Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 AM

52,536 posts, read 34,259,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Keep up with this nonsense. You are a whisper away from "racist" having absolutely no meaning.
they don't care. they addicted to the term and will proceed to use it right into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You and I are talking at cross purposes. You are, without any data, claiming that all those OOW births don't matter because "dad" is around. And I will grant you that your cousin's example is one that is a good one, dad is and has been around. But the reality for most isn't exemplified by her but , rather, dad is either not present at all or so seldom seen that his impact is nil.

I don't know where to look for the numbers of OOW where the couple is a de facto permanent (or as near as possible) couple. But the reality, whether you like it or not, is that it's probably the exception rather than the rule.

I do believe you just called me a racist. Which is rich since I taught in a majority Black school system, with more than 20 of those years in majority Black schools. The one that wasn't was roughly 50/50 when I went there and was 92% Black when I retired. And never, not once, was I ever called that by anyone in all those years.
That actually isn't the exception is what I'm getting at. What I stated was correct in that by age 40 70% of black women are married and usually have been married to the father of their children. This is actually very common for blacks in America - have kids first, then get married, or just stay cohabiting for years and years at a time.

I didn't call you a racist lol. I rarely use the term unless someone displays a belief that any group of people based on ethnicty are inferior or superior to another group of people.

All I did was accuse you of not responding to what I said and the fact that what you posted had nothing to do with racial health disparities.

I do believe that liberals use the word "racism" too often and that it should not have been in the title of this piece. But I specifically said my point to you in my earlier post - that OOW birth statiscs are not indicative of the home life of that child or that they will be or have been raised by a single parent. More often than not, in black America, that is not the case. I know this based on work with public organizations of which I've been employed and based on being black and seeing it with my own eyes. It is especially not the case today (black children being "fatherless" to any wide degree). Maybe in the 1980s and 1990s but not today.

In my anecdotes to you, all the women I spoke of - my mom, myself, my 27 year old cousin, my college friend - we were/are all included in OOW birth statistics but none of us had children who were "fatherless" and all of us have been married to the father of our children. This scenario is much more common than you'd think.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:10 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You and I are talking at cross purposes. You are, without any data, claiming that all those OOW births don't matter because "dad" is around. And I will grant you that your cousin's example is one that is a good one, dad is and has been around. But the reality for most isn't exemplified by her but , rather, dad is either not present at all or so seldom seen that his impact is nil.

I don't know where to look for the numbers of OOW where the couple is a de facto permanent (or as near as possible) couple. But the reality, whether you like it or not, is that it's probably the exception rather than the rule.

I do believe you just called me a racist. Which is rich since I taught in a majority Black school system, with more than 20 of those years in majority Black schools. The one that wasn't was roughly 50/50 when I went there and was 92% Black when I retired. And never, not once, was I ever called that by anyone in all those years.

Here you go:

The Extent of Fatherlessness | National Center for Fathering

57.6% of black children, 31.2% of Hispanic children, and 20.7% of white children are living absent their biological fathers.
Source: Family Structure and Children’s Living Arrangements 2012. Current Population Report. U.S. Census Bureau July 1, 2012.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:08 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Here you go:

The Extent of Fatherlessness | National Center for Fathering

57.6% of black children, 31.2% of Hispanic children, and 20.7% of white children are living absent their biological fathers.
Source: Family Structure and Children’s Living Arrangements 2012. Current Population Report. U.S. Census Bureau July 1, 2012.
Not living with your father also is not indicative of being "fatherless." Many fathers are involved in their child's lives but are not married to or living with their father. My parents cohabited until I was 8 then they broke up and my dad lived around the corner and I saw him everyday basically.

Again, the idea that black children don't have fathers or involved fathers is a false idea. That was the point and that this has nothing to do with STDs and health disparities of which the OP article is about.

A majority of black children live with a parent or grandparent along with a cohabiting situation, which is reflected in both marriage rates of black women and in cohabiting statistics.

Black women co-habit longer than other women after they have children and about 50% of the time end up marrying the father of their child/children. Another 20% will marry a man not the father of their child/children and the majority of a child's years will be spent with the mother and her cohabiting with an SO either the biological father or not. It is also important to note that most black women in cohabiting situations, even for low income black women, they usually have 2 or less men that they cohabit with during the childhood years of their children so not a slew of various men in and out of the child's life.

There isn't a lot of studies done on black cohabitation but the few that are have shown what I stated above (and note these primarily focus on the lower income black population - my cousin is low income but my mom, myself, and my friends from college are not/were not when we married and usually there aren't any studies done on this with middle or upper income black co-habiting families - only primarily low income since people have the most pre-occupation with lower income segment of the black population it seems). Also that black women view marriage differently than other women do in regards to the oppressive nature of a patriarchal system/attitudes of men in general and black men in particular, which honestly, I'd agree with myself - as a black woman I have a similar view.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:22 PM

1,704 posts, read 746,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And the proof of this is that African-Africans do not experience any of these problems.
This statement is just one of your many nonsensical ones here on CD ...

You literally make no sense at all here!

Old 05-08-2018, 01:29 PM

15,593 posts, read 10,338,024 times
I volunteered at an std testing clinic years ago. people got an std because they didn't use a condom....duh.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:31 PM

50,153 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I volunteered at an std clinic years ago. people got stds because they didn't use a condom....duh.
Yep, including oral sex.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:54 PM

1,704 posts, read 746,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I want to disagree but the statistics sadly support this.

Not true. The welfare system that subsidize and incentivized single parent households did. Kids are growing up in fatherless home due to the financial benefits. With 2 income earner in the house, welfare gets cut and more money taxed. Therefore it doesn't take Einstein to know why single parent household are so prevalent in the black community, you can thank the welfare state for these catastrophic unintended consequences.

Not true, again the explosion of welfare in the 1960s was catastrophic to the black nuclear family who had been making great progress up to that point.

At this point you just have to hope for survival of the fittest. The blacks who are smart enough to make it out of these environments need to reproduce more than the blacks stuck in this environment. I'm just being honest. It's 2018, these problems should've died back when Obama was in office. Crime, STDs, is this the 1980s or something during the crack epidemic?
I really do detest having to confront you on these matters here on CD, but do you actually realize the essence of what you're contending here?

Let's get one thing straight once and for all!

Racism did NOT suddenly disappear or disintegrate immediately after after the formal emancipation of African slaves in in here in America.

Furthermore, racism also didn't evaporate into thin air after the Civil Rights Movement or LBJ's initiatives to legislate the Civil Rights of African-Americans in this country.

In many ways racism is just as pervasive and debilitating as it ever was in this country. Racism continues to thrive within American industry, education, and housing. This rise in the Alt-Right movement is a clear indicator of this fact.

Racism nor its deleterious effects didn't just suddenly end in the 50's, the 60's, the 80's, or 90's...

Racism just became more insidious, clandestine, and deceptive. However, it remained steadfast in its decimating course of continual terror.

No matter how much education, wealth, or class African-Americans can establish, apparently there will always be a segment of white society that will claim racial superiority and entitlement over people of color. That especially goes for African-Americans!

Please! Just stop it!

It's seems entirely too obvious for your intellectual potential to ignore...

Old 05-08-2018, 03:27 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times
For the love of God.

These kids have free internet at school and at the library and at McDonald's and...

How much more access can you give them? Those of us who grew up in the stone age had to figure all this stuff out on our own. These internet machine thingies got everything...including pics!

Quote:
Neighborhoods where people of color reside, for example, are more likely to be pollution-ridden and have fewer parks and doctors — factors that directly affect people’s health.
Never got herpes from bad air quality. Also never got gonorrhea from not having access to a teeter totter. Uber and Lyft will give you a free ride to the doctor. It's on their apps...and the government gives everyone poor enough a phone!

I mean...enough is enough with this racist crap.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:36 PM

25,803 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Pathetic. They are doing what the parents should be doing, teaching these kids about sex.

Teaching them morals, taking them to church, having them volunteer to help the less fortunate are all free lessons expected of parents. People have to get these Democratic freakshows our od their children’s lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies