Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:38 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Brown soon got a call from Roberts, who asked her and other employees to pay careful attention to the music. She was fired on Monday, she said. "They pretty much said that Duke wanted them to terminate us, and that there was nothing that they could do and that their hands were tied," Brown said.

Looks like the decision may have come from higher up, which would mean it would be more likely to be adherence to school policy rather than the result of a judgement call.
Well if he just let it go would it then mean he approves of using the n-word? Wouldn't that make him, as a white man racist?

Hey he was in the coffee shop, listening to the n-word. He's such a racist he didn't even say anything to get them to stop??

The stupid makes all these situations impossibly difficult to navigate. The right decision is not to play carp like that in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:50 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
Nobody wants to hear that garbage when they're trying to get coffee. I don't think they should have been fired though.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:54 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
There is an awesome place I go to, to get food at downtown that blasts rap music. I guess it’s part of their spiel, but it’s awkard as heck when there are young kids in line and the N-word and curse words are being blasted. The worst part is it’s all hipster white guys that work there. I usually give them a funny look, but I keep going back because their food is good. They have to know that it’s not professional though, and many families and business people frequent this place since it’s right downtown, smh.
younger white people are the main ones who buy that garbage. LOL

Old 05-10-2018, 11:43 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
If it was anywhere but a hyper-liberal high-end private school campus where this woman enjoys racial privilege in regard to how much behavioral latitude she is given, many people in this nation, as customers, would have said something to her. Normal people don't want to hear that nonsense, and normal employees wouldn't think that playing it would be acceptable nor normal.

Integration does not entail accepting the worst of the other's culture. Such language in a public business space is roundly held to be unacceptable.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:53 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
LOL...if they heard that song coming out of a party of some Duke frat there would also have been protests....but not in support of them but against them for playing degrading, racist music that objectifies women etc. etc. etc.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:02 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
I've been listening to hip-hop for 30 years, and they weren't playing hip-hop. They were playing "trap," which is the equivalent of bad 70s disco and bad 80s hair metal.

Hip-hop has been dead for over a decade. What passes as "rap" nowadays is mostly a bunch of suburban kids--of all races--pretending they're big coke dealers from the hood. There's no longer any storytelling or any discernible mic skills.

THIS is real hip-hop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvMCA9jHFZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW3h3tk3iME

Old 05-10-2018, 12:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Young Dolph latest album titled

“Nigg*as get shot everyday “

Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I've been listening to hip-hop for 30 years, and they weren't playing hip-hop. They were playing "trap," which is the equivalent of bad 70s disco and bad 80s hair metal.

Hip-hop has been dead for over a decade. What passes as "rap" nowadays is mostly a bunch of suburban kids--of all races--pretending they're big coke dealers from the hood. There's no longer any storytelling or any discernible mic skills.
I agree, hip-hop was something much different then compared to what they classify as hip-hop today. Years ago we used to go out dancing every Friday and Saturday night to hip-hop clubs. None of the music they played had the type of lyrics and sex that they have in them today.

Has anyone actually watched the video to the song in question that this Starbucks was playing in it at the time the faculty member went in? Totally disgusting. I'm guessing this type of thing is part of the modern day thug mating ritual. Really think about it. What type of mentality finds it entertaining?

Watch at your own discretion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG8PHriMMOA

Old 05-10-2018, 12:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
From his song Slave Owner

Where is metoo or women’s movement on this ?

—-

Ballin' in Chiraq like I'm coach Phil (Phil Jackson)
Drop a pill in her drink like Bill (whoa)
Smash her on the first night, I bet I will (uh-huh)
You wanna get in this car, take off them heels (take them off)

Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 PM

586 posts, read 314,030 times
Nothing new here. Certain groups think that they have rights that don't actually exist. Employment is at the will of the employer and the employer makes the rules about certain things. If the employee doesn't like it they can find employment elsewhere. Before you persist in playing "music" that offends paying customers, you might want to memorize the address of the unemployment office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies