Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 02:29 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I am surprised Stan Lee did not mandate that Captain America convert and undergo a sex change.

Sorry I could not resist.
Remember, Dizzney bought Marvel from Lee, they call most of the shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 02:35 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You're talking about a five-year-old comic book line, one of the few newer names that's been successful.

Not a new deal for comic book fans.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:08 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Really?

Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) - Marvel Comics Wiki
Ms. Marvel (Sharon Ventura)
Moonstone (Karla Sofen)
Ms Marvel disambiguation page

Kamala Khan gets powers from some mist and then just takes the name Ms Marvel, since in the Earth 616 timeline Danvers goes from Ms Marvel to Captain Marvel...who used to be a man, blah blah.

But for virtually the entire history of the character, 50 years this past March, Ms. Marvel was Carol Danvers. She didn't go Captain Marvel until 2012...or 44 years into the history of the character?
And since you want to post Wikipedia links, here’s one for for your reading pleasure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel_(Kamala_Khan)

Using the Kamala Khan version as "Marvel now introduces new character, Ms. Marvel, the teenage Muslim girl!!" as the first coming of the character is virtue signaling at its finest, since they leave off the "after 44 years of Ms. Marvel being Carol Danvers, standard white American girl, we are now proud to present the new and socially approved version of Ms. Marvel..." qualifier that anyone who reads comic books can recognize as Hollywood washing comic book canon through their social justice filters.

Watch what happens though. Guarantee her backstory in whatever social justice approved nonsense the movie studio comes out with will dwell on Islamophobia, her being tormented by classmates, seeing anti-Muslim stuff on TV, blah blah. Just wait. It will be standard sermonizing as virtue signaling.

All for the most recent and least enduring version of that character name thus far, given that it rightly belongs to Carol Danvers.
Doesn’t prove what I said wasn’t false. For the past several years Carol has been Captain Marvel and the new girl Ms Marvel. In fact her costume in in honor of Carol’s Ms Marvel costume without being a direct copy nor as revealing.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Really?

Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) - Marvel Comics Wiki
Ms. Marvel (Sharon Ventura)
Moonstone (Karla Sofen)
Ms Marvel disambiguation page

Kamala Khan gets powers from some mist and then just takes the name Ms Marvel, since in the Earth 616 timeline Danvers goes from Ms Marvel to Captain Marvel...who used to be a man, blah blah.

But for virtually the entire history of the character, 50 years this past March, Ms. Marvel was Carol Danvers. She didn't go Captain Marvel until 2012...or 44 years into the history of the character?

Using the Kamala Khan version as "Marvel now introduces new character, Ms. Marvel, the teenage Muslim girl!!" as the first coming of the character is virtue signaling at its finest, since they leave off the "after 44 years of Ms. Marvel being Carol Danvers, standard white American girl, we are now proud to present the new and socially approved version of Ms. Marvel..." qualifier that anyone who reads comic books can recognize as Hollywood washing comic book canon through their social justice filters.

Watch what happens though. Guarantee her backstory in whatever social justice approved nonsense the movie studio comes out with will dwell on Islamophobia, her being tormented by classmates, seeing anti-Muslim stuff on TV, blah blah. Just wait. It will be standard sermonizing as virtue signaling.

All for the most recent and least enduring version of that character name thus far, given that it rightly belongs to Carol Danvers.
You missed Monica Rambeau.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:39 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I get it..personal preference ect. It just seems there used to be occasional SH movies, now half the movies that come out involving someone having ridiculous magical powers.

There just isn't much real creativity or good writing anymore. Movies like My Cousin Vinnie, Scent of a Woman, Forest Gump.
I will agree with you to a point. Those movies you mentioned are very good, however, some of us like the fantasy stuff. It's fun to go to a movie and just veg out and not think about anything.

That being said, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I like the new Marvel universe. A big part of me sees the whole Avengers thing as becoming one convoluted mess before it's all over. Those super heroes have been my favorites since childhood. Seeing them all on the screen at the same time is a tad much. It's getting overly complicated and that's not what it's supposed to be about.

I shudder to think where Disney is going to take the Star Wars franchise.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:21 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Marvel Exec: Diversity to Blame for Comic Book Sales Slump – Variety
Marvel outrage after diversity, female characters blamed for sales | EW.com

So Marvel finds people aren't interested in "diverse" comic book heros, gets attacked for not being PC enough and now doubles down on diverse PC characters. That will surely increase sales...at Berkeley.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I will agree with you to a point. Those movies you mentioned are very good, however, some of us like the fantasy stuff. It's fun to go to a movie and just veg out and not think about anything.

That being said, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I like the new Marvel universe. A big part of me sees the whole Avengers thing as becoming one convoluted mess before it's all over. Those super heroes have been my favorites since childhood. Seeing them all on the screen at the same time is a tad much. It's getting overly complicated and that's not what it's supposed to be about.(
Didn't you ever read any of the many comic cross-overs and mash-ups?

Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Marvel Exec: Diversity to Blame for Comic Book Sales Slump – Variety
Marvel outrage after diversity, female characters blamed for sales | EW.com

So Marvel finds people aren't interested in "diverse" comic book heros, gets attacked for not being PC enough and now doubles down on diverse PC characters. That will surely increase sales...at Berkeley.
You realize you're reading year-old information, right? And Marvel comics has been making changes since then.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:13 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Have they ever addressed the issue in these comics that the superheroes only seem to age ever so slightly? Peter Parker was born maybe about 1950 making him nearly 70 years old now. Jay Jonah Jameson would be 100 if the character is still alive, I haven't touched a comic book for at least 15 years. Characters die and get brought back or they do kill off some now and again for real. I'm guessing Peter Parker, if still around, is now in his 40s maybe? Have they replaced him with another character in the comics?
They redo characters to make them more topical for the present and always with an eye for marketability. But usually these efforts just make the characters less able to stand the test of time. Sell a few comics now, then shelve the idea in a year or two.
They could do retro movies with the classic characters back in their original time periods, say the 1960s. They need some kind of new gimmick to keep making movies.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:31 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times
Will she stop Muslim men from killing the infidel beside them, or striking the head and hand from the unbeliever? Or will she help them do so?

Will she stop Muslim men from raping women and then murdeing them as honor killings?

Will she stop Muslim men from destroying important historical sites such as the Silk road Buddhas or Palmyra?

If she dies in an act of heroism, will she get 72 virgins? Will they be men or women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies