Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:30 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times

Advertisements

"God" is generic, Allah is specific to one religion, as is Yahweh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 11:38 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
"God" is generic, Allah is specific to one religion, as is Yahweh.
You mean they should speak English? That is a strange comment. Allah is the same "being" as that loved by Christians and Jews.

"The word is thought to be derived by contraction from al-ilāh, which means "the god", and is related to El and Elah, the Hebrew and Aramaic words for God"

"Christianity
The Aramaic word for "God" in the language of Assyrian Christians is ʼĔlāhā, or Alaha. Arabic-speakers of all Abrahamic faiths, including Christians and Jews, use the word "Allah" to mean "God""

Your comment is an example of "the Ugly American" who thinks everyone should speak English and use the same terms as a Baptist in Texas.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:39 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's odd, Iraq and Syria were both largely secular governments that on occasion had to deal with more radical Muslim elements within their country. For some reason we argued we needed to attack Iraq and Syria because "Muslims".
Change "Muslims" to "Money" and you will be closer to the truth.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Change "Muslims" to "Money" and you will be closer to the truth.
That's true but few in charge have any desire to be honest and we refuse to hold them accountable for that.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:41 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You mean they should speak English? That is a strange comment. Allah is the same "being" as that loved by Christians and Jews.

"The word is thought to be derived by contraction from al-ilāh, which means "the god", and is related to El and Elah, the Hebrew and Aramaic words for God"

"Christianity
The Aramaic word for "God" in the language of Assyrian Christians is ʼĔlāhā, or Alaha. Arabic-speakers of all Abrahamic faiths, including Christians and Jews, use the word "Allah" to mean "God""

Your comment is an example of "the Ugly American" who thinks everyone should speak English and use the same terms as a Baptist in Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_q9HV9otUM

Old 05-13-2018, 12:12 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Having the phrase available is very different than the phrase being automatically assigned to every resident purchasing a license plate. That smacks of a poorly disguised attempt to push a state religion in a secular country.
Then talk to the US Mint because its all over our money. You can't have outrage over a US state because its a red state and then say nothing about our money which has the same thing on it. When you do that then its obvious this only a partisan issue not a church and state issue.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 05-13-2018 at 01:03 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 12:31 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
By feeling the need to note "We didn't start it". As far as our involvement goes, we most certainly did.
Saying that we didn't started it is in no way saying that we were in the right.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:58 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
I never cease to be amazed at the stupid threads that go on and on...so I'll contribute but won't continue reading after having endured up to page 5... which was more than I should have gotten to. My thoughts and a few facts (so often lacking on "social media"):
  • In God We Trust is the motto of the United States of America (not Mississippi)
  • Mississippi's motto is Virtute et armis - By Valor and Arms (gee maybe they should put that on the plate instead...surely wouldn't raise any specialty group's hackles)
  • "God" is generic and universal term. It is not a Christian only notion or belief. Most religions old and new have a notion of a god. "God" goes by many different names. In English it is the commonly used term to refer to such a deity.
  • I'm (no expert...and) unaware of Christianity (the religion) having penned or used the saying "In God We Trust" in prayers, services, or religious teachings... though I suspect there will be many anecdotal examples of this presented. In my limited experience, "God" is something that faithful of many religions believe in... in various and sundry ways. It isn't just Christians.
  • For some reason Christians are maligned and attacked by a lot of people who don't understand most Christians or their teachings.
  • There are a lot of whiney people in this world who just look for pissing contests...thankfully most were pretty obscure until they found the Internet...sadly (to quote a few smart people) the Internet changes everything.
Play on...

Old 05-13-2018, 01:09 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
People are showing the ugliness in their hearts. Mississippi is the state with the highest percentage of blacks and blacks are the most religious race.

Rather telling. Carry on.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:10 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
I never cease to be amazed at the stupid threads that go on and on...so I'll contribute but won't continue reading after having endured up to page 5... which was more than I should have gotten to. My thoughts and a few facts (so often lacking on "social media"):
  • In God We Trust is the motto of the United States of America (not Mississippi)
  • Mississippi's motto is Virtute et armis - By Valor and Arms (gee maybe they should put that on the plate instead...surely wouldn't raise any specialty group's hackles)
  • "God" is generic and universal term. It is not a Christian only notion or belief. Most religions old and new have a notion of a god. "God" goes by many different names. In English it is the commonly used term to refer to such a deity.

The problem is if someone does not believe in god then In God We Trust is a horrible motto and not something they should be required to drive around with on their license plate. It should not be our motto, on our money or on license plates. If someone wants a specialty plate it has some phrase that shows their belief in god I have no issue with that. If someone wants a bumper sticker espousing whatever they want I have no problem with that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies