Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you ban?
Gun number A should be banned. 3 50.00%
Gun number B should be banned. 1 16.67%
Gun number C should be banned. 2 33.33%
Gun number D should be banned. 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Whether it's for hunting, home defense or I'm the next ******* school shooter, I'd choose the Garand. Massive slug, excellent power, accurate, quick and easy to slap 8 more bullets in there, pre-loaded clips are very easy to carry around.

One of the better guns ever made IMHO. But most people who don't know guns will take one look and mistake it for a hunting rifle.
There was a movie long ago w/ Gene Hackman as an aging Marine Sarge working with a crew of young Marines. While they all had ARs, he refused to tote anything other than his Garand. And it was not uncommon in various actions for guys to insist on having an M-14, basically the updated version of the Garand. In the book Blackhawk Down (Somalia) there is a guy in there who insists on packing an M-14 instead of an AR. It was even more common in Afghanistan because of the terrain, and need for range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 07:46 PM

923 posts, read 494,756 times
E. None of the above due to "..shall not be infringed"

Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There was a movie long ago w/ Gene Hackman as an aging Marine Sarge working with a crew of young Marines. While they all had ARs, he refused to tote anything other than his Garand. And it was not uncommon in various actions for guys to insist on having an M-14, basically the updated version of the Garand. In the book Blackhawk Down (Somalia) there is a guy in there who insists on packing an M-14 instead of an AR. It was even more common in Afghanistan because of the terrain, and need for range.
Yeah definitely much love for the Garand. A 30-6 slug on full auto with a 8 round clip. I can certainly understand wanting to hang onto the gun with the bigger boom when the military is trying to hand you a glorified .22 rifle. The AR-15 is alright, but the hype around it is completely over the top.

The way a lot of Dems go on about the thing, you'd think the AR-15 could kill God.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
E. None of the above due to "..shall not be infringed"
I'm with you, but for those who have an overwhelming urge to ban guns, I'm curious which one they'll choose.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:09 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times
Quote:
Yeah definitely much love for the Garand. A 30-6 slug on full auto with a 8 round clip. I can certainly understand wanting to hang onto the gun with the bigger boom when the military is trying to hand you a glorified .22 rifle. The AR-15 is alright, but the hype around it is completely over the top.

The way a lot of Dems go on about the thing, you'd think the AR-15 could kill God.

I though the killing GOD was funny comment was funny. The AR-15 is a good overall rifle, but it is not the end all beat all.

Having owned the AR-15 and the FN PS-90, I prefer the FN PS-90, smaller overall size, better for close quarters. Better use of design ergonomics', a capable round and larger capacity.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:36 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
I'd ban B because it's photo shopped.

a real Garand isn't that ugly.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:09 PM

31,006 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I though the killing GOD was funny comment was funny. The AR-15 is a good overall rifle, but it is not the end all beat all.

Having owned the AR-15 and the FN PS-90, I prefer the FN PS-90, smaller overall size, better for close quarters. Better use of design ergonomics', a capable round and larger capacity.
Considering you can have an AR in almost any round, including the FN 5.7, any length barrel, also in pistol, Carbine and rifle configurations, it gives you a lot more options than a PS=90, and I really like the PS-90. I don't think of the AR being the God killer of all rifles, but there are so many parts available, and so much support for the AR it's kind of hard not to justify having one in your collection.

Back to the Question, I would say, get rid of the AK, as it's a Comey gun

Old 05-09-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post

Some people actually do take their AR-15 deer hunting. I'd never trust the thing to drop a deer, particularly a mule deer. Sure it's a high velocity round, but it's also tiny. Anything up to and including a white tail probably works for the AR. I think I'd prefer the M-1 Garand or a legal version of the M-14 because I can trust it to kill big game at range, it's semi-auto and it offers much the same versatility people love about the AR-15.

I just get so amused by folks who are like, "There's no reason that anybody needs a weapon as powerful as an AR-15." If they actually believe it's an overpowered rifle, they're idiots. It's a rifle that fires small rounds, so you fit more rounds in a clip. And sure, it'll kill people just fine I guess but given the choice I'd rather be shot with an AR-15 than an M-1 Garand. Better chance I'll survive the AR. And out of the four guns in the original post, the one I'd least like to get shot by is definitely the semi-automatic shotgun -- but for some reason, your gun grabbers never say much about shotguns.

I do love the look of the FN PS-90. It's always reminded me of some futuristic space weapon. Never shot one though. Looks like a short barrel. How is it at longer range? Same rounds as the AR? Caliber looks like it's about the same.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Considering you can have an AR in almost any round, including the FN 5.7, any length barrel, also in pistol, Carbine and rifle configurations, it gives you a lot more options than a PS=90, and I really like the PS-90. I don't think of the AR being the God killer of all rifles, but there are so many parts available, and so much support for the AR it's kind of hard not to justify having one in your collection.

Back to the Question, I would say, get rid of the AK, as it's a Comey gun
The AK is actually the only gun shown that comes in a full-auto version so that's the logical choice in my book. Now if the things were a little more accurate, they might get a lot more love from gun enthusiasts. Still, under present laws, the full-auto AK is the one most of us can't buy. The rest of them, no problem, especially the BB gun.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:58 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
...the full-auto AK is the one most of us can't buy.
But you can 3D print one!

And the technology is just going to get better and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies