Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 04:44 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I truly don't know. But consider this.

-Kim is one of the worst heads of state on the planet. Normally, we'd maybe send a Secretary of State. If only we had a Secretary of State with any experience and standing! But should we really honor a rogue leader with a presidential visit?

-Given that Trump is such an unstable, rude guy, is it really safe for any negotiations to put him in a position where he may cause the whole thing to go up in flames?

-Since North Korea has a history of promising changes to get concessions, and then failing to do as promised, and since Trump is very gullible, especially when he's preening, isn't this likely that it'll just create even bigger problems?
We'll see. I don't trust either of them as far as I can throw them.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:59 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I truly don't know. But consider this.

-Kim is one of the worst heads of state on the planet. Normally, we'd maybe send a Secretary of State. If only we had a Secretary of State with any experience and standing! But should we really honor a rogue leader with a presidential visit?

-Given that Trump is such an unstable, rude guy, is it really safe for any negotiations to put him in a position where he may cause the whole thing to go up in flames?

-Since North Korea has a history of promising changes to get concessions, and then failing to do as promised, and since Trump is very gullible, especially when he's preening, isn't this likely that it'll just create even bigger problems?
It's a great idea with risks. If the meeting doesn't go well, it will be bad but I doubt worse than if they hadn't met. The upside potential is massive.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
They only go to the table when they need something,

The tide may be turning and he's looking out for his own neck, NK has depended on isolating it's people from the rest of the world. In this age that becomes more difficult each day, you can carry a copy of every newspaper ever published for the last 100 years on a key ring.

As more people in NK become aware of what is going on outside of NK, in particular the prosperity of SK, his hold on power becomes more tenuous.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:13 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Either way -- Kim is a nut job and expecting him to act in a logical, rational, compassionate, caring manner is absolutely freak'n crazy.
Who is expecting Kim to be compassionate or caring?

I would say this is better than was what going on with the threats of Kim attacking all the countries around him and increased missile testing. We will see what happens.

For the Obama fans out there what was Obama's greatest foreign policy achievement? The Iran deal or something else in your opinion? Because I can't recall much of anything that would compare to de nuking N. Korea.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:23 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The tide may be turning and he's looking out for his own neck, NK has depended on isolating it's people from the rest of the world. In this age that becomes more difficult each day, you can carry a copy of every newspaper ever published for the last 100 years on a key ring.

As more people in NK become aware of what is going on outside of NK, in particular the prosperity of SK, his hold on power becomes more tenuous.
I am sure some of that gets through. But Kim has the whole country brainwashed with propaganda that N. Korea is the most prosperous country on earth and they for the most part they accept that.

There is a Dennis Rodman documentary on his N. Korea basketball game that is online. Interesting stuff with all that is happening now. I did not realize it was easy to fly in and out of there as long as you are not N. Korean.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I am sure some of that gets through. But Kim has the whole country brainwashed with propaganda that N. Korea is the most prosperous country on earth and they for the most part they accept that.

There is a Dennis Rodman documentary on his N. Korea basketball game that is online. Interesting stuff with all that is happening now. I did not realize it was easy to fly in and out of there as long as you are not N. Korean.
Did you ever think that maybe people in the US have been brainwashed about Kim and North Korea too?

Old 05-11-2018, 05:40 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
One of the dangers of Trump going personally, so quickly to have this meeting is that, if things do not go well, Trump has nothing left to push Kim on. If Trump had eased into this negotiation by diplomatic means for a while and then used the fruits of those to hold a finalization meeting, it might have given us some options in case Kim says "Go to Hell". Once this meeting wraps up, Trump will have no further leverage on Kim.

But, like everything else Trump does, he charges in like a bull in a china shop, and he ignores the best advice of people who understand these things. Trump has that Peace Prize thing on his mind, and thinks it is like having The Apprentice renewed for another season.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:46 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I don't seem to recall there being trials etc. to determine if those held at Gitmo were actually terrorists. Can you point me to where that happened? If they didn't, they are not terrorists.
You don't need a trial when they are caught fighting our guys on the battlefield. Did the prisoners in POW camps in ANY war get trials right away before they were kept? No, they didn't.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:49 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:

I’m not sure the whole country is brainwashed. Cowed for sure. Kind of smart to act like you love Dear Leader when they could imprison you or kill you and/or your family members.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:53 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Who is expecting Kim to be compassionate or caring?

I would say this is better than was what going on with the threats of Kim attacking all the countries around him and increased missile testing. We will see what happens.

For the Obama fans out there what was Obama's greatest foreign policy achievement? The Iran deal or something else in your opinion? Because I can't recall much of anything that would compare to de nuking N. Korea.
The gullibility and ignorance to the facts of Trump fans is astonishing. Trump lies and takes credit for **** all the time and we all know it. You don't recall this?
Quote:
Trump says North Korea agreed to denuclearize. It hasn't.

April 22, 2018

Trump on Sunday claimed North Korea has agreed to "denuclearization" before his potential meeting with Kim Jong Un. But that's not the case.

North Korea said Friday it would suspend nuclear tests and intercontinental ballistic missile launches ahead of summits with the U.S. and South Korea. Kim also said a nuclear test site would be closed and "dismantled" now that the country has learned how to make nuclear weapons and mount warheads on ballistic rockets.

But the North has stopped short of saying it has any intention of abandoning its nuclear arsenal, with Kim making clear that nukes remain a "treasured sword."

Trump nonetheless tweeted Sunday that the North has "agreed to denuclearization (so great for World), site closure, & no more testing!"

https://www.wokv.com/news/national-g...f9H1qB3SA63oJ/
And there is this...
Quote:
That's One Reason To Suspend Nuclear Tests: North Korea's Most Recent Blast Collapsed a Mountain
North Korea Nuclear Tests Collapsed an Entire Mountain | Fortune

Last edited by sickofnyc; 05-11-2018 at 06:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies