Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 07:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In 1789, the Moors were put on boats , or killed.
It was not part of the original plan, to have Satan and constant evil among us.
I'm not sure that slaughtering those here originally because they wouldn't just give over their land is what Jesus would have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 08:28 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
Many white people use their “Christianity” as a cloak for white supremacy. To give their racist views respectability. Their god is white supremacy, not the true God.

This tag is a wink and a nod to those who still harbor those views. Who still support the Confederate flag being a part of the state flag. Supports Confederate monuments all over the state and have official Confederate holidays in the state where the government shuts down to honor the Confederacy. And supports the laws, practices, and policies that attempt to disenfranchise some people while protecting others in the same state. The very laws, practices, and policies that have failed miserably and ensured that Mississippi is dead last in nearly everything.

Don’t be fooled. This tag is intended to resonate with the Ross Barnett “I love Mississippi” crowd. It’s a dog whistle to them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:33 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Many white people use their “Christianity” as a cloak for white supremacy. To give their racist views respectability. Their god is white supremacy, not the true God.
This is ironic considering that Jesus looked like an Arab not a Norwegian.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:36 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
This is ironic considering that Jesus looked like an Arab not a Norwegian.
You're speaking in reference to man's interpretation of how Jesus looks. No one living on this earth has seen Jesus. Do Jesus really exist?

Old 05-13-2018, 08:39 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
I think this is appropriate for the worst state in the nation!

https://www.clarionledger.com/story....ate/599071002/
That is a state that I NEVER want to visit in my lifetime. It is indeed pretty fitting for such a backwards state.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:42 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol Good to see you know whats best for the people of Mississippi. They should act more like you and do what you like and say. So according to you the state of Mississippi is ignoring Science, Education and Reason and Logic. Reason and logic, based on your posts, aresomething you need to practice yourself. Reason and logic tells one that doing the same thing that fails over and over again isn't using reason and logic, it's insanity.

The best part is you claiming the people in that state are the most immoral people of any state. Should they be taught that stealing the peoples money, which you support but onl for your causes, is moral? Of that backing your candidates who have no problem murdering innocents in the Middle East and constantly breaking their word is moral? I get it, you want to help but doing immoral things to we the people while claiming moral superiority is hypocritical, arrogant, and it doesn't work.
Well, MS did vote for Trump.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:20 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So quit defending them.
When did I did?

Old 05-13-2018, 09:31 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The key word is specialty. I don't have a problem with specialty "In God We Trust" license plates but it shouldn't be on the standard issue plate. Requiring people to pay more for a specialty plate that does NOT have it is discrimination against non-Christians.

"In God we trust" is not particularly Christian, as it makes no reference to Jesus Christ or to Christianity, just to faith in God. Perhaps you mean " discrimination against non-believers", rather than "non-Christians", as many non-Christians do believe in one God (who goes by many names...).

That said, I agree that the slogan should be an option via a specialty plate, even though it appears widely on American coins and currency.

However, I think there are many, many far more offensive things in today's world towards which my own ire and resulting energies would be more productively directed.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:39 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:

This tag is a wink and a nod to those who still harbor those views. Who still support the Confederate flag being a part of the state flag. Supports Confederate monuments all over the state and have official Confederate holidays in the state where the government shuts down to honor the Confederacy. And supports the laws, practices, and policies that attempt to disenfranchise some people while protecting others in the same state. The very laws, practices, and policies that have failed miserably and ensured that Mississippi is dead last in nearly everything.

Don’t be fooled. This tag is intended to resonate with the Ross Barnett “I love Mississippi” crowd. It’s a dog whistle to them. Nothing more, nothing less.
You're drawing a very long bow with these assumptions. Remember, 19 other states also make use of this phrase on license plates, not just Mississippi. Do you think what you've claimed here also applies to them?

Are you aware that the phrase in question also can be found in a later verse of "The Star-Spangled Banner"? It has a very long history in this country and only recently has become controversial in public use.

Perhaps it's good to examine any subtexts of how it's applied these days, but recognizing the history of its government-associated use in the United States - in addition to its present-day social and religious implications and connections - might help us view things with more insight and understanding.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Talking 'In God We Trust' will be on new Mississippi license plates

hmmmm...

50th out of 50 in all positive categories.

Must be a retarded god.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies