive.

`

Old 05-12-2018, 07:15 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
The hyperbole & rhetoric from the left shows how devoid and bereft of ideas and thought process they are.
Bill Maher, a leftist in his own right, said as much when every time Trump said or did something, Pelosi & Co were saying it was Armageddon.
He correctly said that "when everything is Armageddon, nothing is Armageddon".
For some of the dimwits who don't understand what he meant, look up "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" fable.

When you think of the earning power a college degree gets you (provided you pick a normal major) beyond room, board, food, tuition, etc., it comes to much more than $72k per year these athletes receive.

`
So you use an argument from the "left" to show how the "left" is bereft of ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies