Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 05:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Here's another example from the Cato book, written by a guy named Radley Balko:

Quote:
]The Baker Family: [O]n September 30, 2005, police in Stockbridge, Georgia, conducted a no knock raid on the home of Roy and Belinda Baker. Officers broke down the couple’s front door with a battering ram and tossed in flashbang grenades. The police held the couple at gunpoint, handcuffed them, and then sent them out onto their porch, only partially clothed. Police ruined a family Bible and antique coffee table during the raid. The raiding officers eventually realized the intended target of their raid lived next door. Police Chief Russ Abernathy called the raid “inexcusable” and “not acceptable” and blamed poor street lighting for the mistaken address. But Abernathy added that no one would be fired and that the raids would go on...."
The book has scores of such examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 10:18 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
At some point, it becomes the publics fault...for allowing law enforcement to become this way, especially when we have the right under the constitution to remove their authority.

I really believe when DEA finagled their way between patient and doctor, in relation to what drugs the doctor may prescribe, (opioids mostly), this is when people should have stood up and fought back, if they do not fear what the people may do just a little bit, of course they are going to become as tyrannical as they can be! Its a no brainer!

This is one reason why I dont think we have seen any major uprisings or another revolution, police/ law enforcement, would be the first line of defense the people meet, and no matter what you believe, 24/7 news coverage of citizens in gun battles with police in the streets, would look a little too much like domestic terrorism for many!

Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 AM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Did you watch the Daniel Shaver video? There's no way he, or anyone else, could've followed the cop's convoluted barking orders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBUUx0jUKxc
True, but that was the fault of the supervisor giving the orders. As I said, different tactics should've been used, however in the literal sense of the term, they were justified in shooting him.

Quote:
It's also frankly disgusting that you think a 6 year-old boy killed by reckless cops is simply "unfortunate."
I didn't mean unfortunate in a dismissive way. I was merely saying that it wasn't the officer's intention.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So why do they make up stories and lie on official reports if they're just following rules? If the rules say I can punch you in the face for no reason, why would I need to make up a story about you provoking me to justify punching you in the face?
Evidence they do it on a regular basis?

Old 05-13-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I lived in one of those "civilized countries" in Western Europe.

There is no 12% of the population that provides most of the violent crime.
There are no much guns in the hands of the citizenry.
Cops are not murdered every week.
In another country where I lived there is a unwritten law among the criminals that police is off limits.

It's not like this in USA.
Plus "police brutally" doesn't exist over there. The riot police over there are brutal and the Italy have a police force not to be messed with.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:56 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
the police didn't decide they could seize assets, politicians did. When you don't know the basics, fruitless discussing it.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:11 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Sean Hannity is just one example. Spend any time listening to him and you will hear the fawning praise of police. With the current FBI controversies, he says over and over that the 'line' FBI people are just great, and that they are upset about the Muellers, Lisa Pages, and Peter Strzoks. This of course ignores almost 100 years of sordid FBI history, from Hoover to Richard Jewel.
One example? Hannity? I guess you come up with some doozies when you see a black man commit a crime right?
Conservative, from the word conserve. Use less of. Against tyranny. Why in the world do you think we are against gun laws? So we can shoot a burglar 100 times or is it also to defend ourselves against tyranny?
Same reason we're against tha Patriot Act and spying.

Someone who eats meat twice a week can claim they are a vegan. Doesn't make it true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I hear the fawning all the time on local conservative talk radio. When someone calling in self-IDs as a cop, the talk host invariably goes into obsequious-mode. Not all of them, but many of them.
Why do you think it's okay to not be polite? Should people automatically be rude to a cop who calls in? Is it because all or most cops are bad?
I call out law enforcement all the time. They're human, in a tough job and I'm not going to treat them like they are dog crap as a whole.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:20 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the police didn't decide they could seize assets, politicians did. When you don't know the basics, fruitless discussing it.
1. Police unions influenced the legislation.

2. Police officers are the ones who physically carry out the seizures.

The Nuremberg Defense didn't work 73 years ago so we should put it to rest.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:29 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I lived in one of those "civilized countries" in Western Europe.

There is no 12% of the population that provides most of the violent crime.
There are no much guns in the hands of the citizenry.
Cops are not murdered every week.
In another country where I lived there is an unwritten law among the criminals that police is off limits.

It's not like this in USA.
So when the people in the place where you used to live, commit all those crimes, and they do, as long as they don't murder cops at the rate that it is done here, then they are civilized???

What it tells us, is your old place had more intelligent criminals who knew better than to mess with cops since that would draw unneeded attention. Flying under the radar is good practice but it doesn't mean one is civilized.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:17 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
To add to T0101E's answer, I will add they work for their union.

p.s. The SS worked for the politicians, too.

When the police start marching people into box cars and off to concentration camps, then you'll have a point.

Until then........ No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies