Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Texas Teacher Showed a Photo of Her Wife, and Was Barred From the Classroom

Good!

The moral compass has had to be calibrated, throughout history.
It has started to spin, again.

Push your gay agenda elsewhere. Indoctrinating someone elses kids to accept immoral behavior, is child abuse.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:13 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
All these people saying their teachers never discussed anything about their personal lives, I call B.S.

Every teacher I had in school discussed at least one thing about themselves outside of school. The funnest was my 9th grade English teacher would devote the first 5 mins of every Tuesday to discussing Ally McBeal (her favorite show)
Nope. None of my teachers in grade school every talked about their private lives. Nothing about their spouses or children. And why would they? We didn't care. And our teachers never asked us about our private lives either. Also, I don't remember starting school off with essays about what we did during our summer vacations. I think that we had better topics to write about.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:23 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/10/u...imes&smtyp=cur

A few points to ponder before reacting:

1. It is absolutely normal for teachers to share parts of their personal lives with their students such as what this teacher did.

2. Students are often given a chance to talk about their families and lives outside of school too.

3. Would it have been deemed inappropriate if Ms. Bailey was straight and showed photos of her and her husband?
If course if Ms Bailey was straight that would be fine because straight is being normal.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:30 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
If course if Ms Bailey was straight that would be fine because straight is being normal.
Correct. Heterosexuality is normal. Being LGBTQ is not.

Again, this is a fourth grade class and the students too young to have to be exposed to a obviously lesbian teacher. Fourth grade is also too early to have the birds and the bees talk. Sexuality should not be in the classroom.

At a high school level, a teacher being LGBTQ is not an issue. But definitely not for fourth graders.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:30 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Yep, Texas says it all.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:10 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Exactly.

When did teachers stop .... TEACHING????
There was not a single teacher in my school days who I did not know the name of their spouse, kids, and frequently their dogs/cats/birds/horses. Hell - my principal went from classroom to classroom after summer vacations with a slide projector to give lessons he created around his trips. I learned a lot about the Irish Famine, Ellis Island, how a canyon is formed, and, oh wait, HIS FAMILY, from those moments. Most of my teachers had pictures of their family on their desk. Not to mention, kids ask!

If parents have such a problem with homosexuality, it is their responsibility to pull their child out of society. By 4th grade, children know about homosexuality and, as proven in this case, interact with GBLTQ people on a daily basis. If you want your child to erroneously believe that's wrong, you can't expect society to bend to your perversions.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:17 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Again, this is a fourth grade class and the students too young to have to be exposed to a obviously lesbian teacher. Fourth grade is also too early to have the birds and the bees talk. Sexuality should not be in the classroom.

At a high school level, a teacher being LGBTQ is not an issue. But definitely not for fourth graders.
They need to wait until they are in high school to understand that some people are gay. Do you have any other ideas on what’s considered normal, maybe interracial marriages.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:18 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If I had a child I would not wish for it to he indoctrinated into a mindset that goes against my personal values. I would support the schools actions.
So in other words, you want your child to have the same closed minded views that you have.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:21 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

LOL, when I went to school, kids in 4th grade were already exploring each others bodies. By 5th grade they were having sex. And their parents always thought their kids were angels.

Oh, and by the way, being gay is normal to many people just not those who are closed minded.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:26 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If I had a child I would not wish for it to he indoctrinated into a mindset that goes against my personal values. I would support the schools actions.
I'm in this camp as well. I don't think there's any reason for a teacher to share personal family photos with children during work. Just like any other profession, over-sharing is discouraged and we typically check our personal lives at the door when we arrive at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies