Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:40 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
No big deal. I usually peruse the first 10 or so posts but I can't find time to read all the posts in a thread sometimes either.

However, I do think the key thing here is that the headline is misleading. Not just this one. People take one line of a report and make that the basis of fact but without the context. And it happens everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in this case, we didn't hear Rush Limbaugh talking about how tax receipts are up by 4% with complete disregard to the meaning of it. The liberal media would do the same given the chance. Gah, I hate it. Can't even read the news these days.
How is the headline misleading? The article heading is generic - Monthly Budget Review.

The thread title says tax receipts are up. That's true as well. I didn't says debts or deficits were falling.

What's misleading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 07:50 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude2013 View Post
Democrats dont run on small government.... the GOP does and they keep treating their supporters like fools.

The GOP controls government, so you should be calling out them but you arent.... you are excited like the same fools were under Bush Jr when we cut taxes and greatly increased spending.
What are you talking about? I did call out that SOME (not all) of the GOP want big government.

Usually the general take is the GOP in general wants small government. That's not true for all... but some do want smaller government.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How is the headline misleading? The article heading is generic - Monthly Budget Review.

The thread title says tax receipts are up. That's true as well. I didn't says debts or deficits were falling.

What's misleading?
The thread title isn't misleading?

Quote:
More Trump Success... Tax Receipts Up Significantly in 2018
That's pretty much exactly what misleading is. Here, let me start with bias and then an out-of-context statistic to support it.

It would be accurate if the thread title was "Tax Receipts going up slower than spending." But that headline would have 2 replies instead of the misleading headline that garnered 60+.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:06 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
What does it matter? They keep spending more than they take in.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:20 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Wait...people are actually CHEERING that they've taken in more stolen income?

Old 05-11-2018, 05:22 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Usually the general take is the GOP in general wants small government. That's not true for all... but some do want smaller government.
The number of GOP Congress members who actually believe in smaller government can be counted on two hands.

Rand Paul, Justin Amash, Thomas Massie, Mike Lee, Walter Jones, and couple others that escape me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies