Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 12:35 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It is when the teacher is introducing her students to her WIFE. She could just say that her wife was her best friend instead.

Because of what that teacher did, the students would go home and query their parents about two women being married. And most parents don't want too have that talk so soon to their children.

The norm is that a child's best friend is usually another child of the same sex that enjoys the same interests and activities. And these are platonic friendships. And I do think that telling kids about it being okay to be gay and lesbian so young is just complicating these close platonic friendships and might make kids question their sexuality unnecessarily.

As it is, these days girls who are tomboy-like are likely to be viewed as potential transgenders or lesbians. And that is really tragic. I really mourn the loss of childhood innocence in these current times.
For real? So you think the better lesson for the 4th graders is to teach them that it's OK to lie, if it's to protect their snowflake parents from having to deal with the real world?

MMMmm-kay....

Honestly, if you can't explain to your own child, that you've been raising for what, 10 years, that some folks are not the same as you, and while you don't think it's OK, others do, and we have to accept the person, not necessarily their lifestyle, then you probably are not, and never were qualified to be a parent. By age 10, you've probably had all kinds of uncomfortable discussions, and this is just another one.

I'll bet that when your baby was six, and asked where babies came from, you didn't invite them into the bedroom on a Friday night and show them. I'd like to think you answered it with tact, and in the context that a six year old could understand and process. This is no different, other than your inability to see the world through any lens other than your own.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
It is when the teacher is introducing her students to her WIFE. She could just say that her wife was her best friend instead.

Because of what that teacher did, the students would go home and query their parents about two women being married. And most parents don't want too have that talk so soon to their children.

The norm is that a child's best friend is usually another child of the same sex that enjoys the same interests and activities. And these are platonic friendships. And I do think that telling kids about it being okay to be gay and lesbian so young is just complicating these close platonic friendships and might make kids question their sexuality unnecessarily.

As it is, these days girls who are tomboy-like are likely to be viewed as potential transgenders or lesbians. And that is really tragic. I really mourn the loss of childhood innocence in these current times.
Fourth graders know that gay people get married. And that they exist.

Even in Texas.

LOL.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM

211 posts, read 117,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Got it. Teachers can use the classroom as their own personal show and tell to impressionable young children. Loud and clear.
These are the kind of opinions thrown around in the south a few generations ago in regards to African Americans.

Newtovenice, hates the blacks, loud and clear. Utterly embarrassing.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:26 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I would need more information. If all the students were doing the same, it just is what it is. Other than that, it was unnecessary and I would question the purpose of the slideshow. Usually teachers don’t reveal much information about their personal lives, in my experience.
IDK. On our school FB page they put up a bio on all the new teachers. Most included a photo of their family and a small write up.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:29 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressHeat View Post
These are the kind of opinions thrown around in the south a few generations ago in regards to African Americans.

Newtovenice, hates the blacks, loud and clear. Utterly embarrassing.
Racial equality and gays... not equal issues at all.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:33 PM

263 posts, read 161,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again more nonsense from the public school system. i hope the teacher wins and gets what she wants.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Just because you don't agree with who she is as a person doesn't mean she shouldn't have the same rights of heterosexual teachers.

Its like saying teachers in interracial marriages shouldn't have photos of their spouses because you don't agree with the concept of interracial relationships.
Another good point.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:12 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is a Texas State public school. So you need to look at whether discrimination against gays is illegal under Texas or local law. Then you need to look at whether she got in trouble for showing in inappropriate picture of the costumes, or whether she got in trouble should showing a picture of her wife.
There is no violation according to the school guidelines, if there was you can be sure she would be gone already. It has nothing to do with the State of Texas, its the local district. I'm betting somewhere along the line a heterosexual teacher share their experience and it wasn't an issue.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:15 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
I wonder if this story would have gotten the same level of coverage if it happened in Dearborn MI in a school district majority Muslim?

Old 05-15-2018, 03:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wonder if this story would have gotten the same level of coverage if it happened in Dearborn MI in a school district majority Muslim?
I would think so. I mean, if the issue is being able to be yourself and teach, then yes.

What does Dearborn or majority Muslim have to do with it? Those Muslims still live in the USA, not in the Middle East.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:48 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Again, fourth graders are too young to have to deal with the concept of gay love and marriage.

Many 4th Graders can't even grasp and abstract concept like death, much less love or hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies