Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 02:08 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

Yup. Exactly why I have absolutely NO sympathy for those who chose to live in the most expensive areas of the US... and then bellyache about it. If you insist on having a Starbucks on every corner, and a strip mall and box store, that is your business, but don't moan about it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

You could, right now, buy older homes in great shape in an area just to the south of where I live for literally $30,000 to $60,000. And that is in small-town America with an extremely low crime rate. You could then commute to where I am (less than an hour commute) where decent jobs are a dime a dozen. Then you wouldn't have to make 300K per year just to eat and live in a dump apartment. You could easily live off from 40K or less if you are not living a ridiculous lifestyle and not in debt up to your eyeballs. But you choose NOT to do that because you just can't exist away from the bright lights and big city. Your choice. So stop bellyaching.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Downtown Wichita.
[u[url]
There’s no such thing as Downtown Wichita.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
With all due respect, I think I'd ask for Death with Dignity before moving to Wichita.

I hear you can live even cheaper in Somalia. Tropical also. No heat needed. Lots of other places you can live cheap - even on 1/2 that $9 an hour.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yup. Exactly why I have absolutely NO sympathy for those who chose to live in the most expensive areas of the US... and then bellyache about it. If you insist on having a Starbucks on every corner, and a strip mall and box store, that is your business, but don't moan about it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

You could, right now, buy older homes in great shape in an area just to the south of where I live for literally $30,000 to $60,000. And that is in small-town America with an extremely low crime rate. You could then commute to where I am (less than an hour commute) where decent jobs are a dime a dozen. Then you wouldn't have to make 300K per year just to eat and live in a dump apartment. You could easily live off from 40K or less if you are not living a ridiculous lifestyle and not in debt up to your eyeballs. But you choose NOT to do that because you just can't exist away from the bright lights and big city. Your choice. So stop bellyaching.
You can buy houses for that same price in or near Pittsburgh where you don't have to commute for an hour and you can also have your Starbucks and malls and sports stadiums and the basics of civilization.

I think I'd commit hari-kari before commuting an hour each way. This is a perfect example of how people become conditioned to about anything. I always worked within 10 minutes of where I lived.

Life is too short to waste hours a day. And you waste much more than that. You greatly up your odds of being maimed or killed - as it stands, car accidents kill something like 1 in 100 of us. Really high odds of meeting your maker with the "lifestyle" you mention.

Of course, this doesn't count the energy and pollution you are causing by such commutes.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Yup.But you choose NOT to do that because you just can't exist away from the bright lights and big city. Your choice. So stop bellyaching.
Let me make some wild assumptions.....

The Human Genome was not decoded near the area you mention.
The Internet was not invented and expanded nearby.
Great medical discoveries are not coming out of there.
Venture Capital is not being doled out nearby.
There are not a lot of great universities within 1/2 hour.
and on and on.....

You make it sound like our economic engines exist because people want a Starbucks on every corner. It's the exact opposite. Smart people congregate with other smart and productive people...often within reach of world-class universities and access to capital and other such things.

THEN, companies like Starbucks open up to fuel them.

I've lived in rural areas - some very rural (outhouses and all).
What you can't post pictures of are the dudes getting drunk inside their houses and beating on their wives. This is because it is all spread out....out of sight, out of mind. But lately you can find pics of all the opiate addicts and other living shortened lives.

But let's not pretend human nature isn't the same everywhere...and possibly more "enlightened" among those with higher IQ and more education.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:00 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Let me make some wild assumptions.....

The Human Genome was not decoded near the area you mention.
The Internet was not invented and expanded nearby.
Great medical discoveries are not coming out of there.
Venture Capital is not being doled out nearby.
There are not a lot of great universities within 1/2 hour.
and on and on.....

You make it sound like our economic engines exist because people want a Starbucks on every corner. It's the exact opposite. Smart people congregate with other smart and productive people...often within reach of world-class universities and access to capital and other such things.

THEN, companies like Starbucks open up to fuel them.

I've lived in rural areas - some very rural (outhouses and all).
What you can't post pictures of are the dudes getting drunk inside their houses and beating on their wives. This is because it is all spread out....out of sight, out of mind. But lately you can find pics of all the opiate addicts and other living shortened lives.

But let's not pretend human nature isn't the same everywhere...and possibly more "enlightened" among those with higher IQ and more education.
I don't live in a rural area--at least not anymore. Yes, there are two (quite famous) universities within 15 minutes of me. Yes, there is anything you'd ever want in the way of businesses surrounding me. Yes, there is explosive growth in my area--fastest in the US recently. Yes, there are more people living in my valley/county than there are the entire state of North Dakota. Yes, there are hospitals and doctors offices up the wazoo in my immediate area.

And YES, all of that is why I now hate where I live. You could pay me ten million dollars a month to live in one of your left or right coast hellholes (I spent part of my childhood in one of them) and I wouldn't do it. Where I am right now is plenty bad enough. Luckily, as I said in the earlier post, nobody is holding a gun to my head. As soon as my financial matters allow, I will be going to a place like North Dakota where you think every man is a redneck drinking in his outhouse whilst beating his wife. That alone tells me that you haven't spent much time in rural America. That and your closed mind.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:

This stuff is like a janitor claiming that they hate Beverly Hills and would NEVER live there. You guys find it so easy to run down places that you can’t live in anyway because you can’t afford it.

The reason why a place like San Fran is expensive is because it’s HIGHLY desirable. The reason why you can buy cheap fixer uppers where you live is because it AINT desirable.

So it’s not me or any other poster saying that the boondocks isn’t desirable...it’s the market. You believe in the market every other time so believe in it now.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
With all due respect, I think I'd ask for Death with Dignity before moving to Wichita.

I hear you can live even cheaper in Somalia. Tropical also. No heat needed. Lots of other places you can live cheap - even on 1/2 that $9 an hour.
To be real, I bet Mogadishu is a helluva lot more fun on a day to day basis than Wichita is. If you have a little money, I doubt that it’s that bad.

The rural areas of Somalia are much tougher.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:10 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The reason why a place like San Fran is expensive is because it’s HIGHLY desirable. The reason why you can buy cheap fixer uppers where you live is because it AINT desirable.
It's very desirable if you want to live with bums, homeless, filth, and poop everywhere.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
It's very desirable if you want to live with bums, homeless, filth, and poop everywhere.
You wingers have so much faith in what the free market says on every other topic, but you wanna push it aside for this one.

Again, the market SCREAMS that San Francisco is HIGHLY desirable!! The market says that Wichita is HIGHLY undesirable!

Don’t try to set aside the marketplace now when you think that the marketplace reigns supreme on every other topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies